Does Elect harness already exist for illuminated sills?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Does Elect harness already exist for illuminated sills?

Looking at some Suncoast trim upgrades that require electrical. Specifically the illuminated door sills and and rear footwell lighting..

Anyone know if the harness wiring is already present in the 991 to support this.. Would be a pain to try and figure out where to wire these if not...?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
There is another thread about is the cigarette lighter wiring there already in a car that doesn't come with Smoker's Kit. Answer seems to be no, every car is wired for the options/features that it has when built. You need to check with your dealer.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
You can run them to the fuse box.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I have heard that comment (wired for options) bantered around here, but I doubt it is the case. I have a bit of experience in production/manufacturing of other vehicle types (not autos).. That would imply that every harness in every 911 is a custom thing..

Generally you have have base harnesses and sub harnesses.. I suspect there is a sub harness that is routed to remote areas of the car when specific options are taken.. The real question is if the sub-harnesses are already laid in the basic car.. If not then it needs to get routed back to a main harness or connection somewhere..

Anycase, I guess I probably need to get a wiring diagram of the car to know for sure to see how it is built..

Originally Posted by Snowczar
There is another thread about is the cigarette lighter wiring there already in a car that doesn't come with Smoker's Kit. Answer seems to be no, every car is wired for the options/features that it has when built. You need to check with your dealer.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by blackbull
You can run them to the fuse box.
No, I would expect that they need to be run to a door switch or something that is only energized when the doors are open... otherwise they would be on even when the door is closed..

I guess I need to find a wiring diagram..

Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
I think if you check that option in the configurator it indicates that if you opt for the option it includes Blah Blah Blah wiring included which sounds like a sub wiring harness is required.

I ordered my car with the Stainless (non-illuminated) option which delayed the build. Still waiting for them to come in since July.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Couldn't find that text in the configuration, but it makes sense...

Ordering with just stainless option delayed your build?

Originally Posted by Rapture1
I think if you check that option in the configurator it indicates that if you opt for the option it includes Blah Blah Blah wiring included which sounds like a sub wiring harness is required.

I ordered my car with the Stainless (non-illuminated) option which delayed the build. Still waiting for them to come in since July.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Yes, it would have delayed the order but I opted for TeQequipment delivery which basically means I paid for it but it would be delivered and installed once the parts were available to be installed at my local dealer, still waiting. But I love the car so not so bad.

I checked the configurator, and it no longer shows any text that says the lighted sills come with the extended electrical option, but it once did...

I thought about the lighted option also, but I went pretty nuts on other options so decided to pass on that one. It is cool though.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 AM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
I installed the rear footwell lights from Suncoast. The kit includes a "T" wiring harness that I had to pull to the rear from the front. It received its power from a front footwell light connection. Works great and provides the ability to see into what before was just a black hole.

I learned a lot about how the front console and rear seating area comes apart. There's not much to the rear seats. There's a fair amount of Velcro type attachments.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
I installed the rear footwell lights from Suncoast. The kit includes a "T" wiring harness that I had to pull to the rear from the front. It received its power from a front footwell light connection. Works great and provides the ability to see into what before was just a black hole.

I learned a lot about how the front console and rear seating area comes apart. There's not much to the rear seats. There's a fair amount of Velcro type attachments.
Are you talking about the center console? I just bought a ashtray and would like to attempt installing it myself and I a bit hesitant since I don't want to break any tabs/clips. Any help would be great!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by robbieracer
Are you talking about the center console? I just bought a ashtray and would like to attempt installing it myself and I a bit hesitant since I don't want to break any tabs/clips. Any help would be great!
Yes, the center console. It's been a while, but I think the rectangular console trim easily lifts/unsnaps when coaxed upward after opening the storage area cover. I used my hands to work it upward and off. After that you will see the screws and plastic catches holding everything else in place. The switches come out and you can see the whole area you want to work in. Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
skilly2000 will become famous soon enough
I just bought some CF lighted sills as well - for a 991.1 TTS. I had previously installed them in my 991.1 CS but have since lost the instructions. There is a Porsche instructions manual for installation that I had used at the time. If I recall correctly, there is no harness and you have to feed the wires back to a control box located under the carpet on that side of the car. I have been searching hi and low for these instructions...all I can find are dead links or videos of people showing the finished product.

I dont want to hack into the door switches with the OEM kit. If anyone has these instructions, could you repost them? In my search there seems to be lots of people asking but no current posts of the "how to".

Thanks!!