Wheel/Tire Road hazard insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Wheel/Tire Road hazard insurance

Anybody have experience or a referral for an aftermarket company that offers wheel/tire hazard coverage. The roads in Michigan are terrible and full of potholes. It's only going to get worse as the snow starts to melt (whenever that may be). I would hate to replace those 20" classic's due to a pothole . What is approximate cost and name of companies, or do I need to go through my P dealer?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I got it through the dealer, for 5 years and the cost considering how much replacement tires/wheels are is reasonable.

Already replaced 2 tires.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Bought through dealer. Cost 1321 for 5 years tires, wheels, door dings, key replacement, windshield dings.

Had a key replaced once...no problem whatsoever.

Scraped a Classic 20 inch wheel. They sent it to the shop contracted by the insurance company who did a poor job of painting and finishing. They repainted the wheel...in the wrong color, close but no cigar.

They argued that the wheel was fixed. The policy provides that they shall restore to "normal condition." I patiently explained that the wheel's normal color was different from that which their shop selected. I patiently explained this at least 5 times to three folks at the insurance company working my way from the cubical folks to the desk and office person.

They paid for a brand new wheel as Porsche explained that the wheel could not be reconditioned more than twice. I suppose the wheel cost over $1500.00

They also paid for about 2 weeks of a Cayenne at a time when I was traveling a lot...put over 800 miles on their car.

Here's the deal: if you have a problem and are patient and you are in the explaining business (which I am) dealing with insurance companies is not really a problem. It's annoying as IMHO insurance companies are are really nothing more than legalized criminals.
I deal with them for my clients all day long. I guess I am used to those morons.

Was the insurance worth it, for me it was for me. While I try to avoid potholes I am not freaked out by them...sh*t happens.

Last edited by rnl; 02-25-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I got mine through the dealer as well and from what I am made to understand this type is only available for purchase when the customer is taking delivery of a car. I recall reading somewhere that AllState Insurance now offers similar coverage. So, you might try an independent insurance company if you're thinking of obtaining this protection for a vehicle that you've been driving. I agree that this coverage is a MUST for anyone who has to drive their car on roads in the midwestern or northeastern parts of the country.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
New991S is on a distinguished road
I also looked at the dealer's policy - my understanding is that it will also cover aftermarket wheels.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
My dealer finance guy wanted 2k or 3k (don't recall exactly) for the wheel/tire protection only. I felt that was a bit much since I've never ruined a wheel on any car I've owned so I passed. After all, I have insurance.

Had it been closer to 1k I would have done it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
MrOutside is on a distinguished road
I went with it through the dealer. I wiped out a wheel and two tires on my first Cayman S a couple of years back, and did not have any insurance. I think it's worth it, especially in the northeast where I am.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
rgreenberg is on a distinguished road
Wheel Insurance

I got mine at the dealer and it also covers aftermarket wheels as long as they are aluminum wheels

Last edited by rgreenberg; 03-01-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
I bought a second set of wheels for winter, and the insurance. I had a blow out on one of the tires before getting the winter set, and never again will I call a tow truck. I will call a cab to take me home, and get a spare wheel, then change the tire. Then, I'll take only the tire to the dealer.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flyanddive
I bought a second set of wheels for winter, and the insurance. I had a blow out on one of the tires before getting the winter set, and never again will I call a tow truck. I will call a cab to take me home, and get a spare wheel, then change the tire. Then, I'll take only the tire to the dealer.
+991
Unless you are too far from home.

If you let a tow truck put hold-down-straps through your wheels you ruin all your wheels.
Make sure they strap from around the tires.
There is a special kind of strap for that, and its a good idea to keep a set in the car, so they have no excuses.