Test Drove 3 911's at the Dealer, and I'm curious...Need a little info...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Test Drove 3 911's at the Dealer, and I'm curious...Need a little info...

Test drove the Targa4 , and I felt it was really under powered. Looked great though. The one that stood out for me was a 2015 911 Carrera S coupe, which I really liked!

Now, the curious question happens to be about SPASM. The SPASM vehicle I drove felt slightly stiffer than just the PASM 911 however, It felt like it wasn't as, "Floaty" for lack of a better term as the PASM 911.

I mean both were tight, but the Spasm 911 felt really tight even when going over ruts and on a pretty bumpy road. It didn't upset the car as much as the PASM 911. I hope I'm explaining it correctly.

My dilemma is that, I didn't think i would like the SPASM 911 and, has anyone here grown tired of the Stiffer ride or have any comments of your experience with either SPASM or just PASM?

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 02-27-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
oh, and is there a way to see if a 911 has SPASM without the MSRP Info Sticker? You know Like if looking inside the cabin of a used 911?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
has anyone here grown tired of the Stiffer ride or have any comments of your experience with either SPASM or just PASM?
Not at all. I also went through the same dilemma and didn't know whether to spec my GTS with PASM Sport. I test drove a few 911s back to back with different specs and loved the "tighter" feel of PASM Sport. You're right; it's not as "floaty" as a regular PASM 911. Then again, a regular 911 without PASM Sport is far, far from "floaty" imo!

I daily drive my GTS in Los Angeles traffic and crappy roads. Not tired of it at all. One trick to keep in mind is that the tire pressures can be reduced to "comfort" settings to ease the bumps. It helps quite a bit.

The ride is still pretty smooth and doable. I'd tick the PASM Sport box again on another order.

Edit: FYI, I didn't have PASM Sport on my 2013 C2S, and the ride difference is noticeable. As you've stated, the PASM Sport models are less "floaty" and feel firmer. The best way I can describe it is that my GTS (with PASM Sport) rides more like a supercar: it's lower, more responsive, and a bit more firm. It feels planted. The 2013 C2S was still amazing, but the GTS with PASM Sport feels much firmer without being overly stiff.

oh, and is there a way to see if a 911 has SPASM without the MSRP Info Sticker? You know Like if looking inside the cabin of a used 911?
I don't think there's a way to tell from *inside* the cabin. There are no other indicators or suspension elements that would be controllable or marked from the interior.

To my eye, though, PASM Sport is easily spottable on a 911 from the outside. My friends (and my dealer rep) think I'm sick, but I can successfully tell whether the car has PASM Sport. Even though the exterior drop is slight, it can be spotted with a trained eye.

Last edited by Christophosphorus; 02-27-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Db750 is on a distinguished road
When I test drove 911's the only cars I was able to test did not have SPASM. When I first drove away from the dealer in my SPASM car I will admit that I was a bit worried about the stiffness of the ride. It is very firm! Having said that it only took me a day or two to get used to, and there is no way I could go back to a car without it now. Even though the car is very stiff or firm it is still very confident and well composed even on bumpy roads. Now when I get into my M3 competition package (which also has the lower or stiffer suspension for that model) it feels like a soft and floaty Camry! So, for me, I have had the opposite of what you are asking happen. I have actually grown to like the ride more over time, and would not consider a car without the SPASM now.

As for how to identify the car it is very obvious to me when looking at two cars which one is lower. The SPASM really gives the 991 the perfect stance from the factory IMO. Even thought it is only a small drop, it gives a very big visual impact in the overall look of the car which is even more evident in person. I think even for people who don't know much about cars the drop give the car a lower, wider, and more sporty appearance.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I have SPASM on my 991 GTS and also had it on my 997 GTS. I really wouldn't want a 991 without it. To me, the regular PASM on a 991 is too soft. Sure, you can firm up regular PASM by putting into the sport setting, but to me, that is a little too stiff. SPASM in normal mode is just right for a sports car. As others have said, SPASM also gives you a better look with a slightly lower stance. If you are buying the car form a Porsche dealer, he should be able to look up the build of the car and tell you exactly which options it has.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:08 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
You can load up the VIN reader on your phone and check when you're looking at pre-owned.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

On the suspension feel....I personally did not do any back to back comparisons but driving my SPASM C4S with different tire pressures it can be a bit different with just a few more or less PSI. I like the comfort setting (not full load) and let the PASM work on firming up the ride when needed.

