Ongoing change over valve issues on 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
PDK Diagram

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HeatExcPDK.JPG
Views:	5345
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	333764  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I had 6 replaced last fall as part of the service campaign. Dealer was quite proactive about it.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by certified_prime
I had 6 replaced last fall as part of the service campaign. Dealer was quite proactive about it.
When was your car built?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Also, do you recall the campaign number? When I go back to the dealer I want to have it handy...

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Go123
When was your car built?
I had 7 replaced on my Jan 12 build car, in a factory campaign early in the summer of 12. I had no failures. I was told that early ones had weather sealing defects - but I don't know when they started getting good ones (or if they still do). So far no problems.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
I had the same experience with my March '12 build car. Dealer notified me during the summer and replaced all valves. Said that there had been a weather seal problem. No problems since (11,000 miles currently) -- at least none that I know of.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by HansGT2
I had the same experience with my March '12 build car. Dealer notified me during the summer and replaced all valves. Said that there had been a weather seal problem. No problems since (11,000 miles currently) -- at least none that I know of.
Hopefully, builds after summer 2012 are probably okay for anything major that is valve related since they knew about the issue with the original valves.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Hopefully, builds after summer 2012 are probably okay for anything major that is valve related since they knew about the issue with the original valves.
My build date was Oct-Nov 2012. Bad solenoids

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
My build date was Oct-Nov 2012. Bad solenoids
Makes no sense they had a campaign out but were still using the problem valves. Sounds like poor lack of communication with the factory.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Makes no sense they had a campaign out but were still using the problem valves. Sounds like poor lack of communication with the factory.

As mentioned earlier in this post and elsewhere, my C4S is a 06/13 build -- well after the supposed campaign. And as SM_ATL thoroughly detailed, the part number used in my recent valve solenoid failure is a "new" designation. But since the part is newer series, either they simply renumbered and didn't change the design flaw or the new parts are afflicted with same issue as previously....

Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
So are we saying that if it's bad , you'll definitely get problem earlier vs latent failures? I don't have any issues either with PSE or heating just yet . 13 months, 8000 miles and counting ...

My build date was Nov /Dec 2012.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Talked to my dealership today and asked to get the other solenoids checked which they'll do. Despite the fact that I have already 3 solenoids from the same batch failed, Porsche's policy is that if the remaining solenoid have not failed (yet), they can only be replaced if I pay for it.

I do not blame the dealership, they are the ones who need to get reimbursed by Porsche, but should Porsche's final answer remain the same, I think it would be a very shortsighted approach. I'd understand this answer for someone who had zero issues, but when you have already had 3 failures, I thought they would have had a bit of common sense...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Halfbreeded is on a distinguished road
I have been searching for this topic as I believe my sound symposer has not been working since day one. I have PSE and that functions properly. I turn on sport and turn off the PSE with no sound difference. From what I recall driving other 991s the sound Symposer was a lot more pronounced. I cannot hear any difference. The car is a 2014 C4S with only 1,000 miles.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Halfbreeded
I have been searching for this topic as I believe my sound symposer has not been working since day one. I have PSE and that functions properly. I turn on sport and turn off the PSE with no sound difference. From what I recall driving other 991s the sound Symposer was a lot more pronounced. I cannot hear any difference. The car is a 2014 C4S with only 1,000 miles.
Certainly worth getting it checked by the dealership. Porsche would have issued a Technical Bulletin about the issue a few days ago, bu I do not know more at this point.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Hi,

My car is 2012 so I asked my indy shop to change 8 of them. It is a fairly easy job and it would take about 1-1.30 hour for a good mechanic to do it.

We found 3 units out of 8 units were defected.

- PSE Exhaust (make no sport sound)
- Sound Symposer
- Air cleaner box flap

You can see that the new change over valve "rev.C" is in black and the old one "rev.B" is in grey.

You need to remove the bumper and spoiler to get access these valves. The two for PDK is underneath the car and it is easy to change.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	342085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	342086  

Last edited by iambon; 03-05-2014 at 08:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991?