991 Side exhaust mufflers weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
billkam will become famous soon enough
991 Side exhaust mufflers weight

Does anybody happen to know what is the weight of the stock side mufflers on the 991?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
No idea, but we are putting on Fabspeed side mufflers (and a Vorsteiner rear spoiler lid) this Tuesday. I'll see if we can weigh the old ones.

Last edited by nicoli; 02-24-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Ajax-Prime will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nicoli
No idea, but we are putting on Fabspeed side mufflers (and a Vorsteiner rear spoiler lid) this Tuesday. I'll see if we can weigh the old ones.
Remember to weigh the Fabspeeds too.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
And take before and after videos comparing sound and if possible dynos!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
You have PSE, don't you? If so, it will be interesting to hear your impressions of the "new sound" vs the PSE.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GS997S
You have PSE, don't you? If so, it will be interesting to hear your impressions of the "new sound" vs the PSE.
Yes and I love the 991 factory PSE. I wanted a bit more sound, very interested to see how this turns out. We will not be touching the PSE, just replacing the side-cans. It will hopefully work as before but with a bit more flavor.

Originally Posted by Havok
And take before and after videos comparing sound and if possible dynos!
It's my understanding there will be no real power gains with just the side muffler replacement. We are not putting in air intakes or anything else, don't need to remove the rear bumper. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the engine revs a bit more freely or something. I am bringing a buddy for the 3 hour install wait so we can do a before and after vid. Benchmark Motoring in Seattle is the shop, they put a Fabspeed Maxflo Valvetronic muffler set on a 997.2 4S (it did not have PSE) for me last year.

Last edited by nicoli; 02-24-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 AM
littlebear is on a distinguished road
What is the purpose of the side mufflers?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
What happens in the US to warranty when you do this? In Canada, if you want the additional factory warranty (more time and mileage) all work must be done at an authorized dealer over the life of the original warranty and have no modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars Canada

John in Vancouver

Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Snowczar
What happens in the US to warranty when you do this? In Canada, if you want the additional factory warranty (more time and mileage) all work must be done at an authorized dealer over the life of the original warranty and have no modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars Canada

John in Vancouver
Good question. There seems to be disagreement among owners in the US as to wheter exhaust mods after the catalytic converters can cause issues with warranty claims. Some say yes, some say no. My dealer's service manager, and also a PCNA rep, told me that depending on the type warranty claim, exhaust modification could cause warranty claim denial.

I guess it just comes down to how comfortable an owner is with taking the chance, and whether the modification is worth the potential risk.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by littlebear
What is the purpose of the side mufflers?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
You're google-fu is impressive my friend!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
You're google-fu is impressive my friend!
ahh-so, as it is written, so shall it be googled..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Excellent article. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i thought they were 15 lbs & the centre was 25 so if you do both 40 lbs off the rear end. Fab speed site has all those details if i remember correctly.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
clear tail lights drop 200lbs so not sure why they aren't going out the door like mad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Side exhaust mufflers weight