View Poll Results: which car would you choose?
991 c2 or maybe a very lightly optioned S
75.82%
bmw m4
15.38%
other sports car?
8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't imagine asking a car forum about what kind of car I would/should buy. Just buy want you want. If you can afford such a car I assume that you have enough smarts and confidence in making your decision regardless the likes or dislikes of others.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
genpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by CALGUY
I couldn't imagine asking a car forum about what kind of car I would/should buy. Just buy want you want. If you can afford such a car I assume that you have enough smarts and confidence in making your decision regardless the likes or dislikes of others.
New information gleaned from feedback can always be contributory to a more informed decision.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:48 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RIndy
Sounds like the new F1 engine.
It does....I'm so UNexcited about the start of the season.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:35 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
Did someone already mention the Jag F-Type? I have a 991 C2 right now, do wish it had more punch. So debating if an extra $20k-$30k is worth it for the C2S. My other option would be a F Type Coupe R.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JohnM
Sorry Alan, I was in a hurry and did not explain myself!

What I meant was that the 991 is one of those products that is engineered and tuned to near perfection. Whether it is the weight of the pedal during heel-toe downshifts, or the smoothness of the shifter. It manages to be a neutral handling car when the physics say it probably shouldn't. Even the font used in the instruments shows how obsessed the engineers were. If you judge it that way, it is sublime. Now, go to the web and see how the R8 was manufactured, and what the chassis is like....the details in each part...the connector at the top of the A-pillar looks like it costs a fortune to make! It is just stunning. It is hard to believe they can offer that vehicle for $130K. If porsche made it, it would probably cost a smidge under a gillion dollars. (uh...without deviated stitching....if we added that,then it would be an even gillion) Since the C4S and R8 are similarly priced, (actually R8 is cheaper when equipped similarly) you notice things like the time and effort put into crafting the vehicle. No cost-saving parts like metal stamped chassis and macpherson struts....damn, even look at the underbody tray of the R8 with all the NACA ducts and it gives you an idea about how much cost they were willing to put into the vehicle. With porsche bragging that they average $24K in profit on each car, the point is pretty well proven by their own mouths.
yet the 911 is still something I would happily purchase again and may be the finest product in it's class. But, when I look at the option sheet, I leave lots of boxes unchecked. Not because I can't afford to check them, but I just don't feel like putting together a $130K 911. With the R8, I checked the boxes up to $130K and felt like I was still getting a bargain!
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Wow. I couldn't feel more differently. I test-drove an R8 V10Plus (180k sticker) and thought it didn't come close to comparing to a modestly optioned 991 C2S for 60-70K less. R8 handling is not close to 991 handing.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CALGUY

Not sure I would be so quick to assume that.

Last edited by sportscentury; 03-30-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by naples991
I agree that it depends on your needs. That said the 991 is a sports car and the M4 is a 2-door sports sedan

The handling dynamics are different.

You've driven an M4?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lunarx
Get the M4, it will be an amazing car.
You need to have Porsche disease to pay so much more for a 991.
If you are asking, then you are still of sane mind (unlike us).

The M4 makes more sense.
If you are not put off by the looks, the upcomming W205 C63 AMG will be insanely fast, with its BiTurbo V8.
Haha my thoughts exactly! If I were not obsessed with Porsche's, I would get the M4 in estriol blue with red interior black wheels in manual and no sun roof. Don't forget the extended warranty. That is highly recommended for BMWs.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnM
Audi R8. Prices are down, content is up!
What are these selling for these days?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Get the 991 C2.
Porsche is Porsche

Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I would get a used 991 C2S. Prices are now in low 80s.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...64643448&Log=0

Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
I won't bore you with any conjecture on this car or that. If this were a HP/torque per dollar question for me I'd be driving a new Camaro ss.

However a 911 and the new 991 bring different variables into the equation. I have a 3.4. It has sport and sport plus modes and it has more HP and Torque than I can reasonable use on any day in any condition save track days which I don't do.

I tool around with all 7 gears at my disposal. If I want kidney crushing power its there. Either put your foot into the floor or hit sport, lockout 7th and mash the gas and you'll quickly be at 5+k rpm's and asking for a ticket.

Personally I just enjoy the sound of the engine, the refined interior, the fantastic stereo and the comfort. There's little point of "more power" to me when there's more than enough.

Obviously I voted 991...

Previous cars that influence my decision:
2007 BMW 525i...light on power....awesome on gas mileage and range....
2007 Porsche Cayman S. Plenty of power for me...not enough room for kids...
2002 BMW Z3 Coupe (Special and ugly car) fun while it lasted. decent power for size.
2002 BMW 540i 6 speed. V8 power, very nice overall car...

Last edited by Aranthir; 03-31-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
^^^ Couldn't agree more with this! Except for the stereo part, i feel for what i paid for the bose it falls short of what i expected.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sportscentury
I test-drove an R8 V10Plus (180k sticker) and thought it didn't come close to comparing to a modestly optioned 991 C2S for 60-70K less.
If you actually drove a V10 Plus and came away with the impression that "it didn't come close to comparing to a modestly optioned 991C2S", then you must be one of the most loyal Porschephiles. I tend to compare the V10 Plus to cars at a higher price point:

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...laren_12c.html

Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by onapex
Did someone already mention the Jag F-Type? I have a 991 C2 right now, do wish it had more punch. So debating if an extra $20k-$30k is worth it for the C2S. My other option would be a F Type Coupe R.
I drove the F type convertible and it made my final short list and the coupe would be the way to go. However, the tranny is not even close to the PDK system and the only way that car was fun, was to drive it hard. In "normal" driving mode, it doesn't come close imo and I had serious concerns about residual value - so I figured that was car u had to lease.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 C2, New M4, or somthing else?