991 4s a true daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 PM
jcrew is on a distinguished road
991 4s a true daily driver?

Hey everyone I'm brand new to the forum, but have been reading post on 6speed for the last couple months, and finally decided it was time to create an account. Right now I'm trying to help my dad decide on a new daily driver and he isn't convinced a 991 can truly handle his needs. He currently has a 997 as his weekend car, and absolutely loves it, but wants to consolidate down to one car.

He lives in the Mid-Atlantic, and the region in which he lives usually receives a good amount of snow and ice each year. He roughly commutes 130miles round trip, five days a week. His biggest concern is that even with winter tires, he worries the car won't be able to be reliable in the snow and that it won't be a comfortable ride.

I have read many great things on this forum about the daily drive ability of the 991, but I just wanted to hear myself from people with first hand experience if the 991 4s is a good contender for a year round daily driver.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I daily drive my 2s.
If I was in snow, I would get the softer & higher PASM (instead of SPASM) and skip PDCC.
Ground clearance and harsh ride are my only complaints for daily driving.
Also the crappy Bose, so get Burmester.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Mine has been my daily driver for 2+ years now and feels and look new. It's bullet proof unlike other super cars in its category. But Ive hardly parked it outdoors all day (at home and at work, in garage) and live in the Bay Area ... So my circumstances/environment arent exactly like your dads....

Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I live in the D.C. metro area and prefer to use my P4S as a daily driver and drive my C4 mostly on weekends. The P4S is equipped with PASM but, even then, there have been some snow days here where I just worked from home. I believe that the C4 (and C4S) would be able to handle most winter driving conditions with the right equipment. However, if it were me and I could choose only one vehicle, I would think long and hard about choosing the 991 (which I love) because of the absolutely terrible conditions of some of the roads...potholes that can swallow smaller cars.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
I drive my 991 as a daily driver but not in the winter. The car does not have enough ground clearance to safely maneuver through more than a few inches. Not to mention the potholes, road salt/sand. Other winter conditions. For the cost of a set of winter wheels/tires, I bought a second car for the winter. I know you said your dads goal is to consolidate but this is my opinion. If it wasn't for the winter, the 991 is a great daily driver. Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
I drive my C2S every day. In the winter I put snow tires on it.

On really nasty days (more than a few inches of snow and the roads have not yet been cleared), I will leave it in the garage and take my SUV (or just telework hahaha!) but I like having the snow tires on in winter in case it snows unexpectedly and I get caught in it.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
jcrew is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of the feedback. It looks as if his concerns have been validated. I believe he is going to go for a Macan for the time being, until he feels comfortable getting another car he can devote solely to weekend/warm weather driving. Thanks for your insight guys!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 AM
whiplash12 is on a distinguished road
I live outside of and work in Washington DC. I've got two older Land Rovers one of which (a Defender) I use some days to drive into work during the summer, but generally, I use my '15 4S as a daily. used it all winter and with winter wheels/tires, it was a champ. if you live anywhere where snow comes down in more than 3 inch bouts, maybe not. but even when it does, the roads are pretty clear. the 4s powers thru like a rover. just take it slower to watch for potholes etc. But my intent is to drive it every single day, 365 a year. and i keep it outside 100% of the time. only thing i did to protect the front end and mirrors, was 3m it with the clear finish. seems to really help protect the front end. if that gets banged up, its just a few hundred to get it redone. saves you from painting. good luck

Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
I don't daily drive my car for one reason - I don't always want to be seen in it. I don't feel comfortable taking it to do business or if I'm going someplace where I feel the car may be vulnerable and I might be leaving it somewhere. Obviously many people will feel differently about this, but I for sure wouldn't want to have my 991 as my only vehicle for those two reasons; the image it can portray, and the fact I might worry about it in places.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I wouldn't do it in NY - especially in Manhattan.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
On my third winter in my 2016 C4S in Cleveland, Ohio. We definitely get our fair share of snow here during the winters and I have never had a problem. I have SPASM and haven't had an issue. This car is a beast in the snow with 4 snow tires. I downsize my 20" Carrera S wheels to 19" OZ wheels and Pirelli Sottozero snow tires and this is my DD.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:55 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
It’s my daily driver for about 6 years now; it’s perfect

Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
IMO the 991 is the perfect daily drivable sports car. Excellent visibility, compact, RWS makes parking even easier, awesome burmester audio, cooled seats, smooth like a cadillac, but also very quick and handles well

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 12-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:03 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
IF you DD it on the east coast the exhaust bolts WILL rust, so replace them immediately before they corrode in place.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by r11rs
IF you DD it on the east coast the exhaust bolts WILL rust, so replace them immediately before they corrode in place.
Lol...this is so true...other than that...winter tires and have at it!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 4s a true daily driver?