$400 for an oil change...Really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:20 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
$400 for an oil change...Really?

I took my 2013 991 C4 to the dealership on Friday because the on-board computer said it was time to change the oil. I thought it would just be a matter of resetting the computer because I took delivery of this car (new) on February 1, 2014, and have only driven it about 2500 miles since then. So, imagine my surprise when the service advisor told me that I needed to change the oil due to the time that had passed since the car first arrived at the dealer, and that an oil change would cost $400. At that point I reached out to my salesman for futher clarification and/or relief. He reset the computer and now I will be reminded to change the oil every November. Fine, but $400? Are others paying anything like this? I realize it's a Porsche 991; however, we're just talking about several quarts of oil and a filter that, perhaps, amounts to $125. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
The only real solution if you want to avoid the outrageous pricing is to do it yourself. Prices by Porsche for oil changes are crazy and $400 appears to be on the high side. Ranges, depending on location, are $250-380, I think. I believe there are oil change guidelines in the DIY section. From what I have heard, it is not difficult at all.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
What they (the dealer) will tell you is that Porsche tells them that completely draining the oil takes something like 45 minutes and as such they charge you full bay time while the car drains in addition to the labor of actually changing the filter, adding oil, etc. I found that the actual price of the materials was very competitive with Suncoast and Walmart; it was the labor rate/time that was the gotcha. Most independents won't charge this way if the car is just sitting there draining.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I found for my Cayenne Diesel the OCI (which is every 5k) ranges from 350-675 in my area. For the 10k you need to drain water from the fuel filter and they want another $300 for that (took me 30 minutes and a $90 VAG tool (I actually paid $60, but any generic fluid extractor should do the job)).

On top of that, they aren't even draining the oil. They are using an extractor. Don't know if they do that on the 911s though.

If you can't DIY, find a good Indy (hell even a local VW dealer only charged me $112 to do the oil). Keep good records in either case.

I'm all for supporting your dealer, but I won't be ripped off like that and the typical "if you can afford a Porsche ..." tripe is BS in this case.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
$ 400 is nothing. You should see what it costs for an Aston Martin oil service (dry sump, main oil filter and two by-pass filters + lots of gaskets and copper washers). Such is the price you pay to play with big boy toys...lol.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I took my 2013 991 C4 to the dealership on Friday because the on-board computer said it was time to change the oil. I thought it would just be a matter of resetting the computer because I took delivery of this car (new) on February 1, 2014, and have only driven it about 2500 miles since then. So, imagine my surprise when the service advisor told me that I needed to change the oil due to the time that had passed since the car first arrived at the dealer, and that an oil change would cost $400. At that point I reached out to my salesman for futher clarification and/or relief. He reset the computer and now I will be reminded to change the oil every November. Fine, but $400? Are others paying anything like this? I realize it's a Porsche 991; however, we're just talking about several quarts of oil and a filter that, perhaps, amounts to $125. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
You'll find this topic covered extensively in this forum.... but you are correct in that the actual materials amount to a hundred and change, if that much. You are paying for bay time as others have mentioned. I do it myself ($75 for 10 qts Mobil 1 and $22 for the OEM filter, gasket, crush washer) and then have the dealer reset the computer next time I am in for something... Others on this board have mentioned that the dealer charges up to $65 just to reset, but that isn't my experience.... I've had it done for free (I think as long as you are already in the shop they don't mind doing it -- I wouldn't ask them if that was all I needed, as that does take their time from other billable work).

Good Luck

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I helped the oldest kid change the oil in his vehicle this weekend, and I told him to buy 10W30 which of course was wrong, so we went back to the store to get 5W30. I was stunned at how expensive ($5.79) a quart of non-synthetic was. And I buy the synthetic when it's on sale and stock-up, so I usually pay around $6/quart. When I had that stupid BMW M5, it was $13 a quart for the 10W60, but that's another thread...

So, I asked my dealer about the 991, and I think he quoted me $290. It might have been $390, not that it matters because both are excessive. I remember that they did quote me $470 to change it on the Panamera S, which might be due to the extra 10 minutes that it takes to remove the lower engine shield, which was a bit of a PITA laying on my back in the driveway... but I saved $350. I can see paying them for an hour of labor, but no more. Of course, they're also charging me full retail for the oil and filter, but it still doesn't really add up for me. DIY all the way, as long as I'm able.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Thank you for all of this helpful information and, please, keep the recommendations coming. Because of HOA rules, I cannot do a DIY oil change where I live; so, I will shop around for the least expensive alternative. Hopefully, I'll find this job for a lot cheaper than $400...in fact, I'm sure I can.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Thank you for all of this helpful information and, please, keep the recommendations coming. Because of HOA rules, I cannot do a DIY oil change where I live; so, I will shop around for the least expensive alternative. Hopefully, I'll find this job for a lot cheaper than $400...in fact, I'm sure I can.
I live in an HOA with similar rules. From your profile pic it looks like you have a garage (I don't) and HOAs usually can't say boo about what you do in your garage. You might review your HOA rules, but I do know there are some over the top HOAs/towns in MD so anything is possible

Depending on where you are, Intersport in Tysons (Vienna), VA is a highly regarded Porsche Indy. I don't know their prices as I haven't used them myself (and I now have a moral objection to them that means I never will).

