996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

$14K for 640hp? Opinions on By design offer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:39 PM
SilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud of
$14K for 640hp? Opinions on By design offer

stopped by By-design last week, spoke with mike, who tuned that cab tt which came in 2nd place in the european car tt shoot out....

he stated that he'd put in the k24 turbos to replace the stock K16, chip program, new exhaust, diverter valves, etc....

640 HP.

furthermore, he said that since all the parts will be OEM porsche parts (GT2 parts?) the warranty will NOT be voided!

i'm tempted!!!! wonder if it's a good idea.

any thoughts and opinions?

what will that do to my gas mileage? ( i guess if i'm pushing that many horses, record gas prices are of no concern)

will my car still last a long time without major mechanical failure?

thanks for the input!

Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Re: $14K for 640hp? Opinions on By design offer

Originally posted by SilverTTCab
640 HP.

furthermore, he said that since all the parts will be OEM porsche parts (GT2 parts?) the warranty will NOT be voided!

really?

Old 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"furthermore, he said that since all the parts will be OEM porsche parts (GT2 parts?) the warranty will NOT be voided!"

complete and utter bull*%H%

Old 06-03-2004, 08:41 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The parts will come with their own warranty and those are covered. Just not through the dealer. Also 14K for the stage IV is a little high.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:55 PM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
"furthermore, he said that since all the parts will be OEM porsche parts (GT2 parts?) the warranty will NOT be voided!"

complete and utter bull*%H%
I totally agree. 640 HP without changing intercoolers, intake pipes, or headers ?? No way. Also which version K-24's would be installed ??

Theo

Old 06-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Theo, i wasn't calling BS on the power claim, but rather the "not voiding your warranty" BS. in their claim, by design wasn't referring to the parts warranty on the new parts only (as stephen is suggesting) or they wouldn't have said "the warranty won't be voided". smoke something in that car with damn near 50% more power than it was designed by porsche to last 4/50k miles, and you'll be paying for that smoked something - until your lawyer gets ahold of by design if they're dumb enough to put that BS in writing.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of where the parts come from...OEM or not, if the motor goes, no Porsche warranty...They will not warranty a motor modded to 600hp...It's the chance you take when changing turbos' and ecu...just a heads up...

PS: Is By design no longer a Bd. Sponsor???

Old 06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
"PS: Is By design no longer a Bd. Sponsor???"

their logo is still next up from the bottom on the right.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:21 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, I just realized that the post said 640HP. No way on 91 octane. That is the race gas program and I can assure you that the kit is not 14K that is well under cost! At least for the 640 stuff. The truth is 600HP at 91 octane is doable and easy as well. Nothing to it.

Keep in mind if you have something that is related to boost issues the dealer will say you are on your own. I know of no one that has been totally denied by the dealer. Early on the dealer had mine apart for some issues and they knew it was 600HP. Do your self a favor and know the law and your rights, establish a relationship with the service department and take them lunch every now and then. At the end of the day they get paid under warranty.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:20 AM
SilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud of
thanks for all the info!

so ~600 hp for 14K installed. (640hp if i use jet fuel!)
warranty MAY be workable with a good relationship.

so intake, ecu, bigger turbo, exhaust, dv... these were the things that i remember... what else needs to be worked on to ensure smooth safe operation?

and what is the experience with by design for those of you that have worked with them?

thanks!!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Just an air filter and thats it. You have the bases covered!

Old 06-05-2004, 01:01 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
"and what is the experience with by design for those of you that have worked with them?"

Just be careful and do your homework. Also, do a search on by design.