Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 misfiring

Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM
murox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura about
Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 misfiring

Yesterday I took my 991.1 out because it was a nice day and around midday (after driving the car for 15+ miles), I got into my car to leave an appointment and the car died at a stop light. I restarted it and it was idling very lumpy and the "fault engine control, possible to drive on" yellow warning light came on. I limped it home (it felt like it was running on 3-4 cylinders) and used my friend's OBD2 to see what codes were thrown.

It came back with the following codes:

- 0300 (random misfire detected)
- 0304 (cylinder 4 misfire detected)
- 0305 (cylinder 5 misfire detected)
- 0306 (cylinder 6 misfire detected)

I reset the codes and took it out and it ran normally yesterday evening. This morning I drove it again and it drove normally. But then around 11:00 am I started it and it was idling rough again. I shut it down and waited a few minutes and started it again, and it was fine. I just drove it home and put it in the garage.

My warranty just expired (of course), and my nearest Porsche dealership is 120 miles away. Porsche pulled my local dealership a few years ago, and one of the Porsche techs who worked there now works at a local import service shop, but he has limited experience with 991s. They also charge nearly as much per hour ($120) as the dealerships.

Looking for some advice. I have next to zero technical knowledge of cars, so I'm kinda flying blind here. From my limited research, I'm finding since its an entire bank of cylinders, it could be the coils or possibly plug wires?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably one coil per plug - sounds like a fuel rail or something to me, maybe a clogged filter.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Each spark plug has its own ignition coil, so I would doubt that it's coil-related for three to go out at once.

EDIT: Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 are on the passenger side of the car.

Last edited by stealthboy; 07-25-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 AM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Had a similar situation w/cylinders 5&6 without the stumble. Dealer stated both cylinders misfired, but cleared itself. Happened again a week later, but again cleared itself. A year later, same thing. (3000 miles). Dealer was told to reprogram all the computers by Germany. Had the car 9 days but resolved the problem.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Pretty safe to rule out ignition coils or spark plugs since three cylinders misfired. Sounds like a sensor or corrupt ECU. How many miles on the engine? PDK or Manual? Was the engine overre'd recently (last few months)?

Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM
murox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Pretty safe to rule out ignition coils or spark plugs since three cylinders misfired. Sounds like a sensor or corrupt ECU. How many miles on the engine? PDK or Manual? Was the engine overre'd recently (last few months)?

PDK, 13,000 miles, not overrevved recently.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:47 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Do let us know when this has been straightened out. Doubtful that its anything serious given the mileage, no recent over rev's and engine series. Now, if this was 2014 GT3 that would be a different story!

Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Have you checked your 02 sensors. Sounds to me like a sensor or loose wire.

ChuckJ

Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 PM
I spoke to a service advisor at my nearest Porsche dealer today and gave him all of the information I had. He said the first thing they would do is change the plugs and ignition coils. So I ordered plugs and ignition coils from Suncoast today, and I'm going to have a local shop perform the labor.

Is this a difficult task, or should installing plugs and coils be pretty straightforward for a mechanic who doesn't work on very many 991s?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Simple and straightforward

Old 08-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Be sure that the technician has a 12 point 14mm deep spark plug socket with a magnetic insert to keep the plug in the socket when removing and installing. Torque the plugs between 14-19 lbs. Heat shield on each side have to be first be removed. No need to remove wheels but it does make the forward plugs more accessible.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 08-02-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by murox
I spoke to a service advisor at my nearest Porsche dealer today and gave him all of the information I had. He said the first thing they would do is change the plugs and ignition coils. So I ordered plugs and ignition coils from Suncoast today, and I'm going to have a local shop perform the labor.

Is this a difficult task, or should installing plugs and coils be pretty straightforward for a mechanic who doesn't work on very many 991s?
Think ur barking up the wrong tree. As I said before, took a total reload of the software to resolve the same issue. Have ur dealer look it up on the Porsche factory forum. Leith Porsche.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by does195
Think ur barking up the wrong tree. As I said before, took a total reload of the software to resolve the same issue. Have ur dealer look it up on the Porsche factory forum. Leith Porsche.

Good luck.
I tend to agree, but the car is 4 years old, so nothing wrong with changing the plugs and coils as a first step to rule out the obvious.

Since my warranty has expired, anyone have an idea what a total reload of the software would cost? This ordeal is making me nervous.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Replaced spark plugs and ignition coils today, and just as most of us figured, it didn't resolve the problem. Still misfiring on cylinders 4, 5 and 6. Indy tech thinks we should start replacing O2 sensors. Called to order 02 sensors and I'm speaking to the rep, told him my issue, and he insists that will not resolve my problem. Suggests it could be camshaft sensor. I'm thinking maybe the high pressure fuel pump?

Who knows . . . I'm getting frustrated. I'm almost to the point of sucking it up and having it towed 130 miles to nearest Porsche dealer.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 AM
ammar.malik is on a distinguished road
What fixed it, what did P dealer say?

I am having the same symptoms, I.e. CEL saying “ fault engine control, possible to drive on” in yellow. Almost died a few times from ideling when on a stop light.

Here is what I know. I don’t drive it much as I am not around at all. My gas was 1/4 left so I decided to go to chevron and fill her up after not driving her for 7 weeks or so. I know my battery has been weak for months as I hardly drive it, can’t trickle charge due to condo garage. I have radar always connected but it always goes off. I have seen some kind of error when my battery has been low and gave me an effor about “ battery socket” I had my spark plugs. Filter, something else that they needed. The dealer had my bumper off only in April and since then the car has had maybe 100 miles. What solved it for you? La new battery, plugs, coils, reset the obii, or?

Thanks.

so what did the dealer say and what will if take to fix it?

Last edited by ammar.malik; 10-22-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 misfiring