996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Radiator & coolant flush procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Radiator & coolant flush procedure

Hey guys, I am replacing my front side radiators (both are leaking). I would like to know the proper way of flushing and bleeding. Is there any bleed screws that need to be cracked in the system?

What type of coolant is to be used? I bought some Pentosin G001100 but i read somewhere that I need G12 instead?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Don.
I havn't done it on TT but idid my NA 996 .it should be the same.
Drain system completely by opening the coolant hose and coolant drains in the back if the engine under fill bottle.

look up capacity

That way you will know that you are geting th proper 50/50 mix.

Jack the rear of the car high so that the air bleed out of the fill bottle . add coolant mix slowly when it fills, start the engine for a little bit so thermostat opens and add more. Let air bubbles come out .you may have to do it several times.
Keep track of the amount that goes in so you will know when it is full and all the air is out. patience!

I used Prestone DEX-Cool Equiv.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Go to your local Audi dealership and pick up the coolant from them, yes it's a different colour to the p-car stuff but it is the same spec and half the price.

I have had to bleed my system 6 times now and that is what I use. I also picked up a Snap-on Tools pressure bleeder that ensures there are no air locks in the system.

This is one of the best tools I own. It is called RADKITPLUSA.

Cheers,

Ben

Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Slightly OT: has anyone replaced the thermostat with a cooler one? I'd like for my car to run a bit cooler and this was always a good little mod on previous cars.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:16 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Porsche coolant is 30 bucks a gallon and is 50/50 i.e. 1 gallon of coolant plus 1 of HOH. The benefit to the Porsche stuff is that it is lifetime coolant, so it is a one shot deal.

Don't shoot the messenger, I got this from the wrench at the dealership when asking if I really needed Porsche coolant - he said no by the way.......

Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Slightly OT: has anyone replaced the thermostat with a cooler one? I'd like for my car to run a bit cooler and this was always a good little mod on previous cars.
You don't want to run a cooler temp in this engine.
the ECU adjusts everything based on temps, and these cars don't overheat unless something is wrong.
Cheers

Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Go to your local Audi dealership and pick up the coolant from them, yes it's a different colour to the p-car stuff but it is the same spec and half the price.

I have had to bleed my system 6 times now and that is what I use. I also picked up a Snap-on Tools pressure bleeder that ensures there are no air locks in the system.

Cheers,

Ben
Ben is right,the best way to do it is with a bleeder........you will go nuts trying to get the air out otherwise.Joe

Old 12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
cooler is not 'cooler'. Oil is at it's best lubricity at 185 degrees.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Just out of curiousity...How long should this take?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Wow! Takes that long, huh?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
20 minutes maybe so long the you have a large enough compressor.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
What is the best way to flush ALL coolant out of the system?
I have a RADKITPLUSA bleeder.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigBadBen

Cheers,

Ben
+1 Have done it without the Radkitplus and it was an absolute hell. With the kit much easier.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
I just found the best site yet on how to completly flush out the cooling system on a Boxer... Ok I have a 1999 C2 996 and it must be the same process or as near as dammit is to cursing. Now I can buy U-View 55000 Air Lift Vacuum and Cooling System Tester and Refiller from Amazon for $119 (free shipping) for refilling the system.
Check it out. Theres all kinds of good DIY projects on the same site. Great photos and explanations. http://pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Flush...nt_System.html

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Porsche, Audi, VW, and BMW all use the same coolant makeup....it just has different dyes in it. They're all lifetime coolants now. HEPU(G12) variant is the cheapest at about $9 per 1.5liters(100%, mix 50/50 to make 3 liters) it's just blue. Just best not to mix different colors as it turns green/brown and makes it difficult to distinguish it from bad coolant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator & coolant flush procedure