993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

advise on buying 993TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 PM
sanjay666 is infamous around these parts
Smile advise on buying 993TT

Hi Everyone

Just found this forum and spent a while reading. Need some advise as thinking about buying a 993tt, have wanted one for years. I am not new to 993's I still have a 993C4 Cab 1995 (manual) which I bought in 2004 and used as a daily commuter car in London until 2 weeks ago when I bought a BMW 330d convertible as a daily driver (yes i know ... ).

So now want to sell the 993 and upgrade to a 993tt as second car..weekends only deal.

The 993 was not cheap to run, I changed the clutch, brake disks (twice), exhaust mounts, gearbox rebuild, suspension during the last 5 years (approx 30k miles). Although it was great fun to drive.

I was wondering what I should look out for when looking at 993tt, and what would be a resonable amount to pay? Yes I know the age old question.

Also most people say 993 should be driven, thus I guess a low milage one is less important?

I have seen a couple on www.911virgin.com

Any buying advise greatly appreciated

Sanjay

Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
TT/T is infamous around these parts
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM
dmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura about
Low mileage is always good and bad. As you are aware the cars that have sat a lot will need as much or more tending to than ones with some miles that have been well kept.

With any 911 I would try to avoid cars that have been hit in the rear. It can be tough to get the frame stubs properly pulled back out.

I don't know anything about how many were imported into your part of the world but they are in general plentiful enough that you can be picky. I would always hire an independent party to do a pre purchase inspection.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Itzjstacar is infamous around these parts
993tt buying advice

Dear Sanjay,

I have seen a lot of 993 tt change hands and most are very nice. the exceptional ones are usually under 35k miles and have little or no mods. They most certainly have had a few sets of tires if well cared for. Most certainly have had good service history, but not over serviced. Once a year for Mobil One oil changes. At least one major service plugs, A/C recharged with R134-a and A/C blower resistor changed, as well as oil cooler blower resistor. Most have had some suspension work, but if nothing yet, note front and rear struts/shocks for worn Monroe red M030. they had a tendency to leak over time. The belts should be changed as it also requires updated billet pulley halves. Make sure the exhaust is not excessively smokey, and if you can be present for the PPI make sure the oil filter is Genuine OEM Porsche long and short filters, very important. the filters hold an important check valve and if not replaced OEM can make the Turbo's smoke.
Other than normal wear and tear items, buy the best example of the most original form (as delivered),with the lowest mileage, verify w/ a Carfax if avail. As these cars are now 13 years old they are heading towards collector land, and the lower mileage the better the value in resale.
As these car's across the pond are identical, meaning the ROW cars are just like US cars, they should be similar over there for wear.
Oh yea, the rear wing plastic grille should be warping slightly, and the rest of the exterior should hold up well.
Good hunting,
I.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
dmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura about
I guess the only other thing I know of is that there is a fan that lives very deep inside the center console. It tends to keep running and wear out batteries on some of these. It is cheaper and easier to keep the car on a battery tender than it is to fix the issue. Mine is pretty high miles, so I'm not sure if this is a time from new or amount of use issue. Mine used to be my fathers so I never looked for a low mileage one.
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
WineRex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Itzjstacar
Dear Sanjay,

... requires updated billet pulley halves. Make sure the exhaust is not excessively smokey, and if you can be present for the PPI make sure the oil filter is Genuine OEM Porsche long and short filters, very important. the filters hold an important check valve and if not replaced OEM can make the Turbo's smoke.
Good hunting,
I.
Itzjstacar, That's the best 993TT buyers guide I have seen. Did you forget to mention the wiring harness recall? Be sure that has been done as well. Rex

Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Itzjstacar is infamous around these parts
Ppi

Thanks for that. I just ppi'd a 4k mile 993tt perfect, except for non original wipers and missing rubber separater between the wipers, slightly bent rear toe links from hooking with a "J" hook on a flatbed once in it's life, broken clips on undertray fasteners, busted switchblade transponder remote fobs, undercharged A/C. All normal wear things. Still had original pirrelli 96' tires and date stamped airfilter 96 as well as pollen filters, a time capsule for sure.
Fast! .08 Bar.
Thanks I.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
find a car you like and PPI it. make sure it's priced accordingly

if i were in the market i'd buy this one. without question
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-turbo-r.html

Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 AM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Itzjstacar
Thanks for that. I just ppi'd a 4k mile 993tt perfect, except for non original wipers and missing rubber separater between the wipers, slightly bent rear toe links from hooking with a "J" hook on a flatbed once in it's life, broken clips on undertray fasteners, busted switchblade transponder remote fobs, undercharged A/C. All normal wear things. Still had original pirrelli 96' tires and date stamped airfilter 96 as well as pollen filters, a time capsule for sure.
Fast! .08 Bar.
Thanks I.
That is my car and thanks for working on it. After it left your shop I added a set of RUF silver wheels and other than that I am leaving the car stock. Cant wait to put some miles on it. It is as close to a new example as I have seen in a while