996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

how different this forum is....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
In Singapore we have access to Sepang's F1 track- a real dream for any track junkie as one gets to run on the exact same track that Alonso etc get to do their thing on. Smooth surface also means that it doesnt chew up tires that badly. And the drive up from Singapore to the track is all high speed quasi auto bahning as well where one can reach over 300kmh for periods of time in relative safety (bar the odd stray dog or monkey that has unfortunately crossed the north south highway).

And I must admit that a straight is really a piece of tarmac that links two corners, and its the corners that I love to learn to master... that is the key reason I went with a tiptronic this time around. Knowing my decidely limited driving skills and inability to take in brake points, racing lines and heel and toeing all at once, I decided to go simple and concenctrate on brake points and racing lines...

Having said all that this site is a great resource for modifying cars... the other part of what makes this hobby so much fun! We all know that drivers ed and a good set of semi slicks can beat additional horsepower, but I do love seeing how far these cars can be engineered by enthusiasts that want to go really, really fast in a straight line.

Last edited by Harold; 10-15-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
996TTSCAB is on a distinguished road
I love it here,
First of all unlike other boards it is not a ghost town, a lot of info pretty much on everything, great people going the extra mile to help you out, and you get answers fast when you need them, great job....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I'm a trackie, luv it!

And when someone says "can we go to the track" it means track, not a strip! lol
You're just scared to meet up with me at the strip Steve Comeon, halfway man, I think there's a strip in York!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor
al@cpt is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Turbohead
Boris good post.

There are a lot of us track junkies out here. We are a little quiet. As for me me I sort of read some of the threads i think are interesting but i can't get to excited about the drag racing any more... been there and done that a long time ago.

I also am not saying there is any thing wrong with it but I think alot of the people doing it have not experienced track work. The skills you learn are much more complex than a good launch and the ability to drive these cars they they went ment to be driven is very rewarding.

I have a fair amount of seat time and it never gets boring. In fact a 25min session of drivers ED drains me .Your adrenelinen is roaring the whole time and most of the time you are so focused on what is going around you .
I can't even look at my speedo!

Don't get me wrong I have " Drag raced" down the staight away .and people first ask How fast do you go? I'm not sure I always say any body can do that just plant your go foot, that part is easy in these modern powerful cars. The real skill is feeling the dynamics of braking and turning in on line while carrying momentem.You truly become connected to your machine.

I urge some of you straight liners to give it a try it . If you think you love your car now....... just wait. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on !

Just my opinion

Elliot
Well said!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This is awesome, here come the road racers out of the bushes. There are road racing posts here all the time, I post several, but it always seems like myself, Tom Kerr, Mikelly and Seschang carrying all the conversations, you guys speak up.

as a matter of fact I'm about to start a new post now, so get to posting in it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
4G64T is on a distinguished road
I haven't done any track time with the 996TT yet but have done quite a bit with my other cars. Anybody can drive a car on the road fast but it takes skill to be able to do it on the track. I find this site to be the best for the 996TT as it covers all aspects at one place.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This is awesome, here come the road racers out of the bushes. There are road racing posts here all the time, I post several, but it always seems like myself, Tom Kerr, Mikelly and Seschang carrying all the conversations, you guys speak up.

as a matter of fact I'm about to start a new post now, so get to posting in it.
Its true I am a track junkie. I have been at the track the last three weekends. Two instructing and one of full racing (total of four races).
I dont find there to be a "lack" of track info (mostly because of the above guys) but it is certainly a subculture on this forum. And thats good.
I do enjoy and learn alot from the high hp guys and drag racers. I am always looking for tips that may apply to my interests and driving style.
Even the garage queen group I try to learn detailing tips etc.

I think the hp and drag racers are to be commended for ACTUALLY TAKING THERE CAR TO ANY KIND OF PERFORMANCE EVENT.

What bugs me is the number of these cars that mundanely get driven back and forth to work daily and never have their tach read above 3k.

