996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installing new Speedtech(DGI)exhaust tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 AM
gobble is on a distinguished road
This was your earlier comment that I didn't understand. Maybe you just meant a "sense" of power loss and not actual power loss?

Based on the design, and comments from another 6speed member (FlyYellow) who bolted this system onto a stock TT, my initial thoughts are that you might experience a sense of power loss on a stock TT, due in part to the fact that your gaining a lot of size in the system. Based on my research, I don't see the 200Cell cats hurting power more than 3-5hp throughout the range, but who knows. I think the "lazy" spool that Fly reported has to do with the sizing of the pipes. If you have a modified car, like mine, you should experience no "loss" in power, and I'd expect a possible gain. There are few systems out there that are a true 70mm piping all the way through from the cat flanges to the exhaust tips. Having a modified TT/GT2 will allow you to take full advantage of the system without losing the enjoyment of driving the car. The other added benefit for me here in Va. is that cops nolonger give me an evil look when my car roars past. It looks stock and sounds stock at idle. I just push the clutch in and coast and they don't give me a second glance. I couldn't say that with the other two systems I had on my car.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Gobble,

FLY was comparing his new SpeedTech to his older Fabspeed (Gen 1, I think), which was known to make the most additional power of the aftermarket exhausts. The reason he switched is that he grew tired of the exceptionally loud resonance, buzzing, etc. and he was looking for something quieter. He "sensed" a little loss in power, but based on our dyno, I am not convinced this is the case. It could be that without the loud noise, the car felt a little slower or maybe it actually was - we will never know for sure. The point being, he was comparing it to the aftermarket exhaust that makes more power than any other previously tested exhaust. After seeing the SpeedTech dyno reveal a 25 HP gain across the board and a 41HP increase at 6,200 RPM's on a K16/16G car, I think the two exhausts are very similar in performance, as the SpeedTech gains over stock are virtually identical to the Fabspeed dyno test on a stage 4 car with K24 turbos, which was compared to a stock exhaust, as well. There is no question that the gains over a stock exhaust are huge with the Speedtech exhaust.

Last edited by John D; 03-30-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
In that post I was trying to relay my thoughts as to why FlyYellow claimed to feel a power loss. The only reason I could see this is from losing some backpressure by going to larger pipes.

I've not experienced any sense of powerloss myself, as stated above, with this system.

Mike

Originally Posted by gobble
This was your earlier comment that I didn't understand. Maybe you just meant a "sense" of power loss and not actual power loss?

Based on the design, and comments from another 6speed member (FlyYellow) who bolted this system onto a stock TT, my initial thoughts are that you might experience a sense of power loss on a stock TT, due in part to the fact that your gaining a lot of size in the system. Based on my research, I don't see the 200Cell cats hurting power more than 3-5hp throughout the range, but who knows. I think the "lazy" spool that Fly reported has to do with the sizing of the pipes. If you have a modified car, like mine, you should experience no "loss" in power, and I'd expect a possible gain. There are few systems out there that are a true 70mm piping all the way through from the cat flanges to the exhaust tips. Having a modified TT/GT2 will allow you to take full advantage of the system without losing the enjoyment of driving the car. The other added benefit for me here in Va. is that cops nolonger give me an evil look when my car roars past. It looks stock and sounds stock at idle. I just push the clutch in and coast and they don't give me a second glance. I couldn't say that with the other two systems I had on my car.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Jessecrowe is on a distinguished road
Great looking and sounding exhaust

Originally Posted by CAA
I got my car back today after getting the new exhaust installed. I am very very pleased. The product came fully bubble wrapped in excellent condition. I had AutoSport Intl in Irvine do the installation which went well. 2.5 hours later i have a car that now sounds like it should.

The exhaust is louder than i thought yet i am able to carry on a conversation on my cell phone while driving thru all of the gears. It seems to have picked up some power as well. As far as cosmetics, it fit almost perfectly. One side was off by a small fraction however the end tips were readily adjustable.

The Speedtech exhaust was a definite solid purchase. Anyone that wants to see or hear, i am located in Irvine,CA.

CAA

I am located right in your neighborhood and would like to check it out.

Drop me an email or call. jescrowe@aol.com or 949 278 0015.

How much did they charge you for the install?

Thanks,

Jesse

Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
My fav exhaust from ALL my research - had on decided on keeping my turbo i would definitely have purchased it by now... but my turbo shall be leaving me soon - i cant wait for my replacement though!!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I put my exhaust on last night and took it for a drive this morning. The acceleration is smoother and more responsive. The sound is aggressive. Too much fun!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Great to hear... now find a few tunnels or overpasses and enjoy!