Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Is this happening in all modes i.e. normal, sport, and sport+? I haven't noticed this at all on mine. Ill have to check it out today.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Money, I'm sorry you've joined our exclusive Hesitation Club.

In my extensive, careful observation, I have two modes of hesitation/stumble.

1) Driving at a constant RPM 2300-2500. Trying to maintain constant speed. It's like a fish tugging on your line - a slight hesitation that comes and goes like there's water in the fuel or something.

2) On more medium/hard acceleration up through a range, I get a big stumble at 3000 RPM. This may be related to the VarioCam repositioning.

Seems to be the same on normal or Sport modes.

I have at least had my tech acknowledge he felt something when I went on a drive with him. But that's where we stand. No codes = no repair. I could tell he felt for me. He tried updating the software (no change) and fixing a spacer on the flywheel position sensor (unrelated, but he was just trying things). He called the regional PCNA tech rep to see if he'd seen anything else around and no luck there.

I think more of us need to raise this up to PCNA. My next course of action is to take my car to a different dealer and basically tell them "drive this car and tell me it's normal". After that I'll be contacting PCNA directly.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Is this happening in all modes i.e. normal, sport, and sport+? I haven't noticed this at all on mine. Ill have to check it out today.
Yes all modes for me. It started at about 4,000 miles and has gotten worse with mileage. I'm at 4,600 now.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Money, I'm sorry you've joined our exclusive Hesitation Club.

In my extensive, careful observation, I have two modes of hesitation/stumble.

1) Driving at a constant RPM 2300-2500. Trying to maintain constant speed. It's like a fish tugging on your line - a slight hesitation that comes and goes like there's water in the fuel or something.

2) On more medium/hard acceleration up through a range, I get a big stumble at 3000 RPM. This may be related to the VarioCam repositioning.

Seems to be the same on normal or Sport modes.

I have at least had my tech acknowledge he felt something when I went on a drive with him. But that's where we stand. No codes = no repair. I could tell he felt for me. He tried updating the software (no change) and fixing a spacer on the flywheel position sensor (unrelated, but he was just trying things). He called the regional PCNA tech rep to see if he'd seen anything else around and no luck there.

I think more of us need to raise this up to PCNA. My next course of action is to take my car to a different dealer and basically tell them "drive this car and tell me it's normal". After that I'll be contacting PCNA directly.
The fish tugging on the line is a great analogy of what I'm experiencing.

One difficult part for me is that the dealership is a good hour and fifteen minutes from me. I know I'm going to have to commit the time and effort to get the car there multiple times before I can start kicking and screaming. I'm going to print this entire thread and the ones I can find on Rennlist to take with me. I guess I should involve the dealership management as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Good luck Money! What a pain...

Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
If PCNA doesn't acknowledge the issue, the dealer doesn't get paid to fix it correct? The dealer won't go out their way if they don't think they'll be paid for it I assume?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG958
If PCNA doesn't acknowledge the issue, the dealer doesn't get paid to fix it correct? The dealer won't go out their way if they don't think they'll be paid for it I assume?
That's why it starts to make sense to threaten "lemon law" and make it clear you will be very public about it.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Those that read my Journal know I'm slightly detail oriented, so I'm committing my every waking moment to getting this fixed. This dream is very quickly turning into a nightmare.

Alright, I just printed and highlighted about 100 pages of the multiple threads from this forum and Rennlist for my appointment tomorrow. I called the Sales Manager to let him know about the problem and make him aware I'm coming. He is super nice and threw out the "whatever it takes" to make you happy comment. My salesman, a super knowledgeable P-Car guy, is going to be there as well.

This time I'm going to do the driving first with the Service Manager in the car. I let the tech do all of the driving at the other dealership. I need to show them what is happening and then let them experience it after demonstrating.

I'm hoping it's going to be all hands on deck. The Sales Manager threw out the idea of them buying the car back from me, so hopefully we don't need to go down the lemon law path. This may be a quick 6 months of ownership and then into a GT3. We'll see. I'm just not interested in this version of my beloved C2S. The bucking, stumbling, and hesitation is just too pronounced. I can't live with it, but I'm not interested in losing $30,000 in 6 months.

