Thoughts on buying a GTS with an "accident report"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Cwolf is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on buying a GTS with an "accident report"

Local (big city) Porsche dealer has a 2015 GTS coming in. Carfax says it had an accident. I called the dealer and the car is not yet on onsite but they said the accident was "minor". So I don't have details. I told them any accident report means the car is not valued at full market price.

Anyone here ever buy a used 911 with an accident report on the carfax?

I assume all who did that the accident was cosmetic. Appreciate any thoughts on buying one in that context? Thanks.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Why when there are so many without accidents? Plus, you might have a hard time selling/trading. Which dealer, Cary?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Why when there are so many without accidents? Plus, you might have a hard time selling/trading. Which dealer, Cary?
Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. Actually, nevermind. Just looked closer at the listing (no pics) and it is a convertible which I don't want.

Just to illustrate how few 2015 manual coupes there are, there are TWO in a nationwide search on autotrader and both are white. I don't want white, yellow, or lava orange.

There is basically zero inventory out there right now.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cwolf
Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. Actually, nevermind. Just looked closer at the listing (no pics) and it is a convertible which I don't want.

Just to illustrate how few 2015 manual coupes there are, there are TWO in a nationwide search on autotrader and both are white. I don't want white, yellow, or lava orange.

There is basically zero inventory out there right now.
Hendrick is my local dealer. I'm from there and have been going to that dealer since the 70s. Although it's moved a few times but always on Independence Blvd. Their prices aren't the best. Hickory (Paramount) Porsche is the best in the state, and they get in some real gems time to time. Keep looking. What you want will pop up time to time. Have you used the Porsche locator on the Porsche website? Personally PDCC is a must and ceramic brakes would be highly desired. PDK is fun but it makes you lazy. I bet I would never find my ideal. Was all wheel steering on the '15? That would be a must too.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-07-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Hendrick is my local dealer. I'm from there and have been going to that dealer since the 70s. Although it's moved a few times but always on Independence Blvd. Their prices aren't the best. Hickory (Paramount) Porsche is the best in the state, and they get in some real gems time to time. Keep looking. What you want will pop up time to time. Have you used the Porsche locator on the Porsche website? Personally PDCC is a must and ceramic brakes would be highly desired. PDK is fun but it makes you lazy. I bet I would never find my ideal. Was all wheel steering on the '15? That would be a must too.
I'll check out Hickory Porsche. I won't track the car, so no need for ceramics. I have used the Porsche locator and am going to look again now. Ideally would like to find something within a 150 mile radius (i.e...NC or VA). Not in a hurry luckily. Have a 2010 Carrera now. Looking to upgrade.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Actually the inventory isn't all that high even if you include PDK on the 2015-2016 models.

One note on white to consider, and I'm not sure if it matters to you- the car looks great with black accents, I never thought I'd get a white one. But it works! And gets a lot of "positive attention", for sure.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
deduct at least 10%

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
be loose is an unknown quantity at this point
If the damage was not on the frame, who cares about a new door and some panels?

Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by be loose
If the damage was not on the frame, who cares about a new door and some panels?
The next buyer

Old 09-14-2017, 02:00 PM
be loose is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
The next buyer
Obviously ... yet it's irrational

Porsche door skins and quarter panels installed locally are no different than the same parts installed in Germany.

If we want to live in a better world, question irrational people I say.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM
There are 27 GTS coupes ('15 and '16) on the Porsche locator. 11 are manual gearboxes. That is decent inventory. I've purchased 4 Porsches that were over 1,000 miles away from where I lived. All were great purchase experiences. We live in a time where you can easily find what you're looking for.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Ryane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura about
accident report 🤕

For most the car is a side piece or a toy. A bad car fax on one of these seriously tanks the trade in or resale value. I work for at a luxury brand dealership and appraise cars. A bad car fax will seriously taint the value of a upper end car. Even your basic luxury car it hurts a good amount but nothing like a high end. Dealers know this and will tend to either appraise substantially less or so low you'll just immedialetly want your keys back because your insulted. Think about this from the dealers perspective for a second. It's not a high volume car to begin with, color plays a part in valuing a car (may want to consider a white) and 75% of people will eliminate a car with a bad carfax without even knowing the facts. Also, no matter how many facts we know about a car with a bad carfax small or big were a dealership and are burdened by the stigmata we are all liars and cheats. Lol. Just hang in there you'll find the right one. It took me 4 months to find mine and I couldn't be happy with it.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the posts. Just to clarify, I mentioned early in the thread that it is a convertible so it's not longer being considered.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cwolf
Thanks for all the posts. Just to clarify, I mentioned early in the thread that it is a convertible so it's not longer being considered.
Have you ever tried stopping a boulder from rolling downhill...while standing mid-way down that hill? I think anyone familiar with your posts has a fairly good idea regarding the particulars of your search. You raised a topic worthy of some discussion. That's all. Despite the fact this GTS is a convertible, I think you're receiving some very worthwhile information. Enjoy.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
When I was in the market, I wanted a coupe PDK and there were a few nationwide.

HOWEVER, I also wanted leather with ventilated seats. THAT was hard to find.

Originally Posted by be loose
Obviously ... yet it's irrational

Porsche door skins and quarter panels installed locally are no different than the same parts installed in Germany.

If we want to live in a better world, question irrational people I say.
No, but the paint isn't the same, and won't be the same thickness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.