991 DIY: Side Mirror Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
991 DIY: Side Mirror Removal

I just couldn't resist.....

Following is a DIY on how to remove the exterior side mirrors from the 991 doors. In my case I have a '14 991 C4S with standard mirrors (NOT Sport Design/GT3 style). I also don't have the power folding option. Not sure how much different the removal steps would be other than perhaps additional wires in the harness...

As I started this project, I was amazed at just how easy it is to get to the single bolt holding the mirror to the door!

Tools required:
  • Torx T-40 with long / extension bar
  • Interior Panel Tools

SAFETY: You shouldn't have anything to worry about with this little DIY, but CYA you can disconnect the negative (-) terminal connection on your battery to be sure that the side door airbag doesn't trigger.... This is a very very remote possibility in this case -- I would be more concerned with this if I were removing the entire door panel!

You may also want to put down some towels, other bits to protect any surfaces you are worried about. As always, just take your time, don't force anything (unnecessarily!), and you shouldn't have any worries.

SORRY for the shadows and some blurry pics! car was partially in the sun in my garage, and I was holding my iPhone with one hand....

Step 1: Open the door. At the front edge, there are what appear to be two plastic panels - they are actually one large panel - where you see "Airbag". In this pic I've indicated the panel.

Step 2: Remove the Plastic Panel. Get one of your panel tools -- you could probably do this with your hands only, but I found the tools to be a safe way to go. Start where you see in the picture below, slide your tool edge under the plastic edge where it meets the metal of the door frame, and pry it up from the door. It should "pop" free just a bit.

Now follow the pictures in order below to gently pop-free all of the connecting tabs under the panel....

When you get to the last spot around the panel edge, it should just pop-off in your hand. Here is a shot of the rear of the panel, indicating the connecting tabs (red circles).

I've also indicated two pins on the rear, in Orange and Pink (what the heck?) circles. These two pins are a bit different, and one has a rubber cover over it that you don't want to lose, or worse, drop in behind the door panel!

Step 3: Expose Bolt. Now that you have the plastic trim panel removed, look at the door. In the pic below I've first indicated where all the tabs and two pins on the trim piece attach to the door panel...

In the center, indicated in this pic, you should see a black rubber plug... circled in green.

Directly beneath this plug is the bolt holding the mirror to the door. You want to gently pry the plug up and out of the hole. You can use a thin trim tool or something handy to get one edge up, then just pull it out with your fingers. Don't lose this!

You should now see the opening through which you access the bolt.

Step 4: Remove the retaining bolt. The bolt is a T-40. You will need an extension of at least 4" or a long handle to reach the bolt. Make sure if you are using a T bit that it is securely held in place in your tool, as you definitely don't want to have it fall out and down into the door! That would suck!

Before you get the bolt too loose, make sure to put something down on the side of the car to protect the mirror from falling and hitting the side of the car!

I found the bolt to be VERY tight. I didn't need a breaker-bar or anything, but took some muscle to loosen. But once I did, the mirror starts releasing from the door as you loosen the bolt.

I stopped there. Didn't have time to go any further and take the mirror completely off. I will do that later tonight and post some pics as an edit to this post.

Cheers!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
You're too much!!

Quite the MacGyver!!

Nice job. You didn't mess around getting this done and posted.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
There was a guy on TV when I was a kid " Mr. Wizard" - deja vu

Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
That he is! Nice job once again.

I didn't realize that small panel came off by itself. Great find.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2733319227.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	406340   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2996690957.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	406341  

Last edited by STG991; 10-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Thanks much guys- I enjoy doing these and plus I get to scratch my curiosity itch!

Plus, let's just say I have a rattle-free 991!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 AM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
any update on this? How did you disconnect the wiring harness?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
any update on this? How did you disconnect the wiring harness?
Hi- Yes, sorry, I never got around to updating here on 6speed... I did post an update on my blog: 991 Side Mirror Removal

And just for reference, here is the PET diagram: (#12 is the wire bundle you are pulling through the door.)

Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Hey All- FYI, I just posted-up a new YouTube video and Blog Post detailing Driver Door Mirror Removal... I actually wanted to get the mirrors off so that I could strip-off the matte black Plastidip that I've had on them for the past year or so.

And blog post here: Plenums Blog

Originally Posted by plenum
Hi- Yes, sorry, I never got around to updating here on 6speed... I did post an update on my blog: 991 Side Mirror Removal

Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Great job and great video. I was wondering if the standard mirror can be swapped out directly for the sport mirror. I bought my car off the lot and that is one minor option I would have liked to have. I have heard the sport mirrors have less wind buffeting.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Great stuff as always Plenum. Super!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by porsche42
Great job and great video. I was wondering if the standard mirror can be swapped out directly for the sport mirror. I bought my car off the lot and that is one minor option I would have liked to have. I have heard the sport mirrors have less wind buffeting.
The short answer is yes, it can -- but the caveat being that while the mounting and wiring harness connections are direct-fit, you will need a reprogramming at the dealer. Also, if you have power folding, you will lose that feature. There have been members on this forum that have done it already -- perhaps they can chime in here if there is more to know about swapping....

Old 09-03-2016, 04:08 PM
jddarkhorse14 is on a distinguished road
I am wondering the same. I have purchased the sport design kit from suncoast (comes with a billion little boxes). Do I need to disassemble the non-sport mirror to use some of the old components or can I assemble the kit purchased from suncoast and swap. Main concern, I wanted to assemble the mirror before taking my stock mirror out.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by jddarkhorse14
I am wondering the same. I have purchased the sport design kit from suncoast (comes with a billion little boxes). Do I need to disassemble the non-sport mirror to use some of the old components or can I assemble the kit purchased from suncoast and swap. Main concern, I wanted to assemble the mirror before taking my stock mirror out.
If you bought the kit based on supplying your VIN then what you receive from Suncoast should have everything you need. No need to cannibalize your OE mirrors.