Evo article comparing 991 4S with X51 power kit to Audi R8 V10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I think we need that infinitely variable cam they are putting on the turbo.

ChuckJ
I'll take it.....maybe in the next generation?!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarreraS737
Now, if only someone has some good ideas on how to cover intake for the center radiator of the X51 package. I like the mesh covers on the GT3. Does Porsche, Suncoast, or any aftermarket offer some OEM like mesh to prevent leaves and road debris from accumulating and/or damaging the radiator on X51 equipped cars? Thanks Again.
I have looked, but there's nothing out there currently for the 991's center radiator. Rennline has covers for the other front ones providing you don't have the parking sensors.
Lots for the previous model of course. You can always try making your own as well. I would rather have a kit to install first than to engineer it myself. A google search brought up a few homemade ones and such, but again they were for the 997s mostly.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Sure seems like a missed opportunity for Porche while leaving money on the table.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
Well, It's On The Ship, Mid-Atlantic.

Now I gotta go find some money!

Taking donations!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
neeko877 is on a distinguished road
Hey CarreraS737,

I'm looking to get my first porsche soon too and had a bmw 1M. I am also addicted to manual transmission and will be getting the X-51 as well. It's nice to see another member go this route, as I only know of one other member that is doing euro delivery on his manual X-51 C2S. Mine will be a DD so like you, I think it will be a nice compromise instead of a GT3. Back seats, less stiff ride etc.

Like you said, there is more depreciation with a highly optioned car, but since you are planning to keep it a while the options will be much appreciated and worth it i'm sure. I am also planning to get a highly optioned car, I don't want to have any regrets.

I am waiting for the targa though which is hopefully coming early 2014. My only hesitation was deciding on whether or not I should wait for 991.2 (estimated 2016) to go big with a custom build with the X-51, and just do a 2 year lease until then. However I think I'm gonna go for the custom build now (2014), that way after 5 or 6 years I could always get one of the last 991.2 Targa's to hold me up while the next gen gets released.

As you can see, I think about this probably WAY too much.

I settle on a new color just about every single day

Good luck with the wait and keep us posted with pics

Nick

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by CarreraS737
Well, It's On The Ship, Mid-Atlantic.

Now I gotta go find some money!

Taking donations!!!
How did you do that? Your build wasn't supposed to take place until the end of April. Let me know so I can use the same technique to push mine forward. Tell us about your build and CONGRATULATIONS!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
Actually, no technique employed. I had originally pushed back my build slot from September 2012 till March 2013 while I got up to speed perusing the forums, magazines, and configurator.

After deciding to splurge for the X51 (along with everything else), I returned to the dealer hoping to confirm before the order locked. Once in place, I noticed the projected "build date" had automatically moved to a later date (April 16th). I think maybe to account for the X51 engine build and other Porsche Exclusive options etc. The explanation given was that certain selections route the car/engine off the standard production line (not verified).

At that point, I finally decided to disengage from the Porsche configurator. I felt very content with everything. I did consider the fact that I was possibly well into, or past GT3 price territory (although speculation at that time was for the 991 GT3 to be upwards of 160K+). The sales manager was apparently beginning to fret the "build" and requested I plop down a little extra "coin-of-realm" on the deposit. Guess as a buffer in the event I flaked leaving them with the car and all the options I'd selected. I can appreciate the concern. I have my moments when I've had to question the financial wisdom of where all the options have brought the final price on a C2S. I mean the options could actually buy a base boxster for example, but I try not to think of it that way. On some very impractical yet inexplicably worthwhile level..., it makes sense to me. Maybe because I want it to, plain and simple. You earn it, you pay for it...might as well get what you want. It is nice to know I've got company.

Anyway, I casually stopped by the dealership a few days ago to get myself a little needed "FIX" (staring at Porsches) and asked how things were coming. I joked if the build was "locked" and jested with my sales rep about second thoughts on the color choice, X51, others options etc. I was expecting him to tell me "too bad, it's finally locked". After briefly checking into it, and much to my surprise, he told me "your car is built...VIN number already assigned", and went on with..., "actually, it's already on the ship" and even showed me a map of the ships progress in The Atlantic.

So, here I am awaiting it within 1-2 weeks. Guess it moved ahead quicker than projected, or I misunderstood the dates

GT SILVER, C2S, 7 SPEED MANUAL, SPASM, X51, AEROKIT CUP!

