Another tire thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Another tire thread

Hello group
On a recent autocross event I had one more taste of how bad the P0 is, zero might me it’s worth... the PS4 is better as A general opinion, but tracking the car with at least monthly frequency, it begs the question: has anyone used the Cup tires as daily drivers during warm months? Chicagoland in my case. My main obvious concern is wet/rainy conditions. The P0 already is ludicrously bad wet behavior, particularly the front. In November I flip to Alpins anyway.

I think the car has so much more to give and those Pirellis really don’t deliver. I guess Porsche worked so hard all the past decades to improve the rear traction and they really forgot to work the front with those moronic tires. I’d like to use cup rather than PS4 because of wheel/tire warranty, which allegedly only covers OEM approved tires, as the stealership would be acting as my agent with the insurance company. I know that depending on the SA that’s not a problem, but the stealership That I take the car to don’t have friendly SAs anymore

BTW, PS4 review copied from tire rack (not the only one like this):

“This tire is completely unsuited for track use. I am exploring other tires for use on my 2014 Corvette Z51. I have had the OEM Michelins, which do hold up to track use, Toyo Proxes R888, Bridgestone Potenza RE760, Yokohama S-Drive, and Pirelli Pzeros. This tire has been the worst. If you intend on taking your car to the track, DO NOT purchase this tire. The outer tread band will delaminate and leave the tire. This happened to my fronts, and started to happen on the rear. This happened after roughly 250 minutes on track, with 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. All the previously mentioned tires were able to dissipate this heat. Alignment is the GM factory race alignment, roughly -2 degrees camber front and rear. Hot pressures were kept to not exceed 33 PSI. I have pictures if anyone wants them.”

Last edited by John McLane; 07-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
While driving home yesterday on a inner-loop at 75 mph, I came across a moderately hard rain shower. My Cup 2s stayed sure footed and I didn't slow down a bit. I was also in a construction zone with a temp concrete wall just a few feet to my left. Never once was concerned. Although was quite happy I exited the shower after 2 miles to a perfectly dry stretch of road. As long as there's decent tread depth on the Cup 2, I wouldn't worry about the wet. And a day earlier on lightly wet roads, I was cautious but still carrying good corner speeds through turns, etc. If I lived somewhere that rained far more than San Antonio, that might make me rethink it. But thus far I'm overjoyed with the grip of the Cup 2, how much tread depth I still have after 9500 miles, and that I still have confidence in the wet. What a great tire! The worst wet experience I've had thus far was driving cross country on a fairly used set of PS2s in my '08 997S. Scary!!!

Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steve997S
While driving home yesterday on a inner-loop at 75 mph, I came across a moderately hard rain shower. My Cup 2s stayed sure footed and I didn't slow down a bit. I was also in a construction zone with a temp concrete wall just a few feet to my left. Never once was concerned. Although was quite happy I exited the shower after 2 miles to a perfectly dry stretch of road. As long as there's decent tread depth on the Cup 2, I wouldn't worry about the wet. And a day earlier on lightly wet roads, I was cautious but still carrying good corner speeds through turns, etc. If I lived somewhere that rained far more than San Antonio, that might make me rethink it. But thus far I'm overjoyed with the grip of the Cup 2, how much tread depth I still have after 9500 miles, and that I still have confidence in the wet. What a great tire! The worst wet experience I've had thus far was driving cross country on a fairly used set of PS2s in my '08 997S. Scary!!!
I can second that. My 987s with half life PSS was not drivable in the rain at all.
The way it stands as far as I can tell:
PSS- ok dry, ok track, not so good rain
Ps4s- good dry, good rain, not for track
Cup- excellent dry/track, ok rain

Mileage and costs are well known. The PS4S is sad on track days, such a pity...

Seems the cup tires are a not so bad idea for daily driver

Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John McLane
I can second that. My 987s with half life PSS was not drivable in the rain at all.
The way it stands as far as I can tell:
PSS- ok dry, ok track, not so good rain
Ps4s- good dry, good rain, not for track
Cup- excellent dry/track, ok rain

Mileage and costs are well known. The PS4S is sad on track days, such a pity...

