$400 for an oil change...Really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Aranthir
2) if I take it to an indy and the engine blows up the following week what kind of legal battle would I have to gear up for? would that be worth the difference?
You should read up on people's fights with PCNA. They like to make things difficult when it suits them and they have a much larger legal department to tie you up much longer than whatever your local Indy is likely to bring to bear. A letter from your lawyer to a uncooperative Indy is likely to get things rolling in many cases. Such a letter to your Porsche dealer is going to make things a lot worse (so you better know what you're doing).

And for your good ending with your XB, my Porsche dealer stripped a $5 bolt and then blamed it on me and refused to replace it. This happened at the same time they had the Cayenne for a detailing where they burned the clear coat (also refused to acknowledge that) which was right after the 996 got a $3k major service from them (so it's not like I was being cheap with them or anything).

We all have good and bad stories for Indys and Dealers. The real answer is you have to look around and find someone you trust, and then stick with them as long as they continue to provide good service for the cost they are charging.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gnat
You should read up on people's fights with PCNA. They like to make things difficult when it suits them and they have a much larger legal department to tie you up much longer than whatever your local Indy is likely to bring to bear. A letter from your lawyer to a uncooperative Indy is likely to get things rolling in many cases. Such a letter to your Porsche dealer is going to make things a lot worse (so you better know what you're doing).

And for your good ending with your XB, my Porsche dealer stripped a $5 bolt and then blamed it on me and refused to replace it. This happened at the same time they had the Cayenne for a detailing where they burned the clear coat (also refused to acknowledge that) which was right after the 996 got a $3k major service from them (so it's not like I was being cheap with them or anything).

We all have good and bad stories for Indys and Dealers. The real answer is you have to look around and find someone you trust, and then stick with them as long as they continue to provide good service for the cost they are charging.
Much truth here, I'm sure!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Enilder
Out of curiosity, which dealership is this? I personally recommend Rockville.
All I will say is that it is a NOVA dealership, and not Arlington. I really have no reason to put them on the spot inasmuch as I have had nothing but reasonably good experiences with them...not to mention that I've purchased 3 vehicles from this dealer already. I'll be researching the indy market in the DMV between now and the time I have to have the oil changed.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Another Indy I've heard good things about but haven't tried yet is http://www.chapmanautowerks.com/ in Sterling, VA.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gnat
Another Indy I've heard good things about but haven't tried yet is http://www.chapmanautowerks.com/ in Sterling, VA.
Thanks!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aranthir
I just did the research about a month ago and while it's a lot for an oil change I choose and will continue to choose a dealer service.

So I'll pay the dealer price because:
1) I want the dealer I choose to be "in business" the next time I need them. they can and do go out of business.
2) if I take it to an indy and the engine blows up the following week what kind of legal battle would I have to gear up for? would that be worth the difference?
3) Fletcher Jones in Fremont CA is definitely worth the price for excellent service. Gunter is great. I bought the car there and while I live 75miles away with 2 Porsche dealers closer I take my 911 back to them. if something were to go south I have no doubt that they would own the situation until it was rectified.

On a side note I have an around town beater 2009 Scion XB. I had the Toyota dealer spring a 600.00 new oil pan needed repair on me because their tech stripped the oil bolt. They attempted to blame the damage on the previous oil service shop.

When I told them that "they" were the last "oil shop" to touch that bolt the service writer was shocked and went to the service manager and they covered the oil pan.

It was humorous watching the gears in the writers head grind up. He couldn't think of anything to say.

The bottom line here is that chain of custody or service in this case can be key in a case like this. in my case it was.
I don't share that security of using a dealer. I've had dealers screw up the simplest of things and then get stuck with the aftermath when it long after any ability to get restitution.

And I certainly don't feel an obligation to support the dealer to keep them in business. It seems folks love their dealers and think they are wonderful and will do anything to support them until they are jerked around.. Then the tune changes..

I have no such enamor.. I see them as generally competent but overpriced.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
As my guy said to me....."it's an oil change"
Meaning he is not dropping the engine or something complicated.

Its been a couple of weeks since mine and all is fine with my car. I have checked the oil level multiple times and it is within normal limits.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 07-01-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I love threads like this because people often miss a simple, but important factor. Say the indi oil change is $150. You pay $400 to go to the dealer. You get a $150 oil change and a $250 inspection. If the dealer finds something wrong, they replace it FOR FREE. Most of the dealers are required to do a full inspection and provide an inspection sheet. If there happens to be anything else wrong with your car, you have them repair it too. I consider it the extra benefit of going to the dealer. Granted it is an expensive oil change, but the dealer is the only place you are going to get free warranty repairs. While under warranty, it could be worth the cost. The indi may or may not find any problems, more than likely they aren't doing any kind of inspection for the $150.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
I really cannot identify with these threads, I'm sorry guys.
I got over the overpriced oil changes years ago, it's just par for the course with expensive cars if you bring it to the dealerships. They have to buy parts, labor and pay their overhead (have you seen some of these places) and make a profit.
I can see why they charge what they do, but no one is holding a gun to your head to have it done there. Call around if you care to save a couple hundred here or there or learn to do it yourself, I guess.

