996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Radiator Hose DIY help???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Radiator Hose DIY help???

I just got done gettin' my ***** off a flat bed and into my garage. On the way home after a crazy day a work, I got a flashing red light by the oil temp gauge(which was at a steady 185) and a message saying coolant level low. I plan to troubleshoot tomorrow, by putting the car on jacks and finding out what went wrong. Any tips would be much appreciated!!!!

Now, its time for a few scotch's. Scotchy scotch scotch.

Ryan

Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 PM
nerdhotrod will become famous soon enoughnerdhotrod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TXGold
I just got done gettin' my ***** off a flat bed and into my garage. On the way home after a crazy day a work, I got a flashing red light by the oil temp gauge(which was at a steady 185) and a message saying coolant level low. I plan to troubleshoot tomorrow, by putting the car on jacks and finding out what went wrong. Any tips would be much appreciated!!!!

Now, its time for a few scotch's. Scotchy scotch scotch.

Ryan
Where does it look like the coolant is coming from?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
From the rear. Only because the engine compartment looked like Cheech was in there with a hooka! When I was stopped the amount that leaked out was probably about a gallon. I pulled off the highway a quarter mile after seeing the light, and coasted into a gas station.

Anything to look for as far as engine damage? Is the Oil temp being at normal temp, an indication of anything positive?

Muchos gracias,
Ryan

Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I blew a radiator hose and did much the same you did...got off the freeway and drove to a gas station. As long as the engine didn't get REAL HOT from continued driving, it should be no harm no foul. I went into the gas station (mini mart type) and bought a couple gallon jugs of distilled water and washed most of the coolant off the engine and engine compartment as well as off the paint and there was no residual damage done. There have been a number of guys lately who have blown radiator hoses....all being the passenger rear side. Out of curiosity, which side blew? Are you planning on replacing the hose yourself?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Just spent the afternoon cleaning the undercarriage. Didn't get much time to troubleshoot. My head was spinning too much.

What is a good way to find out which hose is busted, if it's not immediately apparent?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
triple_nickel is on a distinguished road
You could get a coolant system pressure tester like this:

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=183

Not too expensive. Maybe able to find a different brand also.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Although we never found a DIY for any replacements of the coolant hoses, I did figure out that the water pump is the problem. The metal 1" tube that comes out of the pump that the rubber return line attaches to, is out of the hole. It's covered under CPO and I'm headed to the dealer now.

Last edited by TXGold; 02-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Did you access the pump by taking off the rear wheel and the wheel lining? I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace a radiator hose.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I did take off the bumper and the wheel liners, but just to clean the coolant that leaked everywhere. There absence wouldn't have helped with anything, I don't think. It appears it would be easier to replace hoses with the airbox removed.