Seems the cup tires are a not so bad idea for daily driver
My experience with 3 sets of PS2 and 2 sets of PSS is that grip falls off dramatically with 1/3+ tire life remaining. Never thought they were good in the rain except maybe when new. Comparatively, I prefer the Eagle F1 and PZero to both the PS2 and PSS, especially in the wet and for rim protection. I can only hope the P4S is an improvement over the much overrated PSS, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance as if it follows with a performance drop off after mid life similar to its predecessors, I would be pissed. So far no such performance drop with the Cup 2, and the dry grip of the Cup 2 is night and day better than the PS2/PSS.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:51 PM
I’m going to take my chances with the cup tires but for next spring, as the OEM P0s should last 2 tracks before the awesome Alpins come in in late November

Costco tires probably have them.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 PM
I had the Michelin Pilot Alpin mounted on my winter wheels when I lived in Germany. Great tire for cold, cold/wet. One of the only winter tires I was comfortable enough with to drive at sustained triple digit speeds wet or dry (in winter). There is no such thing as an all-season tire in Germany, so it's ideal to have the best summer set and best winter set you can mount. Why not? Even a Porsche wouldn't be fun if you don't have the confidence you need to make it do what it's meant to.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 PM
For the first time, this morning, drove 20+ miles in a hellacious downpour. I drove at 45 to 50 on the city's inner loop which I drive daily, and as long as I didn't hit deep standing water, the tires never lost contact. I was in fact keeping a gap to all those behind me across 3 lanes, without attempting to. I never felt as if the Cup 2s were out of their element. Call me pleasantly surprised. I think it's easy to get into one's head that such a grippy tire has to have faults. What I'm confused more so about is the huge fan base of the PSS seems to not want to spread love to the Cup 2. Very odd, but then again I'm in minority of those who think the PSS is crap.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I had the Michelin Pilot Alpin mounted on my winter wheels when I lived in Germany. Great tire for cold, cold/wet. One of the only winter tires I was comfortable enough with to drive at sustained triple digit speeds wet or dry (in winter). There is no such thing as an all-season tire in Germany, so it's ideal to have the best summer set and best winter set you can mount. Why not? Even a Porsche wouldn't be fun if you don't have the confidence you need to make it do what it's meant to.
They’re awesome tires, possibly better than the P0s.
I drive all the winter in Chicago with them, wo an issue. Of course you have to adapt your driving to the conditions at hand

Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM
For the first time, this morning, drove 20+ miles in a hellacious downpour. I drove at 45 to 50 on the city's inner loop which I drive daily, and as long as I didn't hit deep standing water, the tires never lost contact. I was in fact keeping a gap to all those behind me across 3 lanes, without attempting to. I never felt as if the Cup 2s were out of their element. Call me pleasantly surprised. I think it's easy to get into one's head that such a grippy tire has to have faults. What I'm confused more so about is the huge fan base of the PSS seems to not want to spread love to the Cup 2. Very odd, but then again I'm in minority of those who think the PSS is crap.
I agree with you regarding the PSS. Online my local Costco dont have the cup. I’ll call as they may order them. If not, I’ll swap next spring when the Alpins return to storage

Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Feh
Feh is an unknown quantity at this point
Speaking of the PZeros, I was at a DE last week when it rained during one of my sessions. I kept going as I thought this would be an excellent experience. The PZeros were pretty damn good in the rain. Braking was very good and coming out of the turns made me feel confident about them. If that's how they behave at speeds in the rain, I can vouch for them.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Feh
Speaking of the PZeros, I was at a DE last week when it rained during one of my sessions. I kept going as I thought this would be an excellent experience. The PZeros were pretty damn good in the rain. Braking was very good and coming out of the turns made me feel confident about them. If that's how they behave at speeds in the rain, I can vouch for them.
P zero has issues with rain on street use, perhaps related to temperature, which is a different issue on a track.

The P0 needs a lot of pressure out if you start abusing the tire shoulders. It gets gummy quite quickly and builds up temperature fast as well. It can become an unpredictable tire later is a track day. Riding on PSM sport makes it even more evident.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
A friend just took her dads 04 911 out of storage, tires have 2k miles on them, but they are 10 years old?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by eldertec
A friend just took her dads 04 911 out of storage, tires have 2k miles on them, but they are 10 years old?
No manufacturer would recommend using those tires. Check for sidewall cracks.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eldertec
Ask Matt Farrah about using old tires. He had an issue with the tires becoming too hard and having no traction.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Watching the Belgium F1 qualifying this morning, I saw a track side ad referencing Pirelli color edition tires. What???

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...-color-edition

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.