996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Journey From 996TT to Techart GT Street 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is on a distinguished road
My Journey From 996TT to Techart GT Street 997TT

I have been sharing with the 997 TT Forums guys 3 months on my conversion from 996TT to Techart GT Street 997 TT. I have condensed all the comments and images to share with you guys. The car is headed over to Auto Talent today for the engine upgrades.

Build Details

Its been about 2 years since I sold my widebody supercharged Porsche 996. In the meantime I have been floating around between a few other cars, and finally I felt its time to build another Porsche. Having already built a crazy 996 in the past, I felt this time I really needed to top myself. The new project for 2007-2008 is converting a 996 Turbo into a 997 Techart GT Street Turbo.

Currently the car is at 3C in Culver City converting from a 996TT to a 997TT body. Thanks to Misha who helped me out with all the details and supplied his conversion fenders.

Thanks to all the following business and indivduals below for helping me with my vision and dream.

Mike and Todd at Evolution Motorsports EVOMS for helping me out with the engine details. I will have the Stage 4 Kit making 600HP.

Mark and Ryan and of course Claus at CEC Wheels for sourcing me one of the first Techart GT Street Kits to arrive in the United States.

Fabryce and GMG for the wonderful roll cage.

Gary and his team at Brembo/Race Technolgies for the 15" brakes front and rear brakes.

Misha at 911wings.com for his experience, parts and being a pioneer to attempt this conversion. I would have never even thought this was possible until you called me.

Raj and Brian at 3C for tackling this difficult project. They are the only body shop I trust for this work.

Brian Fox at BASF for supplying the 997 GT3RS Green paint.

Finally to all the members of 6speedonline for allowing me to share my passion for modifying cars.

I will post more pictures after we get the body kit in and prepped.

My Old Car.

My New Car before tearing it apart

Pictures of current conversion

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 02-28-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned
Just received some updated pictures from the body shop. The GT Street Kit during test fitment fits perfect with the body mods. The rear quarters should be welded by Saturday of this week, and then all that is needed are some minor adjustments and the car can be prepped and primered.

Raj at 3C is going to build me a one off vented hood like on my previous 996 widebody as the final detail to set the car off.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned
Picture of the quarter panels fully welded on. Car is getting prepped for paint. Should be painted by christmas. The car is going to be my late christmas present to myself. I am so excitied right now. We had to order the 997 turbo ducting and I am debating on which upgraded intercoolers I should purchase. My GT2 turbos from EVOMS should be here this week also. My last conversation with Mike at Evo was they were shipped to him last week.

Here is a rear pictures showing the Techart Rear Bumper. The 997 quarter panels combined with the 996 suspension give the car a slightly wider stance.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned
Ok guys sorry for the late response with some more updates. I was out of the country for 2 weeks. The car is fully apart and primered. It has been raining the whole week out here in So. Cal, so as soon as the weather gets better 3C can start the paint process. The car is so close to completion. I am very excitied.

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 02-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned
Ok guys sorry for the delay. Pictures of the car in the paint booth. We are only using the best paint BASF Glasurit 997 GT3 RS Green http://www.carizzmacolors.com/ . Keep in mind these were taken with flash. It will not look so light and baby colored in person.

More Pics from the body shop this morning after the car left the paint booth. I can't wait to see the car in person later this week.

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 02-27-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned
The car is starting to take shape. Next in store for the car is the front bumper, alll the ducting, 996 to 997 conversion fenders and rear window spoiler from Misha www.misha911.com, hood, sideskrits and headlights.

Rear bumper will be put on after the car goes to Auto Talent www.autotalent.com on Sepulveda for the turbo upgrade [got a set of K24 turbos from Evolution Motorsports] www.evoms.com with 18g compressor wheel upgrade put in by Protomotive www.protomotive.com , Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed exhaust, GT2 intercoolers, Evolution Motorsports Intake, Agency Power silcone boost hoses, 5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, Denso Spark Plugs, Front and Rear Yellow Brembo Brake Upgrade and some Softronic programming from Vivid Racing www.vividracing.com

Interior mods will consist of a full carbon fiber interior kit upgrade from MA Carbon www.macarbon.com , Porsche 996 GT3 OEM Recaro seats, and a color matched roll cage from GMG www.gmgracing.com

Some new pictures of the conversion. All the parts have been painted and now the car is starting to be reassembled. Both 1/4 glass and the new rear glass has been installed along with the decklid and the front fenders. The interior is getting reinstalled as we speak.

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 02-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned
Most of the body panels are on now. Car is off Auto Talent for the engine upgrades. Then it will go back to 3C for final assembly.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
r34dy2walk is on a distinguished road
looking good brother.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned
mbphreak is on a distinguished road
That rear spoiler is intense...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Nice!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
mevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud ofmevans has much to be proud of
Straight up sexy.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Your wheels are dirty.

Just kidding, I've been following this thread for awhile. Ridiculous SICK build - can't wait to see the first drive! I want those GT Street bumpers so bad.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
nice work Vince! I hope those Agency Power parts do you well!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Amazing build...

Is the 996 --> 997 conversion a complete transformation? I mean, porsche claims every body panel is different, so like obviously the big things are different, headlights, fenders, bumpers, but is the rear intakes or anything a different size.

I guess i'm just wondering how hard it would be to notice that it was a 996 vs. a 997. Obviously the interior is a dead giveaway, but other than that will it look exactly like a 997 from the exterior?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by daedalus
Amazing build...

Is the 996 --> 997 conversion a complete transformation? I mean, porsche claims every body panel is different, so like obviously the big things are different, headlights, fenders, bumpers, but is the rear intakes or anything a different size.

I guess i'm just wondering how hard it would be to notice that it was a 996 vs. a 997. Obviously the interior is a dead giveaway, but other than that will it look exactly like a 997 from the exterior?
Pretty much the entire car is different. I had to buy most of the 997 turbo body panels to make it work. The convsersion requies unwelding the entire rear stock 996 turbo body and replacing it with the 997 panels. Not an easy transformation I think now I am approaching the 30k price range on the conversion. Since my car is pretty much all 997 to the naked eye on the outside you would not be able to tell. The only give away is the door handle and the side mirrors. All the little stuff is being worked on now. I have the 997 intake to intercooler ducting and the 997 intercooler brackets on order to finish the project after the engine work.

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 02-27-2008 at 05:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Journey From 996TT to Techart GT Street 997TT