On a side note, I put a call into Tom at Champion to ask him about GIAC software. Certainly, it wouldn't help my warranty case. If I can't come to some sort of fix or resolution and I'm stuck with a stumbling $135,000 car, then I might give it a whirl. Maybe I can take up a collection and be the guinea pig.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Money2536
Maybe I can take up a collection and be the guinea pig.
Get in line on the collection. I'm the guinea pigs daddy, so I get to go first!!!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Money2536
Those that read my Journal know I'm slightly detail oriented, so I'm committing my every waking moment to getting this fixed. This dream is very quickly turning into a nightmare.

Alright, I just printed and highlighted about 100 pages of the multiple threads from this forum and Rennlist for my appointment tomorrow. I called the Sales Manager to let him know about the problem and make him aware I'm coming. He is super nice and threw out the "whatever it takes" to make you happy comment. My salesman, a super knowledgeable P-Car guy, is going to be there as well.
Best of luck, and please keep us all informed. I have visited my dealer three times about this so I feel like I've worn out my welcome over this issue. Definitely a good idea to have the service manager drive while you're in the car. Do a swap so you drive and he drives. Having my tech drive with me in the passenger seat was the only way I got him to acknowledge it. Even then, later in the day when I got my call, it was still declared "normal".

Also, tell your service manager to start communicating this back up to PCNA. That's the only way it'll help everyone else here. That way next time I go in for this issue and my service guy contacts PCNA, at least something starts to coalesce.

Godspeed. I'm rather selfishly hoping you have a positive outcome so I have more leg to stand on in my fight!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck Matt. Hope it all gets resolved for you and that they find a solution so that other owners with the problem can benefit as well. Luckily, I do not have the problem (and hope I don't get it), but know how frustrating it can be.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by dux
Get in line on the collection. I'm the guinea pigs daddy, so I get to go first!!!
Do it man. I'll contribute to the cause. If that software fixed the problem and added some HPs... A man can at least dream.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Best of luck, and please keep us all informed. I have visited my dealer three times about this so I feel like I've worn out my welcome over this issue. Definitely a good idea to have the service manager drive while you're in the car. Do a swap so you drive and he drives. Having my tech drive with me in the passenger seat was the only way I got him to acknowledge it. Even then, later in the day when I got my call, it was still declared "normal".

Also, tell your service manager to start communicating this back up to PCNA. That's the only way it'll help everyone else here. That way next time I go in for this issue and my service guy contacts PCNA, at least something starts to coalesce.

Godspeed. I'm rather selfishly hoping you have a positive outcome so I have more leg to stand on in my fight!
I'm already pretty sure I know how this is going to go. The dealer promising me they are going to take care of me, the service department is going to say everything is fine, I'm going to go back serveral more times complaining about it, I'm going to hire a Lemon Law attorney, then maybe Porsche NA will do something about it.

This is going to suck!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
The biggest problem we face in attempting to resolve this problem is the fact that the dealers have apparently been well schooled by PCNA.

a) Do not admit that the stumble/hesitation exists.

b) If forced to admit that the stumble/hesitation does indeed exist in some vehicles, assure the owner that it is completely normal and that all cars do it. (Perhaps the best course of action would be to find someone in your area that has a car with no stumble and have the dealer drive the two back to back). So much for "they all do that sir."

I guess it then becomes a matter of precisely how bad the stumble is. I'd be willing to venture a guess that no dealer has ever determined one to be excessive.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by runner1021
The biggest problem we face in attempting to resolve this problem is the fact that the dealers have apparently been well schooled by PCNA.

a) Do not admit that the stumble/hesitation exists.

b) If forced to admit that the stumble/hesitation does indeed exist in some vehicles, assure the owner that it is completely normal and that all cars do it. (Perhaps the best course of action would be to find someone in your area that has a car with no stumble and have the dealer drive the two back to back). So much for "they all do that sir."

I guess it then becomes a matter of precisely how bad the stumble is. I'd be willing to venture a guess that no dealer has ever determined one to be excessive.
My comment to them will be, why didn't it do this for the first 4,000 miles?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?