Paint protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by af330i
What is the typical expense of the clear bra ... I know it will vary depending on what parts of the car you decide to have done but what is the general range let's say from doing just the front to doing the whole car.

Maybe I am wrong but aren't you basically covering your paint with a film so any imperfections in the paint are now covered ... I think that would drive me crazy knowing that there is an imperfection that I now can't correct in the paint since it's covered.

The other part of the film that I don't understand is the reason for waxing over the film ... does it add any protectant to the plastic or are you just trying to get the contaminates off that have accumulated over time.

I'm on the fence with this for my next car, I love the fact that it protects against paint chips but don't know enough about the product plus it really bothers me my car gets taken apart when it is brand new during the install ...

Like you said, cost varies widely depending on show, film, and how much of the car you will be covering. Call a few installers and they will help you with prices.

Regarding your worries about imperfections, a good installer will prep the car and get rid of any imperfections before putting the bra on - so once done it will look perfect. There should be no imperfections under the film.

You should treat the film as if it were paint - wash it carefully as you would wash your paint. Wax it as you would wax your paint. You can even put sealant on it - just do not clay it or put a buffer on it. I have been told that you can clay it and buff it, but only if you really know what you are doing, so I would leave it to the professionals.

I clear bra'd my last 2 P cars - both brand new. The most important thing is the installer. See you are in LI - give Detailing Dynamics a call when you are ready. Great guys and they do an awesome job. Your car is safe with them.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:21 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
xpel is self healing. It resists scratching and thing that typically scratch your paint will not be an issue. In my mind this means that I don't even use the two bucket method when washing my car except on the small area I mentioned in my other entry. I think it is well worth the cost as I hate chips and they are sooooo easily seen on dark colored cars like mine.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
mmaturo is on a distinguished road
Key is to do a full/proper paint correction before putting the film on. So the paint is perfect under it. Besides the full front wrap and mirrors, I did the door handle pockets, and really glad I did a piece that goes down the rear edge of the rear wheel opening and down under the rear bumper for a ways. I already had chips eating through the paint at the bottom of the rear arch. Mine was a little pricey at just over $2K but the guys doing it are worth it which I found out the hard way using another cheaper guy for the first try at it...it had to be redone and it is a night and day difference in quality.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:07 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy

I clear bra'd my last 2 P cars - both brand new. The most important thing is the installer. See you are in LI - give Detailing Dynamics a call when you are ready. Great guys and they do an awesome job. Your car is safe with them.

Great suggestion, I'm pretty familiar with Detailing Dynamics, they removed a door ding on my NSX when I had one ... I also see they are highly rated on the xpel website.

Anyway it's too late to do it to on my current car but will definitely consider it on my next one.

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
xpel is self healing. It resists scratching and thing that typically scratch your paint will not be an issue. In my mind this means that I don't even use the two bucket method when washing my car except on the small area I mentioned in my other entry. I think it is well worth the cost as I hate chips and they are sooooo easily seen on dark colored cars like mine.
That is pretty amazing it is self healing !! I definitely agree on darker cars comment, you see everything ... kind of makes me want to get all of my cars in white next time (currently my 3 personal cars are all Black).

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Key is to do a full/proper paint correction before putting the film on. So the paint is perfect under it. Besides the full front wrap and mirrors, I did the door handle pockets, and really glad I did a piece that goes down the rear edge of the rear wheel opening and down under the rear bumper for a ways. I already had chips eating through the paint at the bottom of the rear arch. Mine was a little pricey at just over $2K but the guys doing it are worth it which I found out the hard way using another cheaper guy for the first try at it...it had to be redone and it is a night and day difference in quality.
The paint correction makes complete sense I had it done on my R8 and wow it is just incredible, i never knew paint to be so perfect ... the part that bothers me is giving my next brand new car to someone as soon as I get it but I guess this is something I need to get over.

BTW the door pockets are a part of the car that probably gets the most scratches ... good call !!