Evo article comparing 991 4S with X51 power kit to Audi R8 V10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
flyingbrian31 and lebreeze are you not able to blow up the picture and text to 200%?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:47 PM
flyinbrian31 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by handfull
flyingbrian31 and lebreeze are you not able to blow up the picture and text to 200%?
I can click on the images but they don't get all that much bigger.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flyinbrian31
Thanks for posting, I just wish I could actually read it lol.
I'm glad someone said that, I thought it was just my old eyes.

ChuckJ

Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I'm glad someone said that, I thought it was just my old eyes.

ChuckJ
Same here. Text VERY fuzzy and unreadable when it's large enough

Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Chuck I was just getting ready to post these. For those who can't read the article, I tried scanning it again and the results are the same. Although I can read it if I blow up to 200%.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
Chuck I was just getting ready to post these. For those who can't read the article, I tried scanning it again and the results are the same. Although I can read it if I blow up to 200%.
Thanks, Bob.

ChuckJ

Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mrstep
"Steep though it is, the Powerkit really is worth the money, imbuing the 3.8 with the same same addictive top-end pizzazz that we love in the base 911's smaller 3.4-litre engine."

Having a MT base, that's the most interesting comment to me and makes me wonder what they mean. Well, other than that the base is a lot of fun too.

I'm about 2/3 through break-in, absolutely love the car, and just need to get through the final miles even more quickly now. With warmer weather arriving, that should be much easier.
Means it is particularly sweet as it runs up to the redline.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Means it is particularly sweet as it runs up to the redline.
Good to know, not too much further on the break-in period, it's really enjoyable already, and I have to say the tires feel much better at 70 degrees than they did at 50 degrees. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
New To The Forum:

Hello all.., happy to find company regarding the X51 option and manual transmission.

I've spent over a year on the configurator deliberating the various options and have carefully optioned a C2S to an almost obscene level.

I think the 991 GT3 is absolutely stunning, but there are a few basics I've kept coming back to over and over. Coming from 15 years of BMW's. Last was a 2011 M3. Stubborn and old school as it may be, I opted for the 7 speed manual (driver involvement). Yes, I know the PDK is sensational and quicker shifting. Also, a back seat is something I'd like to have. Went around the block many times on the pro/con merits of the X51 power kit, and opted for it against the opinion of several individuals with far more experience with Porsche products than myself. Other than a years worth of research on everything "Porsche" I could get my hands on, I'm new to the brand.

Thanks for starting this thread..., minority maybe, but glad to have company among others who have opted for 7 speed manual, C2S, X51.

I have a mid-April build date.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Thank you VERY kindly!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by CarreraS737
New To The Forum:

Hello all.., happy to find company regarding the X51 option and manual transmission.

I've spent over a year on the configurator deliberating the various options and have carefully optioned a C2S to an almost obscene level.

I think the 991 GT3 is absolutely stunning, but there are a few basics I've kept coming back to over and over. Coming from 15 years of BMW's. Last was a 2011 M3. Stubborn and old school as it may be, I opted for the 7 speed manual (driver involvement). Yes, I know the PDK is sensational and quicker shifting. Also, a back seat is something I'd like to have. Went around the block many times on the pro/con merits of the X51 power kit, and opted for it against the opinion of several individuals with far more experience with Porsche products than myself. Other than a years worth of research on everything "Porsche" I could get my hands on, I'm new to the brand.

Thanks for starting this thread..., minority maybe, but glad to have company among others who have opted for 7 speed manual, C2S, X51.

I have a mid-April build date.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, I'm relatively new to the forum as well. I too opted for the X51 but with PDK. I did quite a bit of analysis on the power kit and was strongly considering the GT3 but I believe it will be a very track focused car, rather than a great all a-rounder. I'm not sure if your analysis uncovered the details of where in the power curve the GT3 and X51 develop their torque but it is very telling.

2000 rpms X51 +30
3000 rpms X51 +30
4000 rpms X51 +40
5000 rpms X51 +18
6000 rpms X51 dead even
7000 rpms X51 -3

For me, the fact that the GT3 develops so little torque until 6000 rpms meant the car was not going to be as much fun as the X51 optioned Carrera S in day to day driving. It looks like the GT3 is going to be a blast at the track, but it's going to have be on full boil most of the time. Take care.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
For those of you who are unable to read the review it is available for purchase on line through Zinio http://www.zinio.com/www/index.jsp?_requestid=415692

I believe Evo is one of the best car enthusiast magazines and the April issue (this review is in the March isuue) has a nice review on the new GT3 and a retrospective on the prevoius GT3s. In addition, it discusses PDK and its relationship to Porsche etc.... As an added bonus there's a great article on the new F12, Aventador and Aston Martin....and much, much more. The articles are very well written and these guys love cars.

I purchase the on line edition for less than $5 and import it to my PC and Android device.

Happy Motoring

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
handfull,

Thanks, and yes I did notice that as well. The only potential heartburn for me is regarding the stratospheric price I've landed at the way I have spec'd a Carrera S, X51 manuals vs. the 132,000.00 base of the 2014 GT3.

I will be eating quite a bit as I'd expect Porsche doesn't value the options at the time of re-sale like they charge for them new. So I've been told anyway. However, the reason I've taken so much time to build is I plan to keep the car. The GT3 would seem the better value financially, but I will be on the street 95% of the time with this car, like having a back seat (even if only for hobbits and children), and...a manual transmission.

Now, if only someone has some good ideas on how to cover intake for the center radiator of the X51 package. I like the mesh covers on the GT3. Does Porsche, Suncoast, or any aftermarket offer some OEM like mesh to prevent leaves and road debris from accumulating and/or damaging the radiator on X51 equipped cars? Thanks Again.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I think we need that infinitely variable cam they are putting on the turbo.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo article comparing 991 4S with X51 power kit to Audi R8 V10