Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dux
Sadly the simple procedure did not make a difference.

The search continues...
dux,

Have you noticed any improvement at all as the engine accumulates some miles? My car just hit 5K miles and although it still has the stumble, it's not as obvious as it was when new.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Has anyone had a tech drive the car with the PIWIS connected? Curious what it would indicate in regards to the VarioCam bump.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtony
dux,

Have you noticed any improvement at all as the engine accumulates some miles? My car just hit 5K miles and although it still has the stumble, it's not as obvious as it was when new.
I'm at 7k and it's been the same all along.
For a brief time (~24 hrs) the car was a completely different animal following a software upgrade. Smooth as silk and far more responsive. Sadly it reverted to its usual ways a day later.

If the stumble was gone for 24 hrs, then clearly it can be addressed and corrected permanently.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Sadly the simple procedure did not make a difference.

The search continues...
I recommend you try the dealer reload of the delivery software, dux.

ChuckJ

Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am dealing with this issue so I wanted to see if any of the players here had updates.

The facts:

- 2013 3.4 MT built in late April 2013
- Under light to medium acceleration I have a hesitation around 2500RPM
- Under harder acceleration I have a distinct stumble at 3KRPM
- I have tried many different gasolines with the same result
- I have had my car in three times for this issue
- The service tech found no codes, but did the crank sensor spacing adjustment anyway
- No change, but the tech drove the car with me in it and acknowledged the issue (this was a huge step)
- Service rep told me to drive it harder because it must be that I'm not driving aggressive enough (right, thanks)
- Certainly takes away from my enjoyment of the car

Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am dealing with this issue so I wanted to see if any of the players here had updates.

The facts:

- 2013 3.4 MT built in late April 2013
- Under light to medium acceleration I have a hesitation around 2500RPM
- Under harder acceleration I have a distinct stumble at 3KRPM
- I have tried many different gasolines with the same result
- I have had my car in three times for this issue
- The service tech found no codes, but did the crank sensor spacing adjustment anyway
- No change, but the tech drove the car with me in it and acknowledged the issue (this was a huge step)
- Service rep told me to drive it harder because it must be that I'm not driving aggressive enough (right, thanks)
- Certainly takes away from my enjoyment of the car
I have a 2012 base (although with PDK) and there is no hesitation. Sounds to me like it could be the variable cam acting up. I would document 3 work orders with no result and ride with them to show them what is happening. I would also try one other Porsche workshop and ask them to re-install the software just like they had received a new car. If you don't get any satisfaction, I would submit a lemon law action if you are the original owner.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 07-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I would document 3 work orders with no result and ride with them to show them what is happening.
I had the tech drive while I rode along. He acknowledged the hesitation. He did some software updates, still had the same behavior. He also drove a similar car to mine (2013 MT) that they had in the lot and said it was "normal behavior" since it did it on that car, too.

I think my next action will be to try a different dealer. Fortunately we have four Porsche dealers in my area.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
I had the tech drive while I rode along. He acknowledged the hesitation. He did some software updates, still had the same behavior. He also drove a similar car to mine (2013 MT) that they had in the lot and said it was "normal behavior" since it did it on that car, too.

I think my next action will be to try a different dealer. Fortunately we have four Porsche dealers in my area.
Best of luck in getting it sorted. My previous car, a 997.2, had a significant hesitation/stumble gong through the ~2500 rpm range - it actually at times felt like a misfire. After several visits to the dealer I asked if it would be possible to hook the car up to the computer and manually actuate the individual variocam actuators to determine if they were functioning properly. Bottom line was that they weren't able to go on a fishing expedition without seeing a code. No codes = no troubleshooting. Seriously frustrating.

My 991 also has the hesitation, but not as bad as the 997. Not sure if I want to invest a lot of time pursuing it. Considering the complexity of the Variocam system, it really doesn't surprise me that the changeover is not always completely seamless. What does surprise me though, is the fact that Porsche hasn't been able to perfect it.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I don't think that it is "normal behavior". That's just saying in other words they don't know how to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have the answer either ! Try different dealer seems to be your best shot if no one here can offer a solutioin !

