996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best uprated brakes for 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Tom the Stock 6pot GT3 Caliper is more than enough to do the job, what I would do is upgrade rotor, the upgraded rotor lasts 3 times as long over the stock 350mm, trust me I have been through 2 sets, if you look back in this thread I posted a small pic of the Brembo rotors I am using, but sure Dan could sort you out with a rotor to match the 6pot GT3 Caliper.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
For those who want to keep stock 18" wheels (TOM) I think Stevo may have the best setup. It appears he has a 2-piece slotted 350mm Brembo rotor mated to the 6 piston GT3 Porsche calipers. There will be Pagid pads off the shelf to fit them.

I had to have custom pads made for the Brembo 6-piston momobloc (which has been out only about a year) BC the only other options I could find off the shelf were Ferodo and I didn't want that. It is my understanding that the same spider cracking problems willl exist with the GT3 rotor as does with the stock ones. Slotted supposedly doesn't do that and therefore lasts longer. I think most are changing drilled rotors due to too much cracking, not BC it has gotten too thin to meet spec.

Oak,

I didn't like what I read about the "soft pedal syndrome" for the Brembo systems hence instilling lack of confidence. Have any others of you running Brembos had a similar problem? Could this be an issue relating to choice of pads rather than the Brembo rotor/caliper assembly?

Last edited by Al Norton; 12-16-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Al Norton

Oak,

I didn't like what I read about the "soft pedal syndrome" for the Brembo systems hence instilling lack of confidence. Have any others of you running Brembos had a similar problem? Could this be an issue relating to choice of pads rather than the Brembo rotor/caliper assembly?
I run the 6 pot Brembos and found that they don't bite as quickly as the GTR's or Ceramics (if that's what Oak is referring to) but definitely dont find them short of anything but confidence inspiring to say the least.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
e "soft pedal syndrome" for the Brembo systems hence instilling lack of confidence. Have any others of you running Brembos had a similar problem? Could this be an issue relating to choice of pads rather than the Brembo rotor/caliper assembly?
Does anyone know how the VOLUME (or cross sectional area) of the pots in the brembo systems compare to others (stock or GT3). Since brakes convert the linear pedal travel into brake force, differences in the areas within the caliper will change the 'feel' between pedal motion and brake force. More pots, bigger pots is not always better- especially when all other aspects of the brake system (ABS actuator, master cylinder, etc) remain stock.

A

Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup Stevo has exactly what I want... I want the GT3 caliper with a two piece non-drilled rotor. Anyone know a dealership selling just the calipers?

The rotora setup vivid is selling is an "option", except for the fact that the cailper looks smaller, and who supplies the pads? Also, where do you get replacement rotors from?

I might call coleman racing and see if they can come up with something...

Mike

Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
When I was looking into the GT3 caliper option about a month ago there were none to be had in the US or Germany and were on BO from Brembo, who I believe makes them for Porsche.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
ARD - Stoptech is junk and will always be junk. Go buy a set and find out

Yes that GT3 setup is $2600, or you can get the Brembo with 2piece rotor which is lighter and better cooling for $3200. Stock wheels, nope dont fit. Buy some Volk TE37, lighter then stocks, perfect fitment, 1 piece forged, and a set of 18's go for $2600. You can always cut corners and find cheaper solutions.... anyone want to dive in on turn 1 at PIR against me

Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
mkelly - Rotora uses Axxis pads. You can cross reference pagid or ferodo too. They have replacement rotors, hats, pins, pads, lines, and everything else to be sold. Though I have never seen anyone replace them. The caliper is a 6piston and the disk is a 14.1inch setup. Same size, pic is deceiving...

How many have I sold? 3 sets. How many have Rotora sold? Well they are number 2 in brake kits behind Brembo.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
GT3 2pc Rotors

Who supplies a replacement 2pc 350mm rotor for the GT3?
What would be the weight savings?

Last edited by silvershark; 12-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
To put the 380's on a Turbo, you would have to run a caliper adapter and obviously a bigger wheel

Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Correction

Originally Posted by silvershark
Who supplies a replacement 2pc 380mm rotor for the GT3?
What would be the weight savings?
Correction 350mm rotor and GT3 caliper.
Who supplies the 2pc replacement?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I know the Alcons are 380mm but you would need to run adapter on to your GT3 Caliper, they would fit under your 19" (well should) but why would you want to run the 380's?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Mine is Brembo, what happens is you buy the whole complete disc/rotor with hat, when the disc wears you just replace the disc only, disc is £250 Sterling ($500 US) and is in the Brembo Catalogue. The only thing is the Hat, I don't think these are supplied by Brembo, might be wrong! I would talk to Dan to see if he can match the 355mm Brembo (I have) up to the GT3 Caliper, I will see if I can dig up part number.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I am going to run GT brakes fairly soon...after the 650hp comes about (and subsequent bull****...haha)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll ring dan tomorrow to see what vivid's options are.

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best uprated brakes for 996 tt