The guys that DONT do performance events (of any kind) are the ones I feel sorry for. They will never experience the potential of the supercar they own. they own it cause "they always wanted a turbo" period.

So bottom line point for me is to each his own but please if you have never taken your car to a High Performance Driving Event do it you will not be sorry.

As an addendem, taking your car to the track, IMHO, does little if any damage to the car. More damage is caused in normal street driving than the rubber on any decent track.
Also you ARE NOT going to ruin or precious tires or brakes by doing a driving event that is why they are high performance equipment, so no excuses!!

the pic below is of my front end after about 25 track events sans protection (no the front was not covered in blue tape)

Well, there is my two cents

Last edited by tom kerr; 10-17-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've done 10 trackdays this year in the 996TT. I'll do two to three more this year... I plan to do twice as many next year. The problem I have with some of the "other" boards is that some of the "racer elite" are rude and hammer you for having an opinion. They seem to have forgotten that they started somewhere too. I've given up complete on one site all together, asking to be removed from their site and all my posts deleted. On another, I won't bother posting anymore. The rudeness makes me wonder how these individuals have lasted as long as they have...

This site is entertaining, enjoyable, and fun. You won't get hammered for admitting that you got into a little stop light brawl (Which 99% of guys I know do, but are affraid to admit) and it's ok to run 1/4, roadrace, autoX, or just cruising. This site is the least stressful, least argumentative, and least flaming of the Porsche sites I've experienced.

Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've done 10 trackdays this year in the 996TT. I'll do two to three more this year... I plan to do twice as many next year. The problem I have with some of the "other" boards is that some of the "racer elite" are rude and hammer you for having an opinion. They seem to have forgotten that they started somewhere too. I've given up complete on one site all together, asking to be removed from their site and all my posts deleted. On another, I won't bother posting anymore. The rudeness makes me wonder how these individuals have lasted as long as they have...

This site is entertaining, enjoyable, and fun. You won't get hammered for admitting that you got into a little stop light brawl (Which 99% of guys I know do, but are affraid to admit) and it's ok to run 1/4, roadrace, autoX, or just cruising. This site is the least stressful, least argumentative, and least flaming of the Porsche sites I've experienced.

Mike
Yeah they are uptight "over there".

Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Gary R. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah they are uptight "over there".
Where is that, I want to be sure and stay away! I'm just a 996 turbo wannabe at the moment but someday..

Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Gary, I believe you know damned well what I'm talking about... Nice try.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-19-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Where is that, I want to be sure and stay away! I'm just a 996 turbo wannabe at the moment but someday..
rennlist.com roadracing section, there are some real pompass guys in there that like to jump on people for saying anything that doesnt add up to what their used to.

Then somone is garaunteed to misinterpret something you say, and then here comes the calvary like a bunch of little ants. I imagine it's cool there is a great section, but disrespecting people because they dont know the status quo is stupid.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
And Gary, being from Rennlist will now link this thread to them, or share it with his "friends" who will certainly come running over here to "have some fun!"

Maybe it would be different if I knew more of those guys in person, but I don't "appreciate" rudeness or pompus remarks from total strangers... treat me in text the way you would in person. Reality is that many have a false sense of security behind the keyboard...

Time and introductions will prove what we all know.

Mike

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
And Gary, being from Rennlist will now link this thread to them, or share it with his "friends" who will certainly come running over here to "have some fun!"

Maybe it would be different if I knew more of those guys in person, but I don't "appreciate" rudeness or pompus remarks from total strangers... treat me in text the way you would in person. Reality is that many have a false sense of security behind the keyboard...

Time and introductions will prove what we all know.

Mike
Who cares? Some people forget this is the internet, more bravery on here than will ever be seen in real life.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Gary R. is on a distinguished road
Why so hostile Mike? Golly, it didn't take long for the veiled threats to come into play did it!

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-19-2007 at 12:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how different this forum is....