Bent Wheel Can It Be Repaired?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM
msgm1 is on a distinguished road
Bent Wheel Can It Be Repaired?

I recently hit a pothole and had to have the tire replaced, but it looks like I also slightly bent the wheel, it holds air, but I notice a slight vibration when I brake.

I had the dealer check it and he said there is a slight ben on the inside of the rim.

Can it be repaired or do I need to buy a new wheel?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
For peace of mind I would buy a new wheel!

Just my opinion.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty sure it can be repaired, ask around. There are many wheel repair shops. But, if you are going to track, I'd get a new wheel.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
Msgm1 depending upon where you live in NY and the amount of damage, there are a couple of places on LI. I used one for my wife's A5. Came out great. No problems what so ever. PM me if you want the name.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I would really consider getting a new rim ... when I had 2015 BMW 550 I had all 4 rims redone twice to get rid of vibrations and it didn't work for me.

It might be that the BMW wheels are known for bending and causing vibrations so you might have different results with a Porsche wheel ... if the cost is reasonable maybe try getting it repaired first to see if it works.

Last edited by af330i; 09-23-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Originally Posted by stealthboy
For peace of mind I would buy a new wheel!

Just my opinion.
What he said, I would only use it as a doughnut.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Take it to a wheel repair specialty shop. They can tell you if it's repairable. Lots of cars out there with repaired wheels. I was at Daytona this weekend and met 3 different owners with repaired wheels. One of them won class

Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
A slightly out of round wheel can easily be brought back to true by a competent tech. If you're a member of the PCA, ask some of the local club guys. Or, ask your Porsche dealer. I'm sure they would be willing to get it done for you, or give you a referral.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by msgm1
I recently hit a pothole and had to have the tire replaced, but it looks like I also slightly bent the wheel, it holds air, but I notice a slight vibration when I brake.

I had the dealer check it and he said there is a slight ben on the inside of the rim.

Can it be repaired or do I need to buy a new wheel?
Not according to Porsche:

· Straightening and welding work on light alloy wheels is not permissible!
Maximum permissible radial runout and lateral runout of the light alloy wheels = 0.7 mm.
Maximum permissible radial runout and lateral runout of the wheel with tyre = 1.25 mm. Values less than 1.0
mm  better around 0.5 mm  are desirable. For this purpose, match the tyre (turn the tyre on the rim) if
necessary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.