Certificate of Ownership (what to do with it)???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Certificate of Ownership (what to do with it)???

Hi all,

So, last week a box came in the mail from Porsche. It had a nice pen, some marketing material regarding CPO and a Certificate of Ownership on some nice parchment paper.

First off, where is this generated from? The selling dealer or Porsche NA?

Secondly, I know what to do with the pen, but what do I do with the COA? It has the MSRP on it...seems kind of ostentatious to frame it and hang it on a wall...Dont people pay like $100.00 for this?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I just keep it with the cars other documents, and will pass it on to the next owner.

I try not to look at it, because it reminds me how much the car costs, LOL.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
I want one.....

I recently sold my Boxster S and during the sale discussions the buyer asked me if I had that Certificate. I told him no.. and all I had was what was provided me at the time I bought the car (pre-owned car and shipped from out of state). He seemed a little concerned with my response but all I could do was assure him that the car (sitting right in front of us) was authentic. It did make me want one but based on this thread (so far) it's a special order request or in some situations given as a gesture of thank you from Porsche.

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Secondly, I know what to do with the pen, but what do I do with the COA? It has the MSRP on it...seems kind of ostentatious to frame it and hang it on a wall...Dont people pay like $100.00 for this?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!
It is definitely something I would keep for nostalgia purposes. In terms of what I would do with it. Judge me all you want, but since I got into cars I have saved the Window Stickers and had them laminated for reach one (one is framed but it was given to me that way). Depending on where you hang it, I could see it coming across as very ostentatious. For myself I will have them on the walls in the garage. Being laminated they stay clean and in tact and that way they are not paraded around for anyone to see. They would be for me when in the garage and if friends/family, who want to see the car, happen to see the Certificates/Window Stickers at the same time I don't see as much harm in that. I mean at that point they will have seen the car and will understand that it's not the cheapest thing out there. I wouldn't have it at the office that's for sure.

Last edited by omegaSMP300; 05-07-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM
does195 is on a distinguished road
I saw a couple of people displaying it on their dash at the Pinehurst Concours event last weekend. Mine is framed in the garage, along with all the other car posters..

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
One more thing to lose. I recieved mine through the mail a few weeks ago.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
If you get one in the mail after buying a new Porsche it's essentially paid for by the Dealer. Not all dealers participate. You can get one for a pre owned car by calling 1-800-Porsche. Cost is about $100 with a small discount for PCA members. I have for most of my past Porsche's and also my current ones. At show n shine's I show a copy with the price blacked out.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Snowczar
If you get one in the mail after buying a new Porsche it's essentially paid for by the Dealer. Not all dealers participate. You can get one for a pre owned car by calling 1-800-Porsche. Cost is about $100 with a small discount for PCA members. I have for most of my past Porsche's and also my current ones. At show n shine's I show a copy with the price blacked out.
My car was purchased used (CPO)...do you think the dealer paid for it (and my pen)?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:04 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
You haven't got a real Porsche without a Certificate of Authenticity... right.

If a car company wants to continue to build marque loyalty and produce these nonsensical Cof A's, how about including them with all your cars and not charge $100 for them?. IMHO. all it shows is that there are some people out there willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money with anything that says Porsche on it. In the world of carnivals. they use to call those people "suckers" or " marks".

Old 05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I just stick it in a file that I keep car receipts in.
One day, I probably will open that file and smile at a quick memory of the car.

I found the receipt for my first car the other day. It still had the window sticker folded around it. Not that a 1990 Acura Integra was a very exiting car! LOL!. But it WAS red!!