996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbonetic Triple Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have been talking to a lot of tuners and Porsche techs and we have concluded that the best way to get a triple clutch pedal to engage during the middle of the pedal travel and not the last 1 inch is to alter the slave cylinder. By fabricating a bracket that will position the slave cylinder 1 to 2 inches away from the original position will give the desired affect I want.

The other idea is to add an adjustable master clutch cylinder. I have this one already in motion. The only problem with this method is that it will only lower the pedal which is great, but I wanted a little more.

I would like to keep the two pedals at equal height and not alter the pedal travel, but alter where the clutch actually engages. The former should do this.

What do you guys think?

Also, the clutch is starting to feel better and I think it may be a keeper. Jury is still out since I only have 130 miles on it and the manyfacture says break in is 800 miles.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
My biggest desire would be to have a full range of clutch motion to control the clutch, The spring remove helped mine quite a bit and it's free, it brought the pedal and engagement down a bit, not at the middle, but where the middle used to be if that made any sense. It make the pedal a bit more firm, but with a triple it's like already a bit softer than stock. Let me know if you find a better solution that works.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I just got mine back...clutch does not engage until last couple inches of travel. Stalled twice on the way home.

However, Tommy says that as clutch is broken in it will start grabbing more towards the middle of the clutch travel range. When it grabs, it GRABS! And it is no heavier or louder than my old Sachs set up.

Finally, Tommy gave me an absolutely FANTASTIC deal. Of course I promised to give him a deserving write up once I get the clutch broken in (after about 500 miles or so).

Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I _hate_ the hydraulic assist and that's in combination with these "race" style clutches it makes for an unpleasant driving experience with the high hp kits. Depending upon what you have in there I'd suggest doing the GT2/Slave/Master conversion and dump the hyraulic assist crap. Yes the pedal will be stiffer. Somewhere around the GT2/GT3 and perhaps a bit stiffer (this is dependant upon the kit you put in) but the fact that it no longer engages right at the very top and can be modulated/felt makes me much more happy.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sharkster
I _hate_ the hydraulic assist and that's in combination with these "race" style clutches it makes for an unpleasant driving experience with the high hp kits. Depending upon what you have in there I'd suggest doing the GT2/Slave/Master conversion and dump the hyraulic assist crap. Yes the pedal will be stiffer. Somewhere around the GT2/GT3 and perhaps a bit stiffer (this is dependant upon the kit you put in) but the fact that it no longer engages right at the very top and can be modulated/felt makes me much more happy.
how about just moving the slave master away from the clutch 1 inch? Won't that make the clutch engage in the middle and not at the end? I am getting better and better at working it every day. I have 160 miles on it but the clutch is still catching at the top of the pedal travel. I hate that!

So you are saying just order a GT2 Slave and clutch Master cyclinder and it will help? Do you have the part numbers?

Last edited by robertp; 03-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
It makes for a much better driving experience. I had 1 out in last summer and really like it. The very high engagement, 1/2 inch of modulation room and light weight flywheel combo sucks. Once rolling it's fine, but horrible for in town driving. I bought a GT2/Slave/Master conversion kit and would suggest you look at it too.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Dr_Jitsu has a GT2 and it still engages high. Hmmmm.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:50 AM
This is why you need to make a custom mounting bracket to move the slave 1 inch away from the clutch.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Moving the slave 1" away from the clutch would not be a simple job without removing the tranny. If you didn't get it right, out with the tranny again. I'm looking forward to hearing about someone else doing it first.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Moving the slave 1" away from the clutch would not be a simple job without removing the tranny. If you didn't get it right, out with the tranny again. I'm looking forward to hearing about someone else doing it first.
That is why they quoted me $1200

Old 03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
100 miles on mine...still a PITA to drive. Hopefully it will improve.

I do not want to have to f#@! w/ the slave.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
That is why they quoted me $1200
Lol. Is that $1200 to get it right, or just to find out?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
That is the great thing about Tommy Bahn...he is new to the Porsche world but he charges Supra prices (IE no Porsche tax).

Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Did you guys remove the factory accumulator/assist setup when you went with the ATS ?
Tommy is a great guy, anxious to see what awaits
his personal car as well.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
Did you guys remove the factory accumulator/assist setup when you went with the ATS ?
Tommy is a great guy, anxious to see what awaits
his personal car as well.
No, my is still stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonetic Triple Clutch