Last edited by bccars; 07-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Glad you were able to get them to feel the issue. That needs to be documented (preferably on the work order). Software updates are not the same as taking the software down to delivery configuration, then installing the software that dealers install when they get the car from the factory. Good luck with the new dealer.

ChuckJ

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I recommend you try the dealer reload of the delivery software, dux.

ChuckJ
Tried your suggestion but the Service adviser was adamant that this is simply not possible (which basically means that they can't be bothered cos HQ won't reimburse them).
Complete BS given my years in Software Engineering.

If I care to keep this car I'll take it to an indy that has a brain and relishes a challenge.

If you can't properly diagnose your godforsaken product, then you should seriously consider stuffing a little less electronics and software into the thing.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Bumping an old thread again. I have the dreaded stumble. Do we have any solutions yet? I just dropped my car off at the dealer. Powerkit, 7MT. Mine is progressively getting worse. It started at about 3,750 miles and was very slightly noticable. I only noticed it on the highway. At first, I thought it was feedback from the rear suspension. Now the car stumbles in all gears around 2,000 RPMs while rolling on the throttle. It does it in all modes.

Last edited by Money2536; 08-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM
dux
@Money2536, you have my sincere condolences. Mine also started around the 4000 mile mark and you will most likely be told that it's "performing as intended / designed".

First they told me I was imagining things. Then (after we galloped down the street) the head tech acknowledged that he could feel it. S/W upgrades etc resulted in no permanent improvement (went away for 24 hrs) after which it was suddenly deemed as "operating as designed".

I have reported it 5 times and finally PCNA called me, gave me a case number, and I haven't been contacted once in 6 months.

I've owned several cars in this price range and Porsche is simply atrocious at acknowledging or addressing customer issues (with Nick Murray being our Poster Child).
Pathetic does not begin to describe their excuse for a customer service department.

Stealthboy, Runner1021, you and I are just a few that are imagining this "development" in our cars. Perhaps if there are enough of us, we'll get to a point where they can no longer ignore our over active imaginations.

Please post the findings from your visit.

PS. Prepare yourself for the predictable comments (about how you're not driving your car hard enough or don't know how to drive), from the same tired individuals on this forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Funny how they drive you nuts for customer satisfaction surveys while the paint is still curing, but how they really prove themselves is how they handle situations down the road in the warranty period!

--------------------- they've sent me reminders by mail, email, etc.. multiple times!!

We believe that owning a Porsche should be as enjoyable as driving a Porsche. Our goal is to provide you with truly excellent service and value at every opportunity.

A few weeks ago we had sent you an invitation to our customer satisfaction survey. Please complete our brief online survey to let us know about your recent experience with Aristocrat Motors. The feedback you provide will tell us if we are meeting your expectations. The survey will take 5 - 10 minutes.

Follow this link to the survey:

Take the survey

If you have any questions or comments, please contact 1-800-PORSCHE at your convenience.

Thank you for your time and your continued Porsche Passion. As always, we appreciate your business.
Sincerely,

Andrew Pine
Director, Customer Relations
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dux
@Money2536, you have my sincere condolences. Mine also started around the 4000 mile mark and you will most likely be told that it's "performing as intended / designed".

First they told me I was imagining things. Then (after we galloped down the street) the head tech acknowledged that he could feel it. S/W upgrades etc resulted in no permanent improvement (went away for 24 hrs) after which it was suddenly deemed as "operating as designed".

I have reported it 5 times and finally PCNA called me, gave me a case number, and I haven't been contacted once in 6 months.

I've owned several cars in this price range and Porsche is simply atrocious at acknowledging or addressing customer issues (with Nick Murray being our Poster Child).
Pathetic does not begin to describe their excuse for a customer service department.

Stealthboy, Runner1021, you and I are just a few that are imagining this "development" in our cars. Perhaps if there are enough of us, we'll get to a point where they can no longer ignore our over active imaginations.

Please post the findings from your visit.

PS. Prepare yourself for the predictable comments (about how you're not driving your car hard enough or don't know how to drive), from the same tired individuals on this forum.
I was deathly afraid of something like this happening to my $135,000 car. My car has been getting progressively worse. This is the first time in my life that I wished something would just break. What I don't want to do is play the taking it to the dealership game over and over again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?