Bad to drive in sport plus mode all the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Bad to drive in sport plus mode all the time?

Hello
I have a 2012 Carrera S manual.
When I put it in sport plus mode, it gives a slight higher rev and gets a tad tighter.

However, its not as dramatic as a 2015 cayman with PDK that I had as a loaner car.

Anyway, was wondering if its bad for the car to have it in sport mode all the time?

I realize with the Cayman it probably would be (hard on the car) as it made that car super aggressive.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Not bad for the car but it will kill your MPG.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:17 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
bad if you have a weak heart.......you can use sport mode in traffic or in town where sport+ is worthless

Last edited by trysixty; 05-07-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Wait... there are other modes?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hello
Anyway, was wondering if its bad for the car to have it in sport mode all the time?
I can't remember for sure but I think the manual says not to use S+ until the engine is warmed -- it's worth checking.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
Not bad for the car but it will kill your MPG.
these cars are designed to be driven like they were stolen. that said, unless it's leased, i'd drive it like i own it....i do.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Why would you would think it would be bad for the car? Porsche put that button there, and designed for it to be used.

I hit that button as soon as I start the car. everytime.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I can't remember for sure but I think the manual says not to use S+ until the engine is warmed -- it's worth checking.
I remember having a discussion about this here months ago. It shouldn't matter, because the actual changes in mapping and increased revs/etc. kicks in only when the engine is warmed up above ~150* (IIRC).

Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
You'll be fine - you'd be surprised as to how much better these cars age when driven aggressively.

I've got a few customers who hit that button every single time they get into the car, as the first thing they do!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:20 AM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HOUSE Motorsports
I've got a few customers who hit that button every single time they get into the car, as the first thing they do!
Who doesn't? Seriously, I'm not being "macho on the internet" or anything -- I just think that should be the default mode. Then they should have a "comfort" button or "wife" button or something so you could dial it back on those occasions where a passenger wants a more docile experience, you are on the phone and want things calmer, or you are creeping home at night.

I will often turn the shock button off, though, if I am just driving on surface streets in town and have no need of the tighter shocks. Sport +, no shocks, is probably my set-up 60% of the time. Sport +with shocks is probably 35%, and the last 5% is in Full Comfort mode for the above-listed reasons.

Car's made it almost 500 miles without blowing up yet!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 AM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
OP states he has a carrera s manual. what is the diff bet sport and sport + w/ the manual?

W/ PDK it holds rev's much higher, but if you are shifting yourself.... what changes?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have a 991S Cab with X51 kit. When you go to Sport or Sport+ the third oil cooler opens up. I have been advised to not use Sport or Sport+ until oil temperature reaches at least 165'F. Takes about 5-6 miles.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dogshyne
OP states he has a carrera s manual. what is the diff bet sport and sport + w/ the manual?

W/ PDK it holds rev's much higher, but if you are shifting yourself.... what changes?
If you have a manual that is a mid cycle 2013 or later, you get auto rev matching on downshifts in sport plus. Not sure about the dynamic engine mounts, but aren't they only active in sport plus mode?

Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GS997S
If you have a manual that is a mid cycle 2013 or later, you get auto rev matching on downshifts in sport plus. Not sure about the dynamic engine mounts, but aren't they only active in sport plus mode?

We get:

- Auto rev-matching
- PASM automatically switches to "sport" chassis
- PSM intervention is later
- Engine mounts stiffen

Not sure if that's the full list, but it's more than just the rev-matching feature.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:15 AM
GIZMOGIRL256 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Who doesn't? Seriously, I'm not being "macho on the internet" or anything -- I just think that should be the default mode. Then they should have a "comfort" button or "wife" button ......
"Wife button"....seriously? I'm thinking that qualifies you for being "macho on the internet".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad to drive in sport plus mode all the time?