I just pay and move along, same with tires, insurance, and gas (MPG) (I've got bigger stuff to worry about)
I couldn't care less what this $h!t costs (it's really peanuts in the grand scheme) and I just pay and mark it up to "pay to play" but I'm not a super frugal guy--$h!t I think nothing of ordering $50 entrees at dinner, drink $800 bottles of Scotch, $40 cigars, buy five figure watches, dozens of $100 polos, etc., etc. This stuff really doesn't really add up to a lot in the scheme of things, in my life at least. Is it all a waste of money?, of course it is, but I enjoy it and I just keep making more money every single day....so what's the problem.

I know I'm not the only guy who thinks this way on here.
And for the record, I have a healthy retirement portfolio, large savings accounts for my kids' college and plenty of liquid cash savings (so don't think I spend it all). I'm not some trust fund guy or some dot com founder, my wife and I each make deep six figure incomes, big whoop.
I always say I got where I am in life making good decisions from a very early age and I continue doing so every single day, I'm blessed!
I think some of you guys are either the cheapest SOBs on the planet or you have no right driving these cars, sorry I'm just being honest!

You tight wads need to get out more and enjoy your hard earned money, damn
And if you're really concerned about saving a hundred here or thousand there, you really shouldn't be in these cars, just my brutally honest opinion--go by a 3 series, they come with free maintenance and a lot cheaper (not bad cars either)

Last edited by BlackSpeed; 07-01-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Oil change and mount and balance 2 rear tires. $220. 2011 C4S
Indy in Columbia MD

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
I got over the overpriced oil changes years ago, it's just par for the course with expensive cars if you bring it to the dealerships. They have to buy parts, labor and pay their overhead (have you seen some of these places) and make a profit.
I can see why they charge what they do, but no one is holding a gun to your head to have it done there. Call around if you care to save a couple hundred here or there or learn to do it yourself, I guess.

I just pay and move along, same with tires, insurance, and gas (MPG) (I've got bigger stuff to worry about)
I couldn't care less what this $h!t costs (it's really peanuts in the grand scheme) and I just pay and mark it up to "pay to play" but I'm not a super frugal guy--$h!t I think nothing of ordering $50 entrees at dinner, drink $800 bottles of Scotch, $40 cigars, buy five figure watches, dozens of $100 polos, etc., etc. This stuff really doesn't really add up to a lot in the scheme of things, in my life at least. Is it all a waste of money?, of course it is, but I enjoy it and I just keep making more money every single day....so what's the problem.

And for the record, I have a healthy retirement portfolio, large savings accounts for my kids' college and plenty of liquid cash savings (so don't think I spend it all). I'm not some trust fund guy or some dot com founder, my wife and I each make deep six figure incomes, big whoop.
I always say I got where I am in life making good decisions from a very early age and I continue doing so every single day, I'm blessed!
I think some of you guys are either the cheapest SOBs on the planet or you have no right driving these cars, sorry I'm just being honest!

And if you're really concerned about saving a hundred here or thousand there, you really shouldn't be in these cars, just my brutally honest opinion--go by a 3 series, they come with free maintenance and a lot cheaper (not bad cars either)
Oh, thank you.. now I understand it all.. Thank god I have someone of your infinite wisdom, and income level who took valuable time from their day to explain it to those of us who have no real right. And it is appreciated even that much more because as you said.. you can't identify... I'm sure it took time away from your dining or shopping experience.

Then again it could also just be the musings of a clueless blowhard...

To quote you my new mentor " I'm Just being honest!"

Last edited by scatkins; 07-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 AM

If we're the cheapest SOBs on the planet, then you may well be its biggest douch3. You're not "blessed", you've just been lucky...and you don't realize that. Because if you did realize that you've been lucky, you wouldn't be trying to lord over us all of the things you think make you such a big deal. By the way, if you truly felt blessed, you would know that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Last edited by Leslierc; 07-02-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Oh, thank you.. now I understand it all.. Thank god I have someone of your infinite wisdom, and income level who took valuable time from their day to explain it to those of us who have no real right. And it is appreciated even that much more because as you said.. you can't identify... I'm sure it took time away from your dining or shopping experience.

Then again it could also just be the musings of a clueless blowhard...

To quote you my new mentor " I'm Just being honest!"
Yeah!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Amused am I.

Thank you for the unique perspective.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Cheekymonkeyman is on a distinguished road
This thread doesn't indicate people's wealth... It indicates those people who still understand the value of money... A level-headed perspective in my book... I hope i never forget how much $400 (or £233) is really worth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $400 for an oil change...Really?