996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do dealers need to disclose accident history?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 07:49 AM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
Do dealers need to disclose accident history?

The reason I ask is that I was just washing and waxing my car, and noticed the rear quarter panel may have been re-painted, and I just got the car, an 03-X50 last week. I'm a little concerned here, and don't know what to do, they never mentioned anything.
thanks

Old 07-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Did you ask or get a PPI? They might not say anything if not asked.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:10 AM
ypshan is on a distinguished road
How do you tell if the panel has been repainted?

Old 07-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
hmm, not 100% but I do know they must disclose major accidents..

Where did the car come from?

How would you know if they knew it was repainted?

That does suck. I know the feeling.

For sure a call is in order.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:26 AM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
Well, it looks repainted because the color is off, I bought the car from Newport Auto, in CA. They are a certified Porsche dealership, and certified my car, so I think the PPI was part of the certification process. I didn't Carfax, and am now wondering if I should have...I will call them tomorrow

Old 07-03-2004, 10:37 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
If damage exceeded 70% of the car value, that damage has to be disclosed when you buy the car.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:03 AM
AeroTT is on a distinguished road
Use a paint meter.... thst should tell you whether the car has been re sprayed or not

Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
I bought a car from Newport Porsche several years ago and I realized afterwards that the front had been resprayed. I asked before the purchase if it had been in any acccidents and they said no. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Arnie is on a distinguished road
Depends on the state. In NJ they have to disclose if it is a dealer.

I bought a 97 911S from a dealer with 2000 miles. I though it something was wrong with the apint but they denied it. So I bought it and found out 2 weeks later that the hood was repainted. I made them take the car back because of NJ law. I got them to sell me a 99 Cabg at invoice instead.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:01 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Newport Auto=sleazeballs....

Find out what dealer serviced/sold the car and contact their service manager, you can get the original dealer via PCNA by giving them the VIN #. Usually the dealers are very helpful if you are polite in asking and if they know any history/info on the car they will tell you.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:26 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Im not sure about Porsche's certified program but I do know of other car companies that are allowed to certify thier cars with up to a certain amount of repaint on the vehicle.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:32 PM
petert is on a distinguished road
My friend bought a new Jag XJR when they first came out, as a temp vehicle while waiting for the right color. When the other came in, he went to trade the first and they said "no deal, this car has paint work". He told them it hadn't been in any wrecks and he bought it new. They said something like "slimey dealers do paintwork for lot/transport damage and do not disclose", and asked him where he bought it. He said "here". That was pretty funny. They took the trade after all.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:27 AM
golfnut is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaykla
[B] I didn't Carfax, and am now wondering if I should have...

Sometimes Carfax won't show anything even if the car was in a major accident. I personally know of 2 cars ( 02 996 turbo and a 03 Range Rover) that had significant collision work done but Carfax came out clean. I suppose if the report showed something, it's worth finding out but negative report doesn't tell you anything.

Goodluck.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 AM
hkj
hkj is on a distinguished road
Take Appropriate Action

An associate bought a Starmark Certified Mercedes Benz from Fletcher Jones, the largest Mercedes Benz dealer in California (their Las Vegas dealership is the largest Mercedes Benz dealership in the world) and it turns out the car had undisclosed frame damage. They would not take the car back so he sued them. The exposure from the lawsuit by itself has caused the dealership to offer some type of settlement.

If you had asked the dealer is there was any type of paint work, body work or frame damage and they stated "no," then they misrepresented the car if you can prove the car had previous damage. I would first file a complaint with the state's department of motor vehicles. This step by itself will cause a myriad of problems for the dealer.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Carfax is so weak!

I had my M3 stolen and recovered, needed body work. Clean car fax. Car was also hit in a separate accident and no carfax!

I disclosed this to the buyer anyway. Didn't want any future problems..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do dealers need to disclose accident history?