New 991S Cab- PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 AM
armauro is on a distinguished road
New 991S Cab- PDK

This is controversial- got my new navy/beige car yesterday- have had 18 911s since 1982 and have been without since 2008 when I had a s cab, gt3 and 97 turbo.
My reaction to this car is that with the pdk it is unengaging almost boring- my mini s vert 6 speed is more fun. I know the car is faster etc plus this is the new technology but it feels so luxurious and unsporty. Where I live in Florida one gets onto A1A and quite frankly drop the car into D- my DCT M3 is the same -always had manual M3s and will go back on my next M4.

I like the roof lines on the vert and see improvements there but I like the 997s better- actually bought this because I could not strike a deal on a 12/13 TTs.

Have a GT3 on order and am questioning my motivation there. Maybe there will be a manual for 2015.
I am just from another generation.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Love my C4S with PDK. Drove it 2x in the last week and cannot wait for the consistent warmer weather. I don't agree with your option, but that's ok..... maybe sell it and move on? Really hard for me to understand "un-engaging and boring" for the 991....

Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
+1! Drive what you love. Life is too short. Go get a 997- great car in its own right. Or get something completely different! Must be something about Michaels from New Jersey but I love mine, it is totally engaging to me, and plenty sporty. I get the bigger, and more luxury but it totally works for me. Best of luck to you - seriously, I hope you find what you like!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
armauro, I am sorry you're having an unexpected and negative experience with your pdk equipped 991S. Apart from the PDK there are many changes to the 911 which have made it faster but far more road compliant and "comfortable" than previous versions. The point I make is that it's not just PDK that may be affecting your experience.

On to the issue of PDK. I absolutely hated the first generation PDK that I had on my 997.2 4S. My experience was similar to yours and I sold it within a month and moved on....got a 997.2 GT3! I therefore took a chance on the 991S PDK and have to say I love it. Apart from the enhancements Porsche made to it I think its a lot to do with options on the car and how you use them. My suggestion would be to try the various set ups like sport plus, try the pdk again in those modes, and then if you're still unhappy, move on.

I too have a GT3 on order (just cancelled my '14 sport for a '15...long story). The PDK on those is more aggressive but still a pdk. The car is far more road compliant than previous GT3's and is also more "comfortable" so I suggest you test drive one (Once the stop sale/use is over) before buying it. For me it's ideal and I'm looking forward to getting, I'm also happy it's got pdk.

I do hope you discover what you were looking for in your current 991S. If not, as others have mentioned, move on.

Wishing you well.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I understand your pain. I drove a 991S PDK and felt the same way. I then bought a 991S 7MT and did not like it either for the same reasons. It just did not feel like a 911. Over time I figured out how to set the switches to make it feel like a 911 (sport +, PSE on, suspension off) and now I really like the car. I can switch it to a "lexus" when I want and make it a 911 when I want...

I also have a GT3 incoming. In my brain I know it will be faster on track but I'm hoping it has not lost the "engagement" of earlier versions.

Good luck.

ps. Used to have a condo just south of you. Great part of FL imo.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I like the fact that this thread has not turned into one of those endless discussions about MT is better than PDK and vice versa. Yes, with PDK on auto and in 'comfort mode', always cruising well below the speed limit, the 991 can feel like any luxo coupe (with a much better road feel though). I had a Miata a couple of years ago for a short period of time and it felt more involving than my 991 when driving at 35mph on the way to the grocery store. At the other end of the spectrum, push it hard in Sport+ / manual on the track and rest assured that there is no lack of involvement. There is no clutch to deal with, but you will be going so fast that there will be plenty of things to keep you busy and you will feel tired when you pit in.

Like others said, it is all about what YOU are looking for. The 991 versatility makes it a great daily driver AND sportscar for me. I have/had a GT3 in mind too, but I'll wait until I can drive one and until it is fully debugged & fireproof. In my case, I want to check first if it has a dual personality too by being compliant enough for a daily use. Meanwhile, I still have work to be able to use 100% of the potential of the 991S...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
The 997 is a more engaging car...louder, more vibration, more connection to the road via the steering wheel. It has a rawness that is lacking in the 991.

