996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Time @ CMP (Time Trials) LONG (but good)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
First Time @ CMP (Time Trials) LONG (but good)

This weekend at CMP was some kind of experience, some good, some bad, some , some indifferent. First off I almost decided not to go because as the weekend went on the weather forcast got worse and worse. To the point that I waited until the day of to drive 3.5 hours to get there. I got on the road and nearly turned around and went home, but I didn’t have another track event scheduled in the near future so I decided to go. A buddy (vince) allowed the rain to scare him away at the last minute. Well the drive wasn’t bad but I got a late start and my trailer starter acting up (vibrating) so I stopped to move the car back on the trailer which helped some, but I still didn’t figure out what the problem was till on the way home (warped tire). So now I’m extra late, but too far to go home.

The track had recently been revamped and subsequently become faster in terms of lap times. What was exciting to me was that the record holder on the old configuration was there in his 996 Cup Car, and a few other TTU guys who I expected to be fast. I knew if we got some good weather the lap record would change by a couple seconds, I had no idea if I could even get in the range in my first time at the track, but I was willing to try.

So I get to CMP AFTER the drivers meeting, but so far so good, no rain, I get teched in time to make it to the first session, but in my haste, I left my transponder for my lap times (required for TT), didn’t tighten one wheels lugs tight enough, and crossed the merge line exiting pit lane. I got to the session but late, so the track was already green. The result was a black flag for crossing the line (I did look to make sure I was well clear) and no working transponder, and a wheel wobbling back on what seemed like a 5 minute out lap back to pit lane. Not to mention on said out lap, and since it was dry I gave it some power out of the 3rd turn and nearly lost it into a wall, the most dangerous part of the track. Well, I took it easy through there for the rest of the day.

Session 2 I went out in SOAKED conditions only to find that the sport cups which I changed to because of the weather had some grip in the rear, but the fronts were worn and I pushed all over the place, but come to find out everyone else was too. I couldn’t give more than ½ throttle and couldn’t go above 5k rpm in ANY gear. Well during the session I passed several people at high rates of speed (considering the conditions), I wondered why everyone was so slow and was giving me point by’s (In TT point by’s aren’t as common). I then get into the long congo line of traffic and start passing 4 and 5 cars at a time. Mind you we are relatively crawling because of the weather. Remember the lap record on the new setup was 1:45, My fastest lap in that session was a 2:11. Well I get back to the paddock only to find out that I went out too early in the wrong group and was in HPDE 1 (the slowest novice group). I was looking at the schedule for Sunday instead of Saturday. HAHAHHA, I bet they thought I was a madman passing without point by’s going into corners and everything.

The rest of Saturday was super soaked, and I wasn’t able to improve much in the third session(2:10), but in the last Saturday session it finally started clicking and I took ten seconds off my best time to get to 2:00, which was the second fastest time of the day to the Cup Car who had michelin rain slicks (1:54). At this point I thought it would be a long weekend, as there was no grip anywhere, braking, accelerating, turning. But it made for some fun car control, and sphincter clinching moments The Cup Car looked very composed everywhere and could put down power and passing everyone in the race group. He was running TT and in the race group. We had a forcast for a good day on Sunday so I I went ahead and switched to my old trusty Yokohama Scrubs that I bought used and Time trialed at Barber to a lap record. I waited too late to get new tires and it was my first time at the track so I figured I learn the track first before throwing fresh tires at it.

Sunday #1
Well Sunday comes and sure enough, no rain in the morning, but TT always goes out first and since it rained all night the tracked was still wet, no puddles, but VERY wet. I managed a 1:52 which was the fastest time of the weekend so far, but I didn’t think there would be THAT much more grip to gain. The Cup Car skipped TT to get ready to qualify for his race later on in the day. But my time was faster than all of the cars that qualified as EVERYONE went out on slicks expecting it to be dry, AND IT WASN’T!!!

AWD FTW

Sunday #2

Went out again and the numerous session had dried the track substantially. I was gridded 1rst and got 3 or 4 clean laps before catching traffic and even still got some fast times because there are LOTS of places to pass. Came back to a 1:41.5 (my traqmate seemed to be a tenth slower than NASA’s time, probably because of me being a little off on placing the start finish). Needless to say I was happy because the track hadn’t even gotten all of the grip on it yet because it was still overcast. The Cup Car skipped again as the race was priority, and TT for extra free passing laps. So after me the second fastest time was 1:51 in a TTC car..

Sinday #3

This is where it gets good. The guy in the Cup Car had been helping me out all weekend by giving me tips on how to drive the track, it seriously shortened the learning curve and he helped me by watching my video and telling me how to fix problem areas. I wasn’t going to mention to him that I ran a 1:41, but he asked and so I told him. He was a little shocked, but I knew he’d have that in mind for the next TT session. I also knew he’d have to start far back in the grid since he skipped the first two TT sessions. I hoped that he would have a hard time getting a clean lap in this session, then I could sneak and run an extra fast time in the last session and catch him off guard for the win and lap record.

