Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
I tried skimming through the thread but didn't find anything on lemon laws. Have you looked into this? Does it even apply to your situation here?
We have had this discussed before, but here's my put.
It's very easy to file and very effective. I had a similar problem with my Honda Accord Hybrid back a few years ago, they said the issue was normal and the arbitrator told them to buy it back. In summary:
1. Ride with tech and get him to agree there's an issue and document it on the work order. Take a copy with you.
2. Ask them to fix it and when they say they have done the best they can do get them to document that.
3. Look in your warranty manual and follow the lemon law rules for your state. They will tell you who to contact to file.
4. Prepare your brief for the arbitration using the instructions provided by the company selected to do the arbitration. Address every issue without passion (that may be hard) but like they used to say: "just the facts, sir".
5. Present your case to the arbitrator and emphasize the safety aspect (e.g. every time this thing bucks I wonder if it's going to loose power and put me in an unsafe condition on the road).
6. Wait a couple weeks for the decision.
7. Go to the appointed place to get it inspected and turn it in.
8. They will charge you mileage for the time you have had it until the time the issue is documented. There are also time to file requirements.

Good luck

ChuckJ

Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
We have had this discussed before, but here's my put.
It's very easy to file and very effective. I had a similar problem with my Honda Accord Hybrid back a few years ago, they said the issue was normal and the arbitrator told them to buy it back. In summary:
1. Ride with tech and get him to agree there's an issue and document it on the work order. Take a copy with you.
2. Ask them to fix it and when they say they have done the best they can do get them to document that.
3. Look in your warranty manual and follow the lemon law rules for your state. They will tell you who to contact to file.
4. Prepare your brief for the arbitration using the instructions provided by the company selected to do the arbitration. Address every issue without passion (that may be hard) but like they used to say: "just the facts, sir".
5. Present your case to the arbitrator and emphasize the safety aspect (e.g. every time this thing bucks I wonder if it's going to loose power and put me in an unsafe condition on the road).
6. Wait a couple weeks for the decision.
7. Go to the appointed place to get it inspected and turn it in.
8. They will charge you mileage for the time you have had it until the time the issue is documented. There are also time to file requirements.

Good luck

ChuckJ

But... at step 2 they claim there is nothing to fix. They claim it is normal for the car and I'm just driving it wrong.

Also, I just want my car repaired, not traded in. This particular car is very special to me since I picked it up at the factory in Germany.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I would like to exhaust every available option before going to thru LL procedure and taking a hit on a car that I had no intention of selling (or is being bought back).

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL THAT I'VE CREATED https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mble-poll.html

Old 09-23-2014, 03:40 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dux
* This genius apparently diagnosed Stealthboy's car remotely by looking at another car 100's of miles away.
It's actually a very easy diagnosis, as PCNA has most assuredly told all service managers/advisors/techs that the problem does not exist; if you don't have the stumble, it's normal. If you do have the stumble, it's normal as well. PCNA will fight tooth and nail to avoid addressing this issue.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stealthboy
But... at step 2 they claim there is nothing to fix. They claim it is normal for the car and I'm just driving it wrong.

Also, I just want my car repaired, not traded in. This particular car is very special to me since I picked it up at the factory in Germany.
1. That's where you get them to say it's operating as it should on the repair ticket. As long as you have the tech saying he has identified the problem on one ticket you're okay.
2. When you file out the arbitration there will be an opportunity to ask the arbitrator to direct that the car be repaired. They will send a technical expert to the arbitration and there will be an opportunity to drive the car and demonstrate the problem to the technical expert and the arbitrator if you desire. In the case of the 911, you may have to take them separately if the expert says he can not fit in the rear seat. You would then demonstrate it to the expert and have the discussion upon returning to the meeting.

In the mean time, you might find the problem is fixed by re-installing the software that is installed when the dealer gets the car. You will know it has been re-installed by bringing up the service intervals and identifying that they have been changed from the standard ones shown in the maintenance book.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 09-23-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by dux
Personally, I would like to exhaust every available option before going to thru LL procedure and taking a hit on a car that I had no intention of selling (or is being bought back).

