Porsche Roadshow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Porsche Roadshow

I attended the Porsche World Roadshow with my son on father's day and I must say it didn't disappoint. It is run by the Porsche Track instruction team, accompanied by representatives from Porsche North America and a few local dealer reps. The event was divided into two sections, a tech demonstration section with the Cayennes and Panameras and the track section with the 911s and Caymans- yes, the new ones.

The tech section included a wet skid pad where they demonstrated the acceleration and turning capabilities of the C4 vs the C2. The C4 clearly won. Then we each drove two Cayennes and two Panameras. Unfortunately none of them had PDCC so they drove nicely, but they drove like nice sedans and SUVs.

The track section had both C2 and C4 911s as well as the new Cayman / S. An instructor in the lead car with four cars behind. The track had a straight section where you could get to about 100, then a combination of slow and S curves. Again none of the cars had PDCC so there was a modest roll as we reached 85-90% capabilities of the cars. The C4S was the clear winner, but the Cayman S was nice also.

All in all, this was a first class event and I highly recommend you seek out the opportunity.

ChuckJ

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
In May, I was invited by the local dealer to attend a Porsche driving event at a race track here in Las Vegas. I drove the new Caymen and the Boxster, but I was mainly interested in the Carrera and CarreraS. It was my first time ever on a race track, and it was a great experience to drive the cars and interact with the Porsche instructors. I thoroughly enjoyed the event, and I learned a lot about “must-have” options, at least for me anyway. I subsequently changed my existing order for a 2014 C2 Coupe to a C2S, with Sport Chrono and PSE. Currently waiting for an early September delivery
I'm sure the Porsche event with your son made for a great Father's Day.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I attended the Porsche World Roadshow with my son on father's day and I must say it didn't disappoint. It is run by the Porsche Track instruction team, accompanied by representatives from Porsche North America and a few local dealer reps. The event was divided into two sections, a tech demonstration section with the Cayennes and Panameras and the track section with the 911s and Caymans- yes, the new ones.

The tech section included a wet skid pad where they demonstrated the acceleration and turning capabilities of the C4 vs the C2. The C4 clearly won. Then we each drove two Cayennes and two Panameras. Unfortunately none of them had PDCC so they drove nicely, but they drove like nice sedans and SUVs.

The track section had both C2 and C4 911s as well as the new Cayman / S. An instructor in the lead car with four cars behind. The track had a straight section where you could get to about 100, then a combination of slow and S curves. Again none of the cars had PDCC so there was a modest roll as we reached 85-90% capabilities of the cars. The C4S was the clear winner, but the Cayman S was nice also.

All in all, this was a first class event and I highly recommend you seek out the opportunity.

ChuckJ
Both 991's were S models? I'll be attending on July 14.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
Both 991's were S models? I'll be attending on July 14.
The red ones are C4S and I believe the silver ones are C2S. The C4S definitely corners better (at least at the speeds we were doing).

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Do you actually get to pilot the Carreras or only ride as passenger? I'm not particularly interested in driving the Panamera or Cayenne through S-curves but sure would like to do it with a C2S.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Wow - was that in Dallas? How did I miss this?!?

Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Do you actually get to pilot the Carreras or only ride as passenger? I'm not particularly interested in driving the Panamera or Cayenne through S-curves but sure would like to do it with a C2S.
Yes, you drive 4 cars (2 Cayman and 2 911) on the track. If you don't take a friend, they pair you up with someone. The instructor rides in the lead car normally alone. We went two laps, then switched drivers. Then after another two laps we both switched to the car behind us. Of course a lot of this depends on the track that is available. This one was in the center area of Texas Motor Speedway so it was an actual mini-track. In LA and I think Georga there are much more sophisticated tracks and other places may not have as good a track. I would check out where they are going to have it. If it's only on an old airfield you may not find it satisfying. Don't forget, though these are the Porsche instruction team guys and they do things first class so it's probably going to be good anywhere they do it.

The 4 door cars were on another parking lot pylon setup with an acceleration from stop to a performance braking area, then around some slow curves. We probably didn't do over 40 in the curve area and we probably go to 55-70 in the acceleration area.

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
If like last year they are all PDK's.

One question: Is the 991 easier to enter and exit than the 981c?

It looks like the door glass is slighly lower on the Cayman.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Yes, you drive 4 cars (2 Cayman and 2 911) on the track. If you don't take a friend, they pair you up with someone. The instructor rides in the lead car normally alone. We went two laps, then switched drivers. Then after another two laps we both switched to the car behind us. Of course a lot of this depends on the track that is available. This one was in the center area of Texas Motor Speedway so it was an actual mini-track. In LA and I think Georga there are much more sophisticated tracks and other places may not have as good a track. I would check out where they are going to have it. If it's only on an old airfield you may not find it satisfying. Don't forget, though these are the Porsche instruction team guys and they do things first class so it's probably going to be good anywhere they do it.

The 4 door cars were on another parking lot pylon setup with an acceleration from stop to a performance braking area, then around some slow curves. We probably didn't do over 40 in the curve area and we probably go to 55-70 in the acceleration area.

ChuckJ
Thanks, Chuck! I'm psyched! Ours is at Homestead Speedway Sept 20-22 south of Miami, which is a true road course on what was once the Homestead Airforce base. My dealer has already offered me tix so now I just have to make sure I'll be back in Miami by then.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys the 991's, they are all 4's, no 2's.

Porsche trucks the same cars all over the country. So ChuckJ, you drove the same cars as I did a few weeks ago because Los Angeles was one of the first.

Feel sorry for whoever buys the CPO's after :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by frank69m
Hey guys the 991's, they are all 4's, no 2's.

Porsche trucks the same cars all over the country. So ChuckJ, you drove the same cars as I did a few weeks ago because Los Angeles was one of the first.

Feel sorry for whoever buys the CPO's after :-)
At the Las Vegas event, May 9th, there were six Porsche vehicles. All of which were available to be driven (quite fast) on the race track. A Panamera, a Cayenne, the new Caymen S and Boxster S, a Carrera Cab (C2), and a Carrera S Cab (C2S).

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm hoping to get seat time in a C2 and C4 to get a feel for the cars' differences. This may be first Porsche purchase but not likely my last.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by fantom
If like last year they are all PDK's.

One question: Is the 991 easier to enter and exit than the 981c?

It looks like the door glass is slighly lower on the Cayman.
I think the 991 is a little easier, but the 981 is not a problem even with a helmet on.

ChuckJ

Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
I think the 991 is a little easier, but the 981 is not a problem even with a helmet on.

ChuckJ
Thanks, Chuck. For me a big head = a big helmet = clunk!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
they are all pdk and auto trannys. No chance of misshift.
FWIW its not a good as prior years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Roadshow