Tire talk - P zero vs Pilot SS vs Nitto etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM
cclcal is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire talk - P zero vs Pilot SS vs Nitto etc

Ive read many posts concerning the next tire one should get.

Seems many swich from the P zeros to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Im not planning on bringing car to track anytime but do enjoy spirited driving. Im looking for less road noise, longer lasting tread wear, but still excellent grip, inc ride comfort....all the good stuff.

Any input on the other tires out there?

Conti Extreme Contact Sport
Bridgestone Potenza S-04
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

then of course you have the Falken Azenis and Kuhmo Ecsta PS91 and NItto Motivo

Costco wont install any tire unless it's N-spec. Tirerack/Discount tire says no problem w using non N-spec tires.

I also noted some folks going to 305 in the rear. That should fit my car right? ('13 S)

thanks!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 PM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
My '18 GTS came with Michelins. They are N0. Last I looked they were backordered everywhere!! OBTW, I believe 305/30/20 will fit on 991.1 "S".

Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I replaced my rears last year on my 2012 base 991 with the 305's. They look good and fit fine. This year I had to replace my fronts. I have Th P zero's only because it was easy and were replaced a year apart and I didn't want to mix the different tires.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:03 AM
thanks!

i may look into the 305s

not too many choices so itll be fairly easy to choose

Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I have the Michelin Pilot SS on my '10 4S. I have the Michelin Pilot 4S (relatively new tire) on my '16 Audi S3. I love the 4S on the Audi. Handles very well and is a very quiet riding tire. Now I only have about 3K miles them, so they may get a bit louder with wear, but so far, from my ear, they are a big improvement over the SS.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 AM
ryandarr1979 is on a distinguished road
My 2018 Carrera 4S came with MP4S. Now that they are actually less money than MPSS, and only a small premium over P-Zeros, I’ll probably stick with Michelins going forward.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:23 PM
RON1X will become famous soon enoughRON1X will become famous soon enough
I've used 305s on the rears on my older 997.2 and 991.1 (narrow body). I believe I had 315s on my 997.1 wide body. Highly recommend, they look much beefier.

I was one of the first people in the Nashville area to find a set of the Michelin 4S tires back in April of 2017 when they first came out (they had to source them direct from Michelin). They are unbelievable tires! I was able to take them to a PCA DE/ Track event at Barber Motorsports Park for a weekend when I couldn't find new wheels for my Hoosier slicks. The Michelin 4S performed extremely well on the track, and are very quiet and comfortable on highway as well. I am likely bias, as I love Michelin, but the OE Pirellis on my 991.1 were disappointing. The 991 gained a lot more grip after switching to the 4S. All and all, I highly recommend the 4S tires... (if you can't tell haha)

Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM
jeff3545 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have MPSS on my AMG and love them. Quiet with good sidewall stiffness and amazing grip in a range of conditions. Track or no track, these are great tires. I have Falken Azenis on my Cobra and like them but will caution that they are borderline dangerous until they warm up. That car is a roadster with sidepipes so I can’t say much about the road noise, but I can say that perform well on the track as long as you take a few laps to get them good and grippy. I’d go with Nitto or something else on that car if I could get an 18” tire in a 315/40 series, but Falken is pretty much the only tire I have found with that specific size.

My GTS came with P-Zeros and I’m not impressed. Will switch to Michelins when the time comes.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by jeff3545
I have MPSS on my AMG and love them. Quiet with good sidewall stiffness and amazing grip in a range of conditions. Track or no track, these are great tires. I have Falken Azenis on my Cobra and like them but will caution that they are borderline dangerous until they warm up. That car is a roadster with sidepipes so I can’t say much about the road noise, but I can say that perform well on the track as long as you take a few laps to get them good and grippy. I’d go with Nitto or something else on that car if I could get an 18” tire in a 315/40 series, but Falken is pretty much the only tire I have found with that specific size.

My GTS came with P-Zeros and I’m not impressed. Will switch to Michelins when the time comes.
great thanks.

looks like everyone likes the Michelins 4S or SS

Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM
fanboy is on a distinguished road
I had MPSSs on my Shelby and they were the best riding performance tire I've ever had. They were taller than the Nitto Invos I replaced so I had a bit of bottoming out. Most likely I'll go to the MPSSs on the 911 once the factory PZeros are ready to replace.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:06 PM
cassius is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for this info - looking for a new set of tires for my '12 991. Looks like the Michelin PS4S will be the way to go for me. Any advice on where to get them mounted? Does Discount Tire do a reasonable job with TPMS etc on the Porsche? (I'm a new owner). Thanks!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:11 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Cool driving style!

Originally Posted by cassius
Thanks for this info - looking for a new set of tires for my '12 991. Looks like the Michelin PS4S will be the way to go for me. Any advice on where to get them mounted? Does Discount Tire do a reasonable job with TPMS etc on the Porsche? (I'm a new owner). Thanks!
I'm three counties east of Cary and I drive Bridgestone poll (cause they when driven hard change the polls: lol) Position (aka Pole) however they do for my style. I've ridden on Hankook, Michelin, and Pirelli drive Bridgestone they lessen the body roll in the curves. just my .02.