If these experiences are important to you, then by all means, a 997 is a better car for you. If you want/ need a car that is quieter and smoother with more refinement and more technology, then the 991 is a better choice.

I sold my 2012 997 and bought a 2012 991 as it is my one and only car, the roads in LA are atrocious, I love it's looks more and the refinement is more appealing to my lifestyle. There are many subtle changes - reasons as well that I could go on and on about, but those are more than likely personal and may not apply to you.

They are both amazing vehicles...you can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: I would get bored with a PDK equipped vehicle very quickly, but to each his own.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I would get bored with a PDK equipped vehicle very quickly, but to each his own.

I think that sums it up when driving around here in Florida. My mini at 1/4 the price was not lexus like and more engaging. Do not get me wrong it is a nice car- I see a lot of "cheapness" in the car but again I am from the 80/90s p car generation when sports cars were smaller and had manuals.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by armauro
This is controversial- got my new navy/beige car yesterday- have had 18 911s since 1982 and have been without since 2008 when I had a s cab, gt3 and 97 turbo.
My reaction to this car is that with the pdk it is unengaging almost boring- my mini s vert 6 speed is more fun. I know the car is faster etc plus this is the new technology but it feels so luxurious and unsporty. Where I live in Florida one gets onto A1A and quite frankly drop the car into D- my DCT M3 is the same -always had manual M3s and will go back on my next M4.

I like the roof lines on the vert and see improvements there but I like the 997s better- actually bought this because I could not strike a deal on a 12/13 TTs.

Have a GT3 on order and am questioning my motivation there. Maybe there will be a manual for 2015.
I am just from another generation.
Everyone makes mistakes.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I have the PDK in my Panamera 4S and it seems perfectly suited for that car. Mt 991 C4 is a 7-speed MT, as was my 981 Boxster S a MT. I like that I can launch my 4S with ferocity using the PDK and the Sport Plus setting (I have the Chrono Package). It shifts faster than I ever could. That said, I think the MT in the Porsche is the best I've yet experienced...short, precise throws. By the way, my SA tells me that soon, maybe 90% of the 991s coming to the states will be PDK cars.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I had owned the 997.2 and now 991. There is no comparison. 991 is on anther orbit. It is that good. I have 7 speed manual gearbox..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Do not misunderstand me- it is not a mistake in buying the car- I will not undo the my deal and sell it. I think the world has changed as has the market for these cars- the buyers are probably older and maybe never drove a manual- my neighbor next door who thinks the sun rises and sets on his S Cab- his 1st p care- is 71. His car was on his bucket list.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Do not misunderstand me- it is not a mistake in buying the car- I will not undo the my deal and sell it. I think the world has changed as has the market for these cars- the buyers are probably older and maybe never drove a manual- my neighbor next door who thinks the sun rises and sets on his S Cab- his 1st p care- is 71. His car was on his bucket list.
You hit the nail on the head with this...my first thought when looking at the 991 was that it was built for a certain demographic...male businessman over 50 making well over $100k a year.

The car is quiet enough for Bluetooth audio phone calls ( 997 was marginal), put it in auto mode and drive, smooth, can get power steering plus so you don't have to work too hard to park...

They did the 991 right for that demo, for sure. Luxury car that carries the 911 nomenclature...

But, don't get me wrong, it can still be a sports car if you want it to be. Just more refined. Not as raw, not as 911's were in the past.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
armauro, sorry you don't like the car. Hope it grows on you after you've lived with it a bit. I can't speak for the PDK, but coming from a 6 speed M3 to a 7MT 991 C2S, the 991 is worlds more "sporty". Haven't spent much time behind the wheel of a 997 though, so I can't speak to that comparison.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
991S Cabs with PDK are biased far to the GT side of the Porsche equation, and still run rings around most sports cars.

PS. I'm on my 4th Porsche (including 2 911s) since 1972 and have 20 years of PCA tracking and SCCA racing behind me. All of them were on my bucket list. This is my first non MT. I find the car superior to all the others on both the street and and at the track. I am older than I used to be, but not slower- and that I assure you, is the car.