Micro-sim card is stuck :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM
xintar is on a distinguished road
Angry Micro-sim card is stuck :(

Hi guys

I did the stupidest mistake ! i tried using a mobile sim in a new C4S and I used the micro one instead of the regular sized one, it went all the way in!! i cant get it out. Went to dealer, they wanted to remove the whole dashboard (Screen & AC console ). On a 600km car, hell NO!

I tried acting like a surgeon, so i used forceps, double faced sticker, but the space is too tight (goodwill plz) nothing seems to be working.

any suggestions ? Vacuum maybe ?! or just live with it until the beast is older?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
nbrigdan is on a distinguished road
You could try dental tools? Those are pretty thin, just pinch it on both side, or have a needle with some sticky tack on it?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Suction with a high powered vacuum cleaner may be your best bet.

Cheers,

Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
If there is a micro to regular sim adapter, seperate adapter in half to slide by the micro. Pay attention to any notch in the micro to help grab it. May need to trim the adapter to fab a tool.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I would suggest a vacuum or possibly a needle. Let us know what you ended up using to get it out.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 PM
nleeumd is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you need some mini forceps! I used two Bobby pins to remove a SD card out of my DVD slot in my iMac once.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
One other thing to try is part of a Post-It note with the sticky part facing the micro sim.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 AM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
i'd leave it as is and not bother. just connect via BT

Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
MikeDi is on a distinguished road
Get another SIM card....carefully rub contact cement on the leading edge...let it dry....slide it into the slot....it will attach itself to the Micro SIM card and gently pull it out.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Cutters68 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MikeDi
Get another SIM card....carefully rub contact cement on the leading edge...let it dry....slide it into the slot....it will attach itself to the Micro SIM card and gently pull it out.

This gets my vote. Hope you have success!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
similar concept, but instead of another sim card. take a piece of very thin but rigid metal strip (very light gauge sheet metal) and apply a dab of superglue but what you want to do is maximize the surface area that you get glue in contact between the metal strip with the sim card..

once you insert the metal strip.. wait a few minutes.. then gently and progressively apply force (in hopes of backing the sim card out)..

If you can do this same approach with two strips of metal, one on each side of the sim card all the better. The trick is to be able to apply as much force as you can to back the SIM card out. And this equates to surface area in contact.

Alternatively if you don't have some metal, try instead with a very thin nylon guitar pick (i.e. .060). You might need to cut it to get the right shape...

Originally Posted by MikeDi

Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cutters68
this gets my vote. Hope you have success!
+1...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM
xintar is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Vacuum couldn't pull it out ,,, tried 3 kind of them.

the small handy one with 12V, didn't even move it. Second was home vacuum, kindda difficult to get to the sim-slot, had to keep the gear on D, and it didn't work
finally, went to the car wash next door and tried their massive one. I was scared that it will scratch the console, but they managed to cover the edges with a cloth. and still sim didn't come out !!

my last bet is the cement or glue. wish me luck please.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM
billco is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatkins
From what you described (it is wedged into the slot) no vacuum could ever apply the kind of force needed to get it out. You would probably suck the face of the console off before you would get the card out...

It's a physics problem.. and you need a solution that can apply a lot of mechanical force to the card to unwedge it. Either you get a direct grip on the card somehow, via some kind of tweezers etc.. or you carefully bond something to the wedged card and then apply mechanical force to the combination...

If you can't get tweezers or something that gets a firm mechanical grip on the card then you need to go bonding.. But use a strong cement and give it time to dry. It will need to be something like superglue/Gorilla glue etc that forms a firm bond.. Don't waste your time on traditional clues or contact cement.. It won't hold.. You might experiment first on an old sim card to whatever you bond to it to see if you can get a firm bond between the SIM and extraction extension..

Chances are it isn't going to come out easy without some force..

If that doesn't work or you aren't up for it then your choices are let the dealer remove the dash as you originally mentioned or just leave it in there and forget about it..
I would NOT use Gorilla glue. That stuff works great for bonding but expands dramatically during the drying process. You may end up with an absolute mess. I'm not sure if Super Glue will bond after it's dry, but it sounds like others believe it will.
Before doing anything like what is being suggested here, I would find out what it would cost to replace the housing around the sim-card space, in case you bugger it up with glue. Weigh that against letting the dealer take care of it for you. Just a thought. Good luck and keep us posted. This is the most exciting that has happened on the forum in weeks

Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Richard911 is on a distinguished road
Really need to use a bore scope to look into the slot and see if it is reachable. I would recommend no glues of any kind. We used to build this stuff and glue could coat contacts and worse migrate can bind controls.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Micro-sim card is stuck :(