991 DIYs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone is interested in protecting their OEM front windshield from rock chips and cracks with a DIY kit, take a look at this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rotection.html

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
DIY - Radiator grill mesh

My front radiators started to look bad (no functional issue) and a fair amount of rubber and debris would accumulate in the radiator openings after each track day.

There is no grill mesh option available on the market yet for the front sport apron, so I had to go for a quick DIY.
I did not want to remove the front bumper, so I worked 'from the outside'.

Step 1: created a model using painter's tape and semi-rigid wires

Step 2: ordered grill mesh (12 x 48" small diamond - black) from customcargrills.com. I think you can find the same grill at your local Home Depot, but ordering online was more convenient and I trusted the quality a bit more.

Step 3: use the model to cut grills for both radiators air intakes

Step 4: just slide the grill in and attach with 4 zip ties

... and here's the final result:

edit: I have attached a PDF file with the template to be used for the grills.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Grill template.pdf (164.5 KB, 953 views)

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-29-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: adding grill templates
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
BMC air filter

Here we go again with a +0.5 hp/+0.5 dB mod. What is the point of being sarcastic since it is the SECOND time that I do this mod on a 991 ?
First, I like mods that I can do myself, second, even if the benefit can hardly be quantified, it can do no harm and you have a (little) bit more sound.

You will need to remove the rear bumper to get access to the airbox. To do this, you'll have to lift/jack the back of the car so that you can remove both wheels.

r

You will get access to the top screws by lifting the wing (if powered or by removing the 2 screws under the engine lid and popping out the ducktail/fixed wing).
Just do not rush things and check that you are not forgetting any screws. You will first remove the taillights, then go around the bumper and remove all the screws you see. Do not forget the 3 screws in each wheel arch. When you are ready to remove the bumper, pull gently and make sure you do not tear off the license plate lighting power cable.

Open the air box, swap the filters and reassemble.

Stock filters:

BMC filters:

Be patient again when you put the bumper back in place, you want to make sure that it remains well aligned and flush with the body of the car.
Done in 60 to 75 minutes in total.

Enjoy!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
A little more on deconstructing your 991 to install a BMC air filter or just change the OE one. No way to do it without dropping the rear bumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnfp6...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by fantom; 06-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Katmai is on a distinguished road
I can't believe with the rear bumper off you still can not see the engine! They really did a good job of hiding it on the 991.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM
ghmkmfhao is on a distinguished road
You will need to remove the rear bumper to get access to the airbox

Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Aualex2 is on a distinguished road
My driver side window switch wasn't functioning properly. It would lower and raise if I held the switch in position, but it would not go up or down all the way when I hit auto. The dealership gave me instructions on resetting the window switch. It fixed the problem, and I thought I'd pass it along.To reset (car must be on):1) lower the window all the way down and release the switch2) push the switch down, hold it there for 3 seconds, and then release3) raise the window all the way and release the switch4) pull the switch up, hold it for 3 seconds, and then release5) turn car off and then back onHope this helps anyone else who is having switch problems.*Alex

Old 01-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
DIY Mesh for front grills

I checked the reference above, but that's for the sport bumper cap. Since I have the regular front end I also made my own. I ordered the mesh from customcargrills and made a cardboard template to the rough shape of the opening. I bent the mesh around a 1" pipe and slid it into the opening. Once it was all the way in, there is plenty of room to slide it to one side and get my hand behind the mesh and straighten out the bend. Then slide it the opposite side and finish bending the mesh straight. Then with a couple of black tie wraps to the vertical supports (on the bottom sides) and one on the outboard end and I was done.

PS, excuse all the bugs, I just got back from a fantastic 3 day drive with 5 other Porsche owners to find my intakes full of bugs, leaves and stones. No time like the present to get this mod done.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	991 Mod 003.JPG
Views:	1595
Size:	838.7 KB
ID:	320218   Click image for larger version

Name:	991 Mod 004.JPG
Views:	1656
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	320219   Click image for larger version

Name:	991 Mod 008.JPG
Views:	1741
Size:	1,023.6 KB
ID:	320221  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
991 Center Console Trim Removal:

DIY: 991 Center Console Trim Removal

Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
DIY "Quiet Cabin" Mod. (Locating/blocking the sound symposer valve that pipes in intake/engine noise).

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...poser-mod.html

Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Great detailing tips and recommended product tips

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...etailings.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 DIYs