993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

S body conversion...how does it affect resale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 AM
tdubs can only hope to improve
S body conversion...how does it affect resale?

Guys,

New to the board and looking at purchasing my first Porsche. I have found a 95 993 that has had an extensive conversion to an S. The car has 70k miles and has been up to date on services as well as coilovers, high performance brakes recent clutch has been done. How does the conversion affect the overall resale value of the car? Obviously guys like me that want that look and the upgrades like this, but overall should I pay a premium or take money off the top of a comparable non-s? Right now I am getting the car for high 20s which is comparable to a non-s given the mileage.

Also, anyone know of a Porsche mechanic in the St. Peter, FL area that they can recommend for a PPI?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
what do you mean by extensive s conversion? splitter and tail or more? did he do the inside and is the carbon fiber on the inside oem and has it started to fade or crack? post pics of the inside and outside of the car and we'll be better able to judge and answer your question. with the ppi get a compression and leak down done. i would pay a premium for a black interior. good luck with your purchase --- a 95, 993 is a sweet car.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Extensive meaning fenders, quarrters, front splitter and tail. He didn't change the interior. The interior is 993 black leather with 8 way power heated passenger and driver seats. Aluminum pedals and gauge surrounds.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
so rear fenders with scoops and turbo brakes painted yellow but all of it narrow body correct? that thing would look odd and you would have a hard time selling it.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
no. THe entire body was changed. When I said fenders, I meant front fenders, when I said quarters, I meant rear quarter panels. Front splitter and rear fixed tail. It looks identical to a 993 s. 993 s do not have scoops.

Here are pics.

Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
simoncpj is on a distinguished road
Was the conversion done b/c PO wanted an S look, or b/c the car was wrecked? I would assume the later as a potential buyer. If not, then just an odd way to go about getting an S body.

OTOH, if you like the look and it passes a PPI, then it seems a fair deal.

I would be inclined to ask on rennli$t if anyone knows the car.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
more pics

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
The conversion was done due to the look. The prior owner to the current owner saw one at a car show(SEMA?) and did the conversion as a result. The vehicle history shows no accidents, however that will be my main focus with the PPI, underneath structural things as well as checking for chemical reaction between the paint and galvy where the body work would have been done.

My thinking is that 993 S go for 50k min and I am getting an S with the coilovers and brake upgrades for the cost of a comparable non-s car. I like the wb look over the nb look and would do the same suspension wise if I bought a nb. I wouldn't have spent the money on the conversion, but it is already done.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
yes of course. sorry i had a turbo s stuck in my mind and not a c2s.

a good looking car for sure .......... the big issue is how they widened the track and the structural integrity and longevity of it. if the ppi works out and everything is oem it's potentially worth the money. i once flew to st louise 10 yrs ago to look at a similarly widened car and the porsche mechanic that was doing the ppi told me to run, not walk away from the car.

Last edited by dfwerdoc; 01-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
If you can't reverse the mods. don't touch it. it'll not retain it's value. it'll decrease it.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 AM
bavarian06 is on a distinguished road
it will definitely depreciate the car. unless it was a factory option or factory done, most post bodywork will depreciate a true collector. i'm searching for a 993 widebody myself, but a real C2S.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 AM
trinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the rough
What is the asking price?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:41 AM
autobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura about
Depreciate the value? Maybe to 8 out of 10 guys who want a factory looking car. It's a BIG world out there. If the job was done good, I promise you that there is a guy out there who will pay for that car. Let's see... (this is too easy) you have to find someone who happens to like the Turbo S look (who doesnt?) but doesn't want to pay the money for a factory car & also wants to actually drive the car around every day (which you probably wouldn't do with a factory Turbo-S). TRUST me... you will have no problem eventually selling that car when you are done with enjoying it!
I have sold so many custom Porsches over the years (& ones that are so unique most guys who like the factory-look would tell me that I'd have a hard time selling them). NOPE. If the car is done right, looks right, runs right... you can sell it.
I sold this orange pearl car in my avatar for $37K. It was a 1984 cab. When I sold it, a stock 84 cab would sell for $15K max. (It had a stock nice running engine... and was a one owner car before me). Many many stories like that. ;o) Buy what you like... there are plenty of guys who have your taste in cars, out there in this BIG world. ;o)

Last edited by autobahn it; 04-15-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Yoshinoya will become famous soon enough
if it helps, I would love to have an S converted 993. Love the front bumper, S-lip and rockers!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
First off, the car looks gorgeous from the pics. If you're getting it to drive (vs. as an investment), it could be a highly enjoyable car....

- IF it passes the PPI with flying colors

- IF the body panels are NOT a cheap plastic that will crack/melt/crap out over the years

- IF the bodywork was truly done NOT in an attempt to cover up an accident not captured by CarFax

If you can network your way over to the owner that did the work it could be most enlightening. Also definitely check out Rennlist to see if anyone knows of the car. If Rennlisters know of it and can vouch for its history, that would mean a lot to me IMHO.

Tread carefully and only pull the trigger if the car "feels" right. And don't be shy of a classic 993 narrow body without the S bodywork because I have a friend on this forum who has one of the sexiest 993 cars alive... a RED narrow body with a tidy spoiler (cough*cactus*cough). Classic is as classic does

Last edited by TorqueChap; 04-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.