When you test drive, cycle through the MFD and see what pressures are in the tires.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Wink Great info thanks!

Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Not at all. I also went through the same dilemma and didn't know whether to spec my GTS with PASM Sport. I test drove a few 911s back to back with different specs and loved the "tighter" feel of PASM Sport. You're right; it's not as "floaty" as a regular PASM 911. Then again, a regular 911 without PASM Sport is far, far from "floaty" imo!

I daily drive my GTS in Los Angeles traffic and crappy roads. Not tired of it at all. One trick to keep in mind is that the tire pressures can be reduced to "comfort" settings to ease the bumps. It helps quite a bit.

The ride is still pretty smooth and doable. I'd tick the PASM Sport box again on another order.
Thanks Christophosphorus for all the info. It's nice to know that there are others who can appreciate the subtle differences, and know what options to check off so we won't be disappointed later. It has been difficult to test drive with busy schedule, but I am going to make a commitment to doing so.

Originally Posted by Db750
When I test drove 911's the only cars I was able to test did not have SPASM. When I first drove away from the dealer in my SPASM car I will admit that I was a bit worried about the stiffness of the ride. It is very firm! Having said that it only took me a day or two to get used to, and there is no way I could go back to a car without it now. Even though the car is very stiff or firm it is still very confident and well composed even on bumpy roads. Now when I get into my M3 competition package (which also has the lower or stiffer suspension for that model) it feels like a soft and floaty Camry! So, for me, I have had the opposite of what you are asking happen. I have actually grown to like the ride more over time, and would not consider a car without the SPASM now.

As for how to identify the car it is very obvious to me when looking at two cars which one is lower. The SPASM really gives the 991 the perfect stance from the factory IMO. Even thought it is only a small drop, it gives a very big visual impact in the overall look of the car which is even more evident in person. I think even for people who don't know much about cars the drop give the car a lower, wider, and more sporty appearance.
I know right...! The SPASM really is for those few who care about the minute variations in the suspension. I kept on going back and forth between the Boxster GTS, and the 911. I did not want to believe that the standard PASM 911 drove like that, and i wasn't going to spend $150k or even $50k on a car that I did not like to drive. I thought that it was possibly that the allignment was off or different pressures in each tire, or maybe someone curbed one of the wheels. I went back and for to dealership, time permitting over 1 year, and still was unable to put my finger on it until I drove the SPASM 911 S coupe. Weird that, that option was the issue and not the model I was driving...REal happy I found out because we almost made an offer on the GTS Boxster...

Originally Posted by GS997S
I have SPASM on my 991 GTS and also had it on my 997 GTS. I really wouldn't want a 991 without it. To me, the regular PASM on a 991 is too soft. Sure, you can firm up regular PASM by putting into the sport setting, but to me, that is a little too stiff. SPASM in normal mode is just right for a sports car. As others have said, SPASM also gives you a better look with a slightly lower stance. If you are buying the car form a Porsche dealer, he should be able to look up the build of the car and tell you exactly which options it has.
That is what the consensus is saying...and I'm glad that you mention that regular PASM on sport feels to firm. I have seen many manufacturers that have adjustable settings, and the test car driver usually likes it on the regular setting. However, we just bought an E400 Mercedes, and they have done a wonderful job on their Sport button... And yes, I will be sure to check with dealer about the SPASM option...

Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S
You can load up the VIN reader on your phone and check when you're looking at pre-owned.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

On the suspension feel....I personally did not do any back to back comparisons but driving my SPASM C4S with different tire pressures it can be a bit different with just a few more or less PSI. I like the comfort setting (not full load) and let the PASM work on firming up the ride when needed.

When you test drive, cycle through the MFD and see what pressures are in the tires.
That is the way to go...I did notice on my last test drive the the presures were in the high 30's and not in the Low 40's like some other 911's. Some folks don't realize how much a role tire pressure play s int he feel or the car. And yes, I will check again and see.

I can't believe that the regular PASM threw me off so much. I did not want to believe that my venerable 911 rode so loose, Floaty, not accurate. I mean call it what you want but I thought it could have been so many other variables. Suspension damage, Tire pressures, different, alignment out... And, when I wanted to test drive the New one, the guy was like uhhh uhhh we can't put too many miles on the new ones or the buyer won't want to buy it. So, I jut smiled and said whatever. I mean I hadn't found anything I liked yet, and I was kind of limited because I was test driving CAb's and I guess that SPASM doesn't come on the Cab's...

Oh, well, It has been a great learning experience, and it hasn't cost me anything...yet... So

Old 02-28-2016, 02:08 AM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
Echo the comment about tyre pressures. My PDCC cab felt pretty vague until I put it on comfort partial-load pressures and then it handled great. But that's nothing compared to the change installing the DSC module made. It now feels absolutely planted, sport mode is comfortable enough to use all the time, and road feel is much improved. If you are a cab person and SPASM is not an option (or if, like me, you live in Speedbump City and lowering would do more harm than good) then this is a good way to go.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Echo the comment about tyre pressures. My PDCC cab felt pretty vague until I put it on comfort partial-load pressures and then it handled great. But that's nothing compared to the change installing the DSC module made. It now feels absolutely planted, sport mode is comfortable enough to use all the time, and road feel is much improved. If you are a cab person and SPASM is not an option (or if, like me, you live in Speedbump City and lowering would do more harm than good) then this is a good way to go.
So i assume your referring to this

http://www.tpcracing.com/dsc.html

So it seems that you get a fully active suspension, and that sounds great. I assume however, it does not lower your 911 the comparable 10mm that OEM SPASM does...

obviously, there are many who have had this issue! Thanks for sharing...

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 02-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Phillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to beholdPhillip123 is a splendid one to behold
I'd say that a SPASM should be mandatory for a GTS. It's really something you want to have.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I think it comes down to how the roads are where you live. When I was in ATL I had the sport suspension and loved it. When I moved to MKE the roads are so bad it was tough to take after a while. When I was on the phone people would ask what the noise was when I hit expansion joints.

My 991 has non-sport and l love it. It's very compliant when I want it to be but I can always push the button when I want it stiffer... I don't know the exact rates but I have read that the normal car, in sport mode, is about the same as a SPASM in "normal" mode...

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:00 AM
So i assume your referring to this

http://www.tpcracing.com/dsc.html

So it seems that you get a fully active suspension, and that sounds great. I assume however, it does not lower your 911 the comparable 10mm that OEM SPASM does...

obviously, there are many who have had this issue! Thanks for sharing...
That's correct. The car's handling is much improved, with both corner speed and feedback increased, but the ride height stays the same.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 AM
tron786 is on a distinguished road
If there was only 1 choice over standard C2S ....

C4S versus SPASM versus PDCC.

What would you choose?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tron786
If there was only 1 choice over standard C2S ....

C4S versus SPASM versus PDCC.

What would you choose?
I'd go with SPASM only because I prefer RWD over AWD (throwing out the C4S option), and I haven't driven a car with PDCC only (only driven SPASM+PDCC). To me, SPASM is the most cost-effective choice that you can clearly see and feel.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:06 AM
If I was in the market for a coupe I'd go SPASM. As I bought a cab I got PDCC. No real interest in AWD, so that's the order of preference for me.