996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ABS and PSM warning lights suddently came on!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
ABS and PSM warning lights suddently came on!!

While driving around in town yesterday, my ABS and PSM warning lights suddenly came on. It stayed lit for the duration of the drive but the car did not feel as if something was wrong. After I arrived at my destination I shut the engine off, waited a few seconds and started the car back up and the warning lights were off. I drove around some more for the rest of the day and the lights never came back on and the car felt normal.

Anyone know what could've caused the warning lights to come on? Should I be concerned and take it to the dealer or just forget about it? My car is stock except for Upsolute chip, Evo DVs and Techart exhaust. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:18 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
SOmetimes if all 4 wheels leave the gorund the two lights will come on

Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
A boost leak will also trigger the pair. Check all of your turbo and intercooler hoses as well as the smaller hoses leading to the DV's.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:42 AM
jro
jro is on a distinguished road
John,

Three weeks ago, I had the same situation. However, my ABS/PSM failure lights came back on. I took it to the dealer, and it turned out that one of my front wheel speed sensor had gone bad.

A week later, the ABS/PSM lights were back on. I took the car back to the dealer, and it turned out that one of my front rotors had warped and was completely used up.

The dealer is now doing a front brake job, rotors and pads, and replacing the ABS module. Rotors and pad are non-warranty items.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I had that happen with my upsolute chip, the early version but I believe that was just a bug that they fixed?

Old 05-24-2004, 03:44 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
happens to me every couple months too. they've always turn off after the car is turned off and then turned back on.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:36 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
You might have a bad MAF sensor. I recently had it replaced (under warranty) and so far so good.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 PM
thomasddg is on a distinguished road
it seems like i could be alot of reasons why ABS / PSM lights comes on & off...just got my car back from dealer...mine was due to warp rotors...had it change and everything is back to normal

Old 05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by thomasddg
it seems like i could be alot of reasons why ABS / PSM lights comes on & off
Yup...the most common occurrences would be bad MAF Sensor, warped rotors, low brake fluid and mismatched tire pressures (according to my service rep)

Old 05-25-2004, 02:08 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like there's a variety of reasons that could trigger the ABS/PSM lights. Would the computer fault codes tell you exactly what is bad or would it have to be diagnosed by the dealer technician?

I guess if something is really bad in my car the lights would come on again. At that point I'll take the car into the dealer and hopefully they won't give me any hassle on the warranty due to my chip/DV/exhaust mods.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:53 AM
pierre is on a distinguished road
Happened to me a few times at the Nürburgring and on other tracks too... Got a bit nervous the first time, but I'm now just ignoring it.
--Pierre

Old 05-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by John in Norcal
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like there's a variety of reasons that could trigger the ABS/PSM lights. Would the computer fault codes tell you exactly what is bad or would it have to be diagnosed by the dealer technician?

I guess if something is really bad in my car the lights would come on again. At that point I'll take the car into the dealer and hopefully they won't give me any hassle on the warranty due to my chip/DV/exhaust mods.
Have your dealer read the code. That will tell them what's going wrong.

If your dealer is mod friendly, you will be ok.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Happened again yesterday. Started my car and began backing out of the garage and suddenly the ABS/PSM lights came on. Turned off the ignition, started the car again and the lights were off.

I'm driving the car to Napa and back this week. Do you guys think it's safe? Car drives normal. If it happens again, I'm taking it to the dealer.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Hmmm ....had my Upsolute now for a few months and about 3K miles without any problems. I'll ask my Upsolute rep about it. Tks!

Old 06-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by John in Norcal
Hmmm ....had my Upsolute now for a few months and about 3K miles without any problems. I'll ask my Upsolute rep about it. Tks!
If it were the upsolute, it would trigger at WOT at full boost. That was the main issue with previous versions...too much air overwhelming the MAF sensor. Version 4 fixed this problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABS and PSM warning lights suddently came on!!