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL THAT I'VE CREATED https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mble-poll.html
But keep in mind this process will get their attention and the arbitrator can direct them to fix it and report back if that's what you have requested.

ChuckJ

Old 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by runner1021
It's actually a very easy diagnosis, as PCNA has most assuredly told all service managers/advisors/techs that the problem does not exist; if you don't have the stumble, it's normal. If you do have the stumble, it's normal as well. PCNA will fight tooth and nail to avoid addressing this issue.
Only if you permit them by not taking it to arbitration.

ChuckJ

Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stealthboy

I'm glad you wrote that. So many here say "lemon law! Lemon law!" but not everyone wants to take the route. Some of us with car issues would prefer that the car be fixed.

I still think that if you can get the service manager to acknowledge the issue (normal or not) then maybe they can become your advocate with PCNA.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I'm glad you wrote that. So many here say "lemon law! Lemon law!" but not everyone wants to take the route. Some of us with car issues would prefer that the car be fixed. I still think that if you can get the service manager to acknowledge the issue (normal or not) then maybe they can become your advocate with PCNA.
The lemon law route does not need end up with a buyback. I oughta know. It does force PCNA to respond to the issue. This can be a great first step for this issue to be recognized and dealt with fairly, opposed to them turning away from it.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dux
See posts No: 250... 251... etc
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I'm glad you wrote that. So many here say "lemon law! Lemon law!" but not everyone wants to take the route. Some of us with car issues would prefer that the car be fixed.

I still think that if you can get the service manager to acknowledge the issue (normal or not) then maybe they can become your advocate with PCNA.
The reason why people bring up LL is because it seems like the solutions are slim at this point; nobody is acknowledging a problem, nor are they taking any steps to address his issues. I personally had no idea that he had ordered his car and wanted to keep it, though I do take the blame for probably ignoring that info in the thread.

LL can also be used in conjunction with consumer protection laws to put an issue on Porsche's radar. Judging from OP's poll thread, it seems like a good amount of 991 owners have this same exact problem. All you need at this point is an attorney who is willing to gather all of the information and throw a class action on Porsche's desk. I hate suggesting it, but we've all seen how Porsche reacts (or fails to react) until social media/news outlets get involved.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Direct quote from the Porsche 991 brochure:

"VarioCam Plus is a two-in-one engine concept for adjusting the intake camshafts and switching the lift of the intake valves.The system first differentiates between driver inputs that typify normal, everyday driving and those inputs that demand maximum performance. The electronic engine management system then seamlessly adapts valve operation to the prevailing conditions. This results in instant acceleration, extremely smooth running and an extraordinary level of tractive power, but with a comparatively low level of fuel consumption."

Seems abundantly clear to me that any stumble or hesitation is abnormal by Porsche's own admission. I don't see any mention of even a slight stumble being acceptable.

Fix the problem Porsche.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Remember, this problem is not specific to the 991. Many 981 owners are experiencing the stumble, as well as many 997 owners (I can firmly attest to that, as my 997.2 was significantly worse than my 991). What's the common denominator between these different vehicles? You guessed it ........... the VarioCam system.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:40 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runner1021
Remember, this problem is not specific to the 991. Many 981 owners are experiencing the stumble, as well as many 997 owners (I can firmly attest to that, as my 997.2 was significantly worse than my 991). What's the common denominator between these different vehicles? You guessed it ........... the VarioCam system.
If it's normal, then why only on some 991's and why does it suddenly appear out of the blue never to be resolved?

Because something changed / stopped working.

There's the normal 3000+ rpm change-over dip in power that we ALL experience, and then there's the 2500 persistent tugging / stumble. Two very different things..

Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dux
There's the normal 3000+ rpm change-over dip in power that we ALL experience, and then there's the 2500 persistent tugging / stumble. Two very different things..
Agreed. I experience both, and I fear that the PCNA field tech was only addressing the 3K RPM change-over ;(.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM
dux
Please take a minute fill out this survey to help us get to the bottom of his issue.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-not-poll.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?