New DIY: Rear Side Window Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
New DIY: Rear Side Window Removal

FYI, posted a new project over on the 991 DIY Thread: Rear Side Window Removal.

I've put the complete details and some pictures up on my blog for those that are interested in the blow-by-blow description of how to get the rear side window out of the car. You may be surprised at just how "easy" it is to remove the window and lower trim, as there are only two bolts and some plastic guide pins holding it place! No adhesives, clamps or anything. Unscrew two bolts and the whole thing just "pops-out" of the car body!

Anyways, hope this is informative. Thanks for reading!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Good God. Is there no end to your urge to strip your car to pieces!!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dux
Good God. Is there no end to your urge to strip your car to pieces!!
I think I have the official "Engine Removal and Installation" WM somewhere around here... Maybe I'll post a DIY on that one? Right....

So I get a chance to tinker and where appropriate use my own car as a "workbench." It is how I love to learn, and just so happens that I have a friend who knows a guy.... So I'm not really worried about the learning-curve. And I certainly don't have any rattles or squeaks in my car!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Very impressive.
As always, thanks for posting.

Perhaps you can sell your services to the Porsche technicians, because it seems to take them a lot longer to figure this stuff out than it does you.
A Six Sigma project..?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Very impressive. As always, thanks for posting. Perhaps you can sell your services to the Porsche technicians, because it seems to take them a lot longer to figure this stuff out than it does you.
Hilarious but true!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Funny guys... Sad, but maybe true....

Honestly, was at the PCNA East Coast mechanics training facility recently, and snapped the following pic - Was trying to figure out if I could just take a test and jump to "Gold" certification... you know, like AP exams in college, test-out of a lot of boring classes and get paid!

Here's what a Porsche tech has to go through....

Old 03-31-2015, 04:20 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
As we know, there are always those who somehow make it through college somehow, someway, without learning much!! Chart or no chart

Last edited by STG991; 03-31-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
gwi991 is on a distinguished road
Interesting to know now if someone can figure how to make the window open and close at the corner just like the old style windows. This would be a cool classic feature on a modern car and solve the buffering issue.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by gwi991
Interesting to know now if someone can figure how to make the window open and close at the corner just like the old style windows. This would be a cool classic feature on a modern car and solve the buffering issue.
You want power or manual??

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
dux
My Audi Quattro had those years ago (electric).

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 AM
gwi991 is on a distinguished road
I would pay to have this done either way manual or electric. Dont know what anyone thinks about this mod ill be the gladly be the first.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:37 AM
bmxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
I try to resit my window trim and I am not able to move the weather seal one bit. When you say easy to pull away from the body, how easy is it? No force or with force? Pop off in 2 sec or need to forcefully pull them out? I pull and pull and pull and it won't budge abit.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I try to resit my window trim and I am not able to move the weather seal one bit. When you say easy to pull away from the body, how easy is it? No force or with force? Pop off in 2 sec or need to forcefully pull them out? I pull and pull and pull and it won't budge abit.
Are you referring to the seal along the rear-and-bottom-edges of the rear window? Or the trim that runs from front to rear over the door? Weather seal on the rear and bottom sides of the window is not "moveable" without moving the whole window. The rubber weather seal running around the door opening is simply pull-out, and the trim running from windshield to rear-window unclips. But the rear window comes from factory with some of the trim and seal built-on and not removeable. As STG and others would tell you, if you need to replace just the trim / seal around that part of the window, you have to order an entire window assembly -- you can't just replace the seal or trim.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 PM
bmxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by plenum
Are you referring to the seal along the rear-and-bottom-edges of the rear window? Or the trim that runs from front to rear over the door? Weather seal on the rear and bottom sides of the window is not "moveable" without moving the whole window. The rubber weather seal running around the door opening is simply pull-out, and the trim running from windshield to rear-window unclips. But the rear window comes from factory with some of the trim and seal built-on and not removeable. As STG and others would tell you, if you need to replace just the trim / seal around that part of the window, you have to order an entire window assembly -- you can't just replace the seal or trim.

Sorry, miss the specifics. It's the seal around the door opening. I wanted to loosen the trim and see if i can push it over to close the small gap i have on the rear side window upper trim that connects to the front trim.
I am considering just patching the gap with something but can't think of anything that would blend.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-31-2016 at 12:24 PM.