2014 Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Targa2015 will become famous soon enough
Do you recommend buying an extended warranty on a new purchase, assuming someone keeps the car >4 yrs? Does Porsche themselves offer these or is it usually a third party?

Wheel and tire?

Anything else ?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Get wheel / tire and negotiate it. Worth every penny. Don't opt for ext warranty assuming you could afford cost of repairs post 4 years

Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche offers the CPO program you can purchase that takes the warranty out to 7 years, 100K miles. It will cost around $ 3,500 or so. You can also buy pre-paid maintenance from Porsche which isn't a bad idea unless you plan to turn your own wrenches.

It's worth it if you plan to sell the car between three and six years of age. High end cars are very difficult to sell without extended warranties, buyers want that and they become a bit of red herring without it, and suffer way more than the $ 3,500 cost in added depreciation. The car brand itself is very reliable, so from a 'breaking' standpoint probably not needed so if you plan to keep it past the 7 year mark you may not want it.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
The Porsche Certified Pre Owned Warranty adds on an extra 2 years.

It adds "2 years" to the existing warranty. I do not believe they will sell the additional 2 yrs. on a NEW car purchase.

CPO Warranty coverage:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.

Last edited by STG991; 09-30-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I have been told that CPO is only available through the dealership when they buy it from Porsche and place it on a used car for resale purposes. That is, it is NOT available to a new car purchaser. Has this changed or did I get bad info from my two dealers?

For the OP, wheel and tire is certainly worth it based on where you are driving. For example, there is a lot of new home construction around us and I would swear they throw nails randomly on the streets leading to the construction areas. 3rd party warranties certainly need to be reviewed for the fine print; statistically speaking most everyone will tell you they are not worth it. Cars have gotten to be like electronics, stuff fails at the beginning (factory/supplier error) or at the end (wear and tear).

Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Targa2015 will become famous soon enough
Can these extended warranties be bought after the factory one runs out? Makes more sense to do that and see what happens after 4 years?

Also would you get the prepaid maintenance on a 991?

Do dealers negotiate on any of this stuff?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
The best solution on regular maintenance (cost-wise) is to either do it yourself or at a trusty independent shop. The pricing range on things as simple as an oil change is large dealer to dealer but almost always significantly more than a non-P dealer. Yes, dealers will negotiate but remember, they are in the "higher-end" market so what you get is still likely more than you need to pay. For full disclosure purposes, my driving is so low mileage I go to the stealership once a year for the oil change. I gave up doing it myself years ago and I use the trip to talk about new/upcoming product.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
If you are able to locate a low milage demo car, they will normally CPO it. When I purchased my never titled 2013 CAB (2200 mi) this last April, dealer CPO and prepaid 3 year service on car. This in addition to a sizable price discount off of MSRP. You just have to wait for the right deal.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Targa2015
Can these extended warranties be bought after the factory one runs out? Makes more sense to do that and see what happens after 4 years?

Do dealers negotiate on any of this stuff?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
It depends on the program and dealership selling it. I had conflicting answers for my previous car, but I was eventually given the green light to buy a factory extended warranty after my original warranty expired.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Do you recommend buying an extended warranty on a new purchase, assuming someone keeps the car >4 yrs?
No.

Wheel and tire? Maybe if you live in pothole land. Florida? Probably not.

You gotta look at the expected cost of repairs post warranty and compare that to the warranty cost. Warranty companies, if they don't go bankrupt, are in the business of making money. The guy that sells you the warranty makes money, the guy servicing it makes money and the underwriter makes money.

Generally speaking, Porsches are pretty robust, well-made cars, and you shouldn't expect any major repairs or incidents in the first 100K miles. Maintenance, wear and tear, sure, but otherwise not. The other side of that is that if were you to get a PDK car and something went wrong with that, then you'll be out a big chunk o' change. Again, they're pretty stout, but it's a potential money pit.

There are also deductibles and exclusions, so be careful.

I never buy warranties or CPOs. I take my chances, and so far I've been OK.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Absolutely not.