Text messages on PCM using iOS/Iphone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 02:34 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Text messages on PCM using iOS/Iphone

For the first year or so after getting my '14 C2S, while using my bluetooth linked iPhone I would get incoming SMS notifications on the PCM display (as well as being able to view the texts). I think back in 2014 or so I had an iPhone 5 and then a 5S. Currently I have an iPhone 7+..

At some point a couple years ago the SMS notifications quit working. My recollection was it first occurred after an iOS upgrade on my 5 or probably 5S. It has never worked subsequently on any iPhones or iOS versions. Everything else works just fine (handsfree, music playback, contact directory) with respect to blutooth and when plugged in via USB. It is Just the SMS notification and display that doesn't work.

I do all my own service, so I hadn't had any PCM firmware updates until recently when I was in for warranty work. I had been assuming the reason I wasn't getting PCM SMS notifications was due the out of date PCM firmware.

Unfortunately SMS notifications still don't work on the PCM. I've deleted the profiles, tried relinking etc. Still doesn't work.

Does anyone else have issues with SMS with iOS?

And no, I don't use AHA which I consider a major kludge.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Have you gone into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and verified that this option is checked? It can be found by selecting your PCM connection under Bluetooth settings. I noticed that mine needed to be reactivated after upgrading to iOS 11.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
What is the setting that we should see after selecting the PCM connection in the bluetooth settings? Thank you

Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Have you gone into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and verified that this option is checked? It can be found by selecting your PCM connection under Bluetooth settings. I noticed that mine needed to be reactivated after upgrading to iOS 11.
I've endlessly diddled with this settings with no luck. Deleting profiles and then re-adding. I got the PCM upgraded before upgrading to iOS 11 (was on iOS 10.something) and haven't done anything with iOS 11 yet.

From what you are saying it seems to work for you so I guess it is another try once again. So I suppose it is possible for it to work. To be honest I never really read the texts on the PCM as it is too cumbersome, but I liked the notifications.

Last edited by scatkins; 10-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:02 AM
I guess my question would be are you talking about just normal hands-free ? That works just fine. Its messaging that doesn't work anymore.

This morning:

1) Deleted PCM blutooth profile from phone,
2) Deleted iphone 7 from PCM...
3) re-found iphone on PCM.
4) checked new iphone blutooth profile on iPhone.. turned everything on including notifications (which I think is notifications on iPhone).
5) On PCM itself checked everything related.

I'm pretty convinced messages don't work anymore on PCM3.1.. The phone links fine for audio and phone functions.

Oh well. yet another thing that is half *** on a 911

Old 10-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
No, I was talking about text messaging. Like you, mine was working fine for a long time. When the iOS 11 update came out, it stopped working. I had to reactivate it on the iPhone. I followed this pathway:

Settings > Bluetooth > PCM > Show Notifications

After the update, the Show Notifications option was not selected. The Show Notifications and the Sync Contacts options are now selected on my phone, and everything works again.

Sorry it's not working for you.

Interestingly, I gained this functionality in my GMC Sierra 1500 truck, and I didn't have it before the iOS update. It still doesn't work on my wife's Audi SQ5.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I too have been wondering this! I have a 2015 GTS with an iPhone 7 and text messaging has never worked. I am going to try this!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:13 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I just checked it- my "show notifications" option was not selected...can't wait to try it today and see if it works. It's running on iOS 10.xx or whatever.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 AM
It’s nice to have. You can’t respond to text messages through the PCM, but you can read them or have them read to you. I have the same functionality in my truck. It won’t allow me to respond with one of the preset responses - I think this is an iPhone thing.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Reporting back- works now!! Thanks Dennis-

Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Mine still doesn't work.. Tried all of those things, notifications etc.

I'm on iOS11 now, but didn't work under ioS10 either. And it stopped working on iOS versions long before that on my iPhone 6..

I did some experimenting thinking maybe it was carrier related or maybe differences with iMessage vs true SMS messages.. Didn't make any difference.

Oh well probably a lot more effort that the value of feature. I kinda liked the notification on the PCM.. but not the end of the world. .

Too bad that the PCM implementation is so mickey mouse.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Too bad that it doesn’t work for you.

Out of curiosity - do you ever use a SIM card with your PCM system in addition to your Bluetooth connection? I’ve read that using both will cause conflicts that limit PCM functionality.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by chance6
Reporting back- works now!! Thanks Dennis-
Great news!

Old 11-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Too bad that it doesn’t work for you.

Out of curiosity - do you ever use a SIM card with your PCM system in addition to your Bluetooth connection? I’ve read that using both will cause conflicts that limit PCM functionality.
No, I think that was an option... which essentially was a phone module.. but no I didn’t have that...

Oh well..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
No, I was talking about text messaging. Like you, mine was working fine for a long time. When the iOS 11 update came out, it stopped working. I had to reactivate it on the iPhone. I followed this pathway:

Settings > Bluetooth > PCM > Show Notifications

After the update, the Show Notifications option was not selected. The Show Notifications and the Sync Contacts options are now selected on my phone, and everything works again.

Sorry it's not working for you.

Interestingly, I gained this functionality in my GMC Sierra 1500 truck, and I didn't have it before the iOS update. It still doesn't work on my wife's Audi SQ5.
Thanks Dennis what a great tip!

and Scatkins for bringing it up...!

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 11-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.