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, seems like every new owner is shocked at the cost of getting an oil change and then a new thread emerges with roughly the same discussion:

1) You can do it your self if you are so mechanically included.. It's really no big deal... the 10K mile should cost you the cost of the filter and 8 or 9 qts of Mobile 1 so less than $100 and an hour of your time the first time.. The 20K when you change your intake filters is another $20 and a bit more of a challange since you have to remove the bumper to get at it. Add an hour the first time you do it and search for videos on line that show you how to get it off

2) You can go to a good indy who knows Porsche's about $150 to do the oil change. The best bet for the non mechanically included.

3) You can listen to the ninny's here that insist that you should pay $400 because it is a $100K car and well I guess you just should be willing to pay more. Oh and the argument $400 is cheap you should see how much it cost to do my [INSERT CAR TYPE HERE]

Don't understand that logic but to each his own.. Or some other weird logic that you will benefit later with goodwill in the warranty because you dealer knows you.. Lol this one always makes me laugh..

4) You can shop dealers.. seems price varies significantly. Probably can do better than $400 if you call and ask.. and going to the dealer makes you feel better.

5) Also note if you do it yourself you will need a Durametric tool to reset the indicator or find a friend with one.

Good luck in whatever you chose. 1 or 2 are my personal preferences. When I have the time I do it myself and when not I have a good indy..

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
take it to Jiffy Lube next time. JK. On a TTS here in Silicon Valley where the air costs money it was ~ $265 for an oil change. So yeah you can always find ways to save money. Changing it your self is certainly one of them. Just make sure you get a new washer for the oil pan as well because the old one will have already been compressed. GL

Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yep, seems like every new owner is shocked at the cost of getting an oil change and then a new thread emerges with roughly the same discussion:

1) You can do it your self if you are so mechanically included.. It's really no big deal... the 10K mile should cost you the cost of the filter and 8 or 9 qts of Mobile 1 so less than $100 and an hour of your time the first time.. The 20K when you change your intake filters is another $20 and a bit more of a challange since you have to remove the bumper to get at it. Add an hour the first time you do it and search for videos on line that show you how to get it off

2) You can go to a good indy who knows Porsche's about $150 to do the oil change. The best bet for the non mechanically included.

3) You can listen to the ninny's here that insist that you should pay $400 because it is a $100K car and well I guess you just should be willing to pay more. Oh and the argument $400 is cheap you should see how much it cost to do my [INSERT CAR TYPE HERE]

Don't understand that logic but to each his own.. Or some other weird logic that you will benefit later with goodwill in the warranty because you dealer knows you.. Lol this one always makes me laugh..

4) You can shop dealers.. seems price varies significantly. Probably can do better than $400 if you call and ask.. and going to the dealer makes you feel better.

5) Also note if you do it yourself you will need a Durametric tool to reset the indicator or find a friend with one.

Good luck in whatever you chose. 1 or 2 are my personal preferences. When I have the time I do it myself and when not I have a good indy..

Thanks for the good advice. I own a P4S in addition to the C4, so I am well acquainted with the Porsche "premium". Anyhow, spending that kind of dough for something that I absolutely know should cost considerably less makes no sense to me. I'll shop with other dealers when the time comes and, if I can't find anything reasonable with them, I'll take it to a reputable indy shop.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CALGUY
take it to Jiffy Lube next time. JK. On a TTS here in Silicon Valley where the air costs money it was ~ $265 for an oil change. So yeah you can always find ways to save money. Changing it your self is certainly one of them. Just make sure you get a new washer for the oil pan as well because the old one will have already been compressed. GL
Oh good god for a moment I thought you were serious

Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
I paid $259 last week for an oil change and service, which I thought was reasonable. I can do it myself for about $80 for the oil and filter, but I don't mind once a year the dealer looking over the car. But $400 sounds very steep for the same thing.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
$ 400 is nothing. You should see what it costs for an Aston Martin oil service (dry sump, main oil filter and two by-pass filters + lots of gaskets and copper washers). Such is the price you pay to play with big boy toys...lol.
A friend has a AM Rapide and believe me I know what the dealer would charge for oil service. The throttle body has to be removed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $400 for an oil change...Really?