Thanks To Everyone. Thanks For All The Information/Pictures and Insights Available On This Forum. Looking Forward To It.

Last edited by CarreraS737; 04-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You never know, congratulations!

ChuckJ

Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Very, very exciting and just kidding about the technique.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM
neeko877 is on a distinguished road
Sounds awesome, congrats. What wheels did you go with? Any interior mods like colored gauges/contrast stitching?

I heard the x51 is underrated by porsche, be interesting to see a dyno of a x51 991. A quick google search didn't find anything for me. maybe it's cause they were recently released and need around 6k miles before full power and break-in is achieved.

congrats again, gonna be a beast ;-)

Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neeko877
I heard the x51 is underrated by porsche, be interesting to see a dyno of a x51 991. A quick google search didn't find anything for me. maybe it's cause they were recently released and need around 6k miles before full power and break-in is achieved.
I'm signing up for a dyno day next month being hosted by our local PCA. I'll post the results afterward.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
I'm signing up for a dyno day next month being hosted by our local PCA. I'll post the results afterward.
Great, looking forward to the results. Will there be other 991S's there? Although it's too late to do a before and after dyno, maybe you could take note of the other participants' stock 991S dyno numbers and their corresponding odometer miles as well. The lengthy test drive I took was with an S that had over 11,000 miles. When I returned with my wife a week later, we test drove an S with 12 miles on the odometer. The difference between the two in terms of quickness was like night and day. This car is definitely one that gets better with miles.

Last edited by handfull; 04-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DocMalone
Great article. I happen to agree with the verdict. I have the V8 R8 (2011) and a C2S and the author is spot on with his comparison of the handling.
The only disagreement I have is that the V8 R8 sound is orgasmic. I have listened to the V10 and V8 side by side and the V8 is a classic muscle car growl and is surprisingly much better than the V10.
In every other way I prefer my 991.
+1, in a pure contest of audio signatures, the Audi V8 wins over Porsche w PSE, V10, and AMG

Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 PM
C4S_X51 will become famous soon enough
Wink

Man I just can't believe how journalists just type anything they find out, without any verifications whatsoever...
A 991 C4S X51 sprint from 0-60 in 4.4s?!?
This journalist should write articles in family magazines & not car magazines
Taking a 991 C4S X51 without PDCC to battle on a track with a much stronger (on paper) V10 car that has a Dynamic Suspension is simply unfair.
And you know what, they got the 2 cars in manual transmissions because the PDK is 100 times faster and more reliable than the Audi S-tronic gearbox.
That journalist clearly wanted the Audi to win, and he picked the 2 cars accordingly...Still, he was surprised at the end

Throwing verdicts here and there just for the sake of writing an article is sooo unprofessional, because not many of us would be able to really know the truth that is so hard to find nowadays...

Giving his verdict about the PCCB is unprofessional and misleading...
It might be a bit expensive, but saying that its not worth every penny of it is soooo cruel and untrue.
PCCB not only gives you bigger diameter rotors, and much shorter stopping distances that could save you from wrecking your car, or sending someone to the hospital...
Those 2 issues alone, make PCCB for me A MUST!
PCCB allows you to save a bit less than 5KG on each wheel, this is called unstrung weight, and unstrung weight is the best remedy for sports cars
Driving "A bit" fast downhill for a few minutes and you will notice the difference when you look in your rear view mirror and see that you're the only one capable of keeping this pace, while all others backed down...Isn't this simply amazing?
Man, the car would still stop at the end of the downhill the exact same way as when you started it, if not better...
That's what PCCB would offer to an everyday user like myself...
The only thing right about that article is that the C4S won at end, despite the handicap of not having PDCC.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 AM
C4S_X51 will become famous soon enough
Evo Magazine

OMG, I just noticed that the EVO MAGAZINE journalist comparing the 991 C4S X51 to the new Audi R8 V10 also threw another error showing how illiterate in cars he was; saying that Porsche X51 Powerkit doesn't offer any gain in torque, and he listed the car having 440NM@5600rpm!!!
If we just look @ Porsche official figures, we will find out that the torque was lifted from 440NM@5600rm to a staggering 475NM@7500rpm!!!
Man, I'm soooo disappointed to find out, more and more each day, that we cannot rely anymore on what we read in magazines, or what we listen to on TV and radios...its all either economically or politically biased, and its "Never" about the simple, plain, and uncompromising TRUTH...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo article comparing 991 4S with X51 power kit to Audi R8 V10