Intermittent Overheating on 911S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Toplessgoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Intermittent Overheating on 911S

Hi all,
I've got a 2013 911S, and last week while stuck in heavy stop and go traffic(mostly stopped), the air conditioner stopped cooling and then temp started to rise.

The temps rose to about 240, and then when we started moving they dropped quickly to normal. We then got stuck in stop and go, but not as bad as before, but this time, the temp was just about to reach 250 when I reached destination. The car has always operated under 200 when nothing is wrong, and I live in an area where it can get to 110.

I've had issues in past with pebbles blocking fan, this is not the case. I took to my mechanic and there were no error codes, and he could not get this to happen again.

Has anyone had such experience?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Have you checked your battery recently. If original, may be time to get new battery.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Toplessgoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Have you checked your battery recently. If original, may be time to get new battery.
Battery was replaced about 2 months ago.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Toplessgoat
Hi all,
I've got a 2013 911S, and last week while stuck in heavy stop and go traffic(mostly stopped), the air conditioner stopped cooling and then temp started to rise.

The temps rose to about 240, and then when we started moving they dropped quickly to normal. We then got stuck in stop and go, but not as bad as before, but this time, the temp was just about to reach 250 when I reached destination. The car has always operated under 200 when nothing is wrong, and I live in an area where it can get to 110.

I've had issues in past with pebbles blocking fan, this is not the case. I took to my mechanic and there were no error codes, and he could not get this to happen again.

Has anyone had such experience?

Yes, I have had the same on my 2014 991.1 C4S after about 4 years and 17K miles ....one day in stop and go traffic the car said - engine overheating and need to stop immediately to cool down
luckily I was near a parking lot so parked the car and waited for 30 mins for the car to cool down - after 30 mins, the temperature cooled down and I drove for 4 hours straight to my destination without another message

I didnt want to deal with this issue so I traded in the car shortly after that so dont really know the reason why it happened....but I can confirm that this started happening after a fresh oil change and it started with the AC first throwing in warm air .....

Old 08-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
sold the car for that! most likely just a COV that is covered by the warranty. ‘13/14’s had a bad batch of COV the are easily replaced. ( There is a bank of them in the back).

Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
Any time the WATER temp goes higher than 194 F, you have a problem. Under the right conditions, the OIL temp might go elevated to that level without being an issue. Be sure you're reading the right gauge.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:22 PM
titleistaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
So strange, never had it happen to me but good to know about the COV for the future.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:29 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dbh
Any time the WATER temp goes higher than 194 F, you have a problem. Under the right conditions, the OIL temp might go elevated to that level without being an issue. Be sure you're reading the right gauge.

the temperature always rises above 194F...Porsche modified the ability of the gauges to report temperatures higher than that early in the 991 model production. When the car was delivered to me in 2012 the gauge regularly read higher than 194. After an update, it reported temps no greater than 194. I suspect that they "idiot lighted" the gauge to avoid reports that "my car is at 230F and will blow up"...even though temps higher than 212 are just fine under pressure.