MT Hold Function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
MT Hold Function

Anyone having trouble with the automatic "Hold" function on their MT 991's? Today, I was on a very slight grade and the "Hold" function activated on my vehicle to keep me from rolling back. It wouldn't release when I tried to move forward. Took me about 5 attempts with near stalls before it released. I tried to reproduce the problem in my driveway when I got home, but was not successful. Anyone else experiencing problems with this feature or know any tricks to keep this from happening?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
991TT is on a distinguished road
i think its a mistake that porsche did .... with MT

MT= HAND BRAKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

its like having a cheesburger without the cheese

Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I remember a long post on this too...not sure 6SO orRennlist...

Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
never happened to me but here is what i do.

when you are stopped try not to engage both brake and clutch. you release the brake earlier as you step on the clutch, that way HOLD function doesn't engage.

Originally Posted by dhill911
Anyone having trouble with the automatic "Hold" function on their MT 991's? Today, I was on a very slight grade and the "Hold" function activated on my vehicle to keep me from rolling back. It wouldn't release when I tried to move forward. Took me about 5 attempts with near stalls before it released. I tried to reproduce the problem in my driveway when I got home, but was not successful. Anyone else experiencing problems with this feature or know any tricks to keep this from happening?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
I had exactly the same thing happen to me on my 2013 C4S about 3 weeks ago with about 900 miles on the odometer. It has only happened to me once (I now have 1,500 miles on the odometer).

After several failed attempts to get the car moving in first gear, I finally turned off the ignition and then turned it back on. That took care of the problem, but not before I was completely humiliated by the experience. I'm sure all the cars behind me at the red light thought the guy driving the expensive Porsche might have money the money to buy the car, but not the skill necessary to drive it.

When I bought the car I thought the "hill control" feature was a great idea. But in practice I find it disconcerting to have the break on while I try to accelerate in first gear when stopped on a slope. I wish I could just turn the damn thing off!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
No offence but i'm sure all the cars behind you must have thought you got no skill to drive a MT like i said try not to step on them both at the same time.

Originally Posted by SergePorsche
I'm sure all the cars behind me at the red light thought the guy driving the expensive Porsche might have money the money to buy the car, but not the skill necessary to drive it.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Yes, tachyon, I think your suggestion should take care of the problem. I'm just so conditioned to holding the break when on a hill that I do it instinctively. Letting go of the break before I engage the clutch, and relying on the Hold function to be there for me, is like those team-building exercises where they ask you to fall backwards into the arms of your co-workers. It takes a lot of trust.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM

I know it takes a while to get used to it. good luck and enjoy your new baby.

Yes, tachyon, I think your suggestion should take care of the problem. I'm just so conditioned to holding the break when on a hill that I do it instinctively. Letting go of the break before I engage the clutch, and relying on the Hold function to be there for me, is like those team-building exercises where they ask you to fall backwards into the arms of your co-workers. It takes a lot of trust.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tachyon
never happened to me but here is what i do.

when you are stopped try not to engage both brake and clutch. you release the brake earlier as you step on the clutch, that way HOLD function doesn't engage.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen to me on my 2013 C4S about 3 weeks ago with about 900 miles on the odometer. It has only happened to me once (I now have 1,500 miles on the odometer).

After several failed attempts to get the car moving in first gear, I finally turned off the ignition and then turned it back on. That took care of the problem, but not before I was completely humiliated by the experience. I'm sure all the cars behind me at the red light thought the guy driving the expensive Porsche might have money the money to buy the car, but not the skill necessary to drive it.

When I bought the car I thought the "hill control" feature was a great idea. But in practice I find it disconcerting to have the break on while I try to accelerate in first gear when stopped on a slope. I wish I could just turn the damn thing off!
Yah, I know I was probably being laughed at, but what really made me nervous was getting hit from behind because the person behind me saw me try to move and started to move themselves. I wish the feature could be turned off.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
GTSLVR991S is on a distinguished road
I've been familiar with "hill assist" with my last two cars now(bmw 335 and m3) and Porsche definitely needs some pointers from them. With the bimmers, the instant you press the accel pedal the brake would be released. So it felt more natural while still helping on severe inclines. Whereas the Porsche it seems as though there's about a one second mandatory hold, whether the go pedal is pressed or not. So at first I would be jerky, pressing too soon. After a couple of attempts(don't have many hills above the gradient limit in my commute) I adapted to the one second hold and timed it well enough. Still bothers me that its not instant but got used to it fairly easily. Just try to ease the pressure for a moment until the brake releases. Good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
I think we all had trouble getting used to it on the first few tries. I stalled mine about 5 times when I first got it. Although it seems unnatural at first, when the Hold light is on, just take you foot off the brake. When you want to take off, just press on the accelerator and slowly release the clutch. The hold will disengage when the clutch bites and you drive off.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by DBYT
I think we all had trouble getting used to it on the first few tries. I stalled mine about 5 times when I first got it. Although it seems unnatural at first, when the Hold light is on, just take you foot off the brake. When you want to take off, just press on the accelerator and slowly release the clutch. The hold will disengage when the clutch bites and you drive off.
Hey Darren, 99% of the time it works fine, but on 2 occasions the break/hold function wouldn't release. I did notice today, if I engage and disengage the parking break, the hold function is deactivated. I will use this method when it stick's next time.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
My hill hold engages every day during daily driving here - I have to admit the first time was a surprise! I just give it extra gas and it's been fine after, but it does need a firm push off the line.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 AM
kes7u will become famous soon enough
I'm ordering a 991S MT as well. I hate the 'hold' function on my wife's 07 335i. I'm mortified that the function sounds worse on the Porsche!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MT Hold Function