991 issues update and lemon law filling new video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I was thinking that was the problem also.

ChuckJ
Same here. Porsche did the recall several months after I got my 2012 991 and it took several days to fix the seals. Now that you mention it, it could be a common cause to a number of the gremlins in case there was water infiltration. I would believe that the dealership checked this and ruled it out... but you never know.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM
SebastianButthole is on a distinguished road
I'll bet the Nissan GTR fanbois are laughing long and hard at this.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SebastianButthole
Now that Nick's issue has been resolved, let's not turn this into a GTR vs 911 thread Next thing you know we will be talking C7 and then manual gearbox!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
The hardest part for anyone reading this, or the news feeds about this, is that Porsche is still a good company overall. I have read ton's of replies with people saying ludicrous thing about never wanting to own a Porsche after reading the horror story Nick went through.

I have news of my own for all those people...If you dig deep enough, you will find stories very similar to Nick's, about every car from every maker. His issue is not unique, it just went viral. No car is perfect, and there is always a chance that the one you buy will be a lemon.

So please, don't rule out a manufacturer of good cars based off of a few accounts. Its ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Nick really happy that there is some closure in sight. My guess is they will give you a new 991 not cash? Hang in there.

I went through this with an Audi S5 that was in the shop for 56 days and 17 visits with less than 25k on the clock. Front control arms, Carbon cleaning, new nav unit, throw out bearing, vacuum line to inlet motor, drivers seat...I finally said **** it and bought this 911 as a DD and have not had any major problems other than the sunroof. I track the car too. There is always a lemon.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
That is what happens when VW takes over. My 2007 997TT was built in a VW management free environment. Good luck Nick.

Last edited by Al Nunez; 04-18-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Same here. Porsche did the recall several months after I got my 2012 991 and it took several days to fix the seals. Now that you mention it, it could be a common cause to a number of the gremlins in case there was water infiltration. I would believe that the dealership checked this and ruled it out... but you never know.
The only conflicting element is that mine has the right window not indexing properly problem also and my car was never recalled for the improper sealing issue.

ChuckJ

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
kkapoor is on a distinguished road
This is an amazing story. Congrats to Nick! I own a 997.2 and it is a rock solid car in terms of reliability. However, I recently took it in for regular service and had a chance to chat to one the service guys (not the customer interface service team, the guy in the garage fixing the cars). He was very honest in stating that the 991 series models have had a variety of teething pains. I've always felt that when there is a significant design overhaul in a vehicle it's always smart to wait a couple of production years before jumping in. This gives the engineers at Porsche actual data to see what is working and what is not and thereby incorporate the design fixes into the production line.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
The only conflicting element is that mine has the right window not indexing properly problem also and my car was never recalled for the improper sealing issue.

ChuckJ
I recently met the guy who owns the Porsche certified shop that did my recall reseal job. He told me that it was large effort that required removing a great many of the front parts, removing and replacing cemented in sealing materials etc etc. He also stated that there were easier ways to do it than Porsche had directed (wince). I can readily imagine that IF (and I don't know if it is the case with Nick's car) he had this work done and it was botched or not done entirely, it would be impossible to see and the leaks would have led to the situation Nick faced. The Northeast has had record wet weather over the last year too.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 AM
landshark is on a distinguished road
Nick, I was thinking about a 991 for me next car and because of your videos/reports, it really had me think twice! I'm really glad that the issue had finally resolved even tho it should be a lot sooner & easier than what it had been.

I saw my GTR friend posted Nick's video on their FB a couple days ago, and probably laughing at us already.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:07 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Every manufacturer has problems similar to Nick's situation.
I've had similar problems with Acura/Hondas/Toyotas/Nissan/Mazda - which are suppose to be the most reliable cars in the industry.
Honestly of all the cars we've had in the last 20 years, the most reliable and enjoyable to drive that we've own has been our Porsches and BMWs (knock on wood).
Nick's story, while disappointing situation but finally positive outcome, won't deter me from buying future Porsches

Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landshark
Nick, I was thinking about a 991 for me next car and because of your videos/reports, it really had me think twice! I'm really glad that the issue had finally resolved even tho it should be a lot sooner & easier than what it had been.

I saw my GTR friend posted Nick's video on their FB a couple days ago, and probably laughing at us already.
Did he get his transmission replaced after GTR launch control failures a few years ago?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kkapoor
This is an amazing story. Congrats to Nick! I own a 997.2 and it is a rock solid car in terms of reliability. However, I recently took it in for regular service and had a chance to chat to one the service guys (not the customer interface service team, the guy in the garage fixing the cars). He was very honest in stating that the 991 series models have had a variety of teething pains. I've always felt that when there is a significant design overhaul in a vehicle it's always smart to wait a couple of production years before jumping in. This gives the engineers at Porsche actual data to see what is working and what is not and thereby incorporate the design fixes into the production line.
Exactly.. Anytime you have a new model vehicle there WILL be issues. This is just the nature of engineering and production and no matter how much testing you do you can never catch everything simply by testing.. there is just too much complexity. If you want to avoid this then just by a honda accord when the model hasn't really changed in the 5 or 6 years..

This is why often things are introduced incrementally between models.. And it often isn't bad design but it are more subtle things like how cables are routed. They find out that there is a sharp edges that tends to cause fraying or loose cables that make noise (i.e. the sunroof problem everyone complains about). Later models you find all kind of foam and things that fix these problems.

In the case of the 991, they admit it is something like 90% new thoughout the vehicle.

This is one of the reasons I waited until the 14's because I hoped that after 2 years the major gremlins would be worked out. And for the most part they seem to..

Nick unfortunately got a '13, and it sounds like there are things like wiring harnesses being frayed and things like that which contributed to all of the weird issues. This is precisely the kind of things that get worked out over time.. (Unfortunately he seemed to win the lottery in terms of getting multiple issues).

Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
And I should care why?

Those who really are laughing if you read the yahoo comment etc are your average folks who comment more about how stupid it is to pay so much for a car and that their $20K Camry is all anyone should ever buy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling new video