996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Oil Change

Can anyone reccomend a vendor where I can get the materials neccessary for an oil change? I need oil filters. the wrench to take off the filter and whatever little o rings and gaskets that might be neccessary.
thanks

Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
nycsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jamie furman
Can anyone reccomend a vendor where I can get the materials neccessary for an oil change? I need oil filters. the wrench to take off the filter and whatever little o rings and gaskets that might be neccessary.
thanks
check forum sponsor Suncoast ,they have 10% off holiday sale now

Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
slant911 is on a distinguished road
I used these guys. Didn't even need to know any part numbers. They looked them all up for me and sent the proper items.

www.sunsetimports.com

Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Ditto for Sunset. Jeff Clark @ Sunset looked after me!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
I made this list, but never got around to using it (had to take it in for major service, so I just let them change the oil), so I haven't double checked the part numbers, but I believe this is what you need:
Part - Part #
Oil Filter - 996 107 225 53
Small O-Ring - 999 707 465 40
Tank Plug Washer (copper) - 900 123 010 20
Case Plug Washer (alum) - 900 123 118 30
Turbo Plug Washers (x2) - 900-123-140-30
Filter Wrench - 14mm fluted (pep boys)
Mobil 1 Oil - 0W-40

Let us know if I got it right. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:35 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome forum! thanks guys! One more thing with all those parts listed I might need an instruction manual to do it (seriously)!
I thought there were only 2 engine plugs and an oil filter? Is Sunset the place to get the service manual as well? I want a detailed service manual that gives detailed instructions and illustrations if possible? And if I am going to get a service manual it might as well include gauge replacement, door panel removal. spindels, everything! the whole ball of wax as you never know what you might have to do?

Last edited by jamie furman; 11-21-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Renntech has a DIY section (have to sign up to see the forums). Most guys do not drain the turbos and only do the crankcase and oil tank. The oil change is the same as the GT3. I did a DIY on the GT3 on rennlist.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
slant911 is on a distinguished road
Jamie,

Follow this link to download all service manuals.

http://www.esnips.com/web/rmrmd1956

If you want just the oil change instructions go here.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7075

BTW - I did my oil a while back and did drain the turbos but will not waste my time with them in the future as VERY LITTLE oil comes out of them. There is something like 12 quarts in the system and the best you can hope for is to get 9 quarts out so the extra cup that comes out of the turbos is not worth the time to me.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I made this list, but never got around to using it (had to take it in for major service, so I just let them change the oil), so I haven't double checked the part numbers, but I believe this is what you need:
Part - Part #
Oil Filter - 996 107 225 53
Small O-Ring - 999 707 465 40
Tank Plug Washer (copper) - 900 123 010 20
Case Plug Washer (alum) - 900 123 118 30
Turbo Plug Washers (x2) - 900-123-140-30
Filter Wrench - 14mm fluted (pep boys)
Mobil 1 Oil - 0W-40

Let us know if I got it right. Good luck!
Ah!!! Yeah, I knew that was why I didnt do the oil change myself!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by slant911
Jamie,

Follow this link to download all service manuals.

http://www.esnips.com/web/rmrmd1956

If you want just the oil change instructions go here.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7075

BTW - I did my oil a while back and did drain the turbos but will not waste my time with them in the future as VERY LITTLE oil comes out of them. There is something like 12 quarts in the system and the best you can hope for is to get 9 quarts out so the extra cup that comes out of the turbos is not worth the time to me.
Man thanks alot that is exactly what I was looking for!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
On the contrary......You NEED to do it yourself.....everybody I've EVER seen write about it (that was a novice with mechanics) says afterwards...."Wow, couldn't have been easier" I've been intending to do mine but haven't put that many miles on mine and the couple of times it's been done was when it was already in the shop.....I hope I get the chance to do it and save the money!

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Ah!!! Yeah, I knew that was why I didnt do the oil change myself!!!