Evo article comparing 991 4S with X51 power kit to Audi R8 V10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM
JoeInDallas will become famous soon enough
I test drove an Audi R8 V10 (2010 with R-tronic), followed within the day by a 991 C4S PDK(no powerkit).

The Audi is sexier. The torque difference is significant. The sound is wonderful.

I still chose to order the 991 C4S with $70,000 in options (including powerkit and aerokit). Why? I just feel like the Porsche is a better car. I would not have to drive the Porsche every day, but I would want to. If your all about short drives on a weekly basis, buy the Audi R8. If you want a car that you are going to be pleased to drive on any (and possibly every) given day of the year, the Porsche may make more sense to you. It did to me.

I am not as much about impressing the neighbors and teenagers, as I am about impressing myself. Even still, the Porsche was not the easiest choice. For me, I am glad I chose it.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
One other thing, for those of you that live at higher elevations, the revised air intake and engine modifications allow the engine to breath a lot easier. This is especially appreciated.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Grant is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by handfull
One other thing, for those of you that live at higher elevations, the revised air intake and engine modifications allow the engine to breath a lot easier. This is especially appreciated.
This is of interest to me too, as I also live in Colorado. I'm just not so sure that the less restrictive air intake and breathing when at sea level translates to a disproportionate (or even proportionate) benefit with the low-density air at high elevations. Not so sure the full benefit would be realized here. Of course we lose 15% at best in Denver and not sure we'd be seeing more than 20hp more from the X51. If anyone has compared up at altitdue, I'd be interested. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Grant
This is of interest to me too, as I also live in Colorado. I'm just not so sure that the less restrictive air intake and breathing when at sea level translates to a disproportionate (or even proportionate) benefit with the low-density air at high elevations. Not so sure the full benefit would be realized here. Of course we lose 15% at best in Denver and not sure we'd be seeing more than 20hp more from the X51. If anyone has compared up at altitdue, I'd be interested. Thanks!
  • The power kit includes revised cams, heads, air intake and ecu. The non power kit 991S runs out of steam in the upper rpms. This is not the case with the power kit version as it screams to redline. I'm not sure to what degree the revised air intake is responsible, but if the ecu is performing its job it should be able to adjust to varying parameters.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by C4S_X51
Man I just can't believe how journalists just type anything they find out, without any verifications whatsoever...
A 991 C4S X51 sprint from 0-60 in 4.4s?!?
This journalist should write articles in family magazines & not car magazines
Taking a 991 C4S X51 without PDCC to battle on a track with a much stronger (on paper) V10 car that has a Dynamic Suspension is simply unfair.
And you know what, they got the 2 cars in manual transmissions because the PDK is 100 times faster and more reliable than the Audi S-tronic gearbox.
That journalist clearly wanted the Audi to win, and he picked the 2 cars accordingly...Still, he was surprised at the end

Throwing verdicts here and there just for the sake of writing an article is sooo unprofessional, because not many of us would be able to really know the truth that is so hard to find nowadays...

Giving his verdict about the PCCB is unprofessional and misleading...
It might be a bit expensive, but saying that its not worth every penny of it is soooo cruel and untrue.
PCCB not only gives you bigger diameter rotors, and much shorter stopping distances that could save you from wrecking your car, or sending someone to the hospital...
Those 2 issues alone, make PCCB for me A MUST!
PCCB allows you to save a bit less than 5KG on each wheel, this is called unstrung weight, and unstrung weight is the best remedy for sports cars
Driving "A bit" fast downhill for a few minutes and you will notice the difference when you look in your rear view mirror and see that you're the only one capable of keeping this pace, while all others backed down...Isn't this simply amazing?
Man, the car would still stop at the end of the downhill the exact same way as when you started it, if not better...
That's what PCCB would offer to an everyday user like myself...
The only thing right about that article is that the C4S won at end, despite the handicap of not having PDCC.

It's ironic that you take umbrage at possibly the finest-written car magazine in the world but your post is a jumbling, incoherent mess.

As has already been shown to you, the power figures quoted by EVO are what are provided by the manufacturer, verbatim. If you read the magazine, you'll know that numbers are not a primary concern of theirs; they focus more on the emotion of driving so they're not likely to research the hell out of a number they're given and validate it with dyno-testing. If you're interested in only numbers, may I direct you towards any number of US car magazines?

I don't even want to deal with your assertions of him saying 'PCCB isn't worth every penny' as being 'unprofessional' and 'misleading'. These are what you call OPINIONS; the fact that PCCB's stop sooner/resist fade better are not in question by the author. What is in question is how much they offer as a value proposition - there is no obligation for car owners to fit the best available OEM brake package possible on a car and there is no obligation for a magazine to endorse said option, especially when it costs so much.

Secondly, I defy you to show me data showing that the dual-clutch in the Audi, a gearbox that has been described as very good, is significantly slower than the Porsche PDK. Even if it is 50 milliseconds slower ( whopping 30% or so slower), you realize that two different manual gearboxes will also have different shift speeds, and because they are slower to begin with, their deltas are likely to be even wider? What next, we shouldn't test cars because they don't have identical gear ratios?

Finally, the magazine was honest enough to preface the article by saying they were in a dilemma regarding which spec of car to choose with the Audi. I'm sure you're extremely anxious to justify your purchase of the x51 package and you don't really need to be, you have a great car and I'm sure it's enhanced by the package.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:51 AM
be loose is an unknown quantity at this point
How about adding only the powerkit headers to a 2016 GTS with TPC/Cobb ECU tune. What would I expect there?

Also some news: Cobb has their PDK tune ready to market.