Well come to find out he came to grid late and started rip roaring through the field. I did 4 laps before overheating my tires and having to come in because they had gotten to 40 psi hot when they are supposed to be 30 hot. My traqmate said 1:40.0, and as much as I watned to see a 1:39, my tires wouldn’t let me go any further. So I pitted early. Some of the pit crew from the Cup’s group told me he had run a 1:39 and he confirmed it by saying he ran a 1:39.9, they seemed to have timed me and had me at 1:40.0 as well. So I knew when we got the sheets it would be a nail biter. Remember, my traqmate had been 1/10th off all day.

I get to the tent later to pick up the results and before I can look at the times I see my name first, result ME – 1:39.931 Cup 1:39.972, so I was ahead by .041. I nearly jumped up and screamed. He had to race right after the session, got to grid late, started a half lap behind the field, and still finished second two turns behind the winner. And he didn’t catch that guy because he turned it down a notch because we all thought he had gotten to P1. He got fastest lap of the race @1:40.1.

Sunday #4

The Cup Car decided not to run the last session as his tires had probably had it, and I doubt he’d have wanted to waist a new set on TT. I ran some lap’s just because I wanted some more laps due to the missed quality laps on Saturday. I managed a 1:40.9 but didn’t want to push too hard on the last session and mess something up.

I know this is a record I’ll have to defend furotiously as the Cup Car was funning enough fuel and extra weight for the cool suit and such for the race, and I know the uber corvette will get there eventually. But I will have some of the Michelin Porsche Supercup tires by then and plan to give it my best. I’d imagine a couple of seconds on a fresh set of the best tires over the old yokos. Heck I’d take a fresh new set of yokos for a coupld seconds. So that track record will be smashed probably in the near future, hopefully by me.

I left with a big grin on my face and having added a track to my top 3, not sure where this one fits, but I like it better than VIR, and maybe a tad better than Barber, it has a great flow to it, and is very challenging and technical.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the record. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing your experience. You got lucky on lap1 - glad you and the car are ok. What suspension do you have? Any other mods? Any idea how your times would have been in a GT3 vs. your 996TT? And what is the full name of CMP???

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Nice Job Dez!!

what track is that?

MK

Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Congrats on the record. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing your experience. You got lucky on lap1 - glad you and the car are ok. What suspension do you have? Any other mods? Any idea how your times would have been in a GT3 vs. your 996TT? And what is the full name of CMP???

Carolina Motorsports Park. And now that I look back at the videos, CMP is BARELY behind Road Atlanta for being my favorite. The high speed turns are awesome. I'll post some vids before I head to Orlando on wednesday, but the track is TRULY awesome.

My car's mods:

Corbeau FX1 Racing seat (only 1 for competition)
AWE Straight Pipes
Flash
K24's
JIC Coilovers
GMG Roll Bar
996 GT2 Front Brakes
Brake Ducting

Car without me, weighed 3318 on a little under 3/4 tank, So I bet on the weight list I'm a little under 3300lbs. But add 225 when I get in the car.

As for a GT3, I was running a Cup Car, which is faster than a street GT3, it'd be tough for one to keep up. The driver has a few PCA class records in this car. CMP is his home track as well. I honestly think that, depending on the track, and for limited numbers of laps, my car is about as fast as the upper echelon of 996 Cup Cars. A street GT3 wouldnt be too far behind, but slower than the Cup Cars based on gear ratio, weight, and suspension. And that's bone stock for the GT3 which is quite an accomplishment. But the GT3 could do lots more laps than I could. The TT is a sprinter. The GT3 is like the Kenyans in long distance.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r7dX3wop1hU

Here is a heavily modded 996 GT3 on slicks at CMP.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
SEAN 996 is infamous around these partsSEAN 996 is infamous around these parts
Hey Dez,

Good to hear the weather didn't wash your whole weekend. Nice write up.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Time for a different suspension my man...I and 30 psi HOT?????? That seems pretty low actually. I just ran a crapper course, but was able to do some tuning with my new gt3 lower control arms...where I had been happy at with -2.7 degrees was around 38-40 psi hot...and the car was smokin'. You need to get that suspension on lock down...but let me warn you, our cars limitation isnt necessarily the speed, but like I said, the longevity is just an issue due to the weight and stress...my ABS failed again and I flatspotted two tires...time to move into something...faster...haha

Congrats on that record man! Sounds like a blast!

btw, still got that B and B exhaust...I just want that thing gone man!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I was running full slicks, non DOT Yokohama A005 scrubs. These are much different than a R6 or MPSC.

I'm not getting another exhaust before I get rid of the one I got. So post that bad boy up for sale. If you are upgrading though, I might buy some of your suspension mods if you're getting rid of the TT, or taming it down since you'll have a real race car.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
now its time to get the record at RA!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
You know I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to it without gutting the car.

I have some ideas, but have to keep them secret, at least in public.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
atl123 is infamous around these parts
Congrats Dez! Nice write-up!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Dez -

Great write-up and congrats on the time. Sounds like a fun track.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
congrats!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Sounds like a great time. Congrats!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The TT is a sprinter. The GT3 is like the Kenyans in long distance.
hilar ious

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Time @ CMP (Time Trials) LONG (but good)