996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pagid Yellows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by docdan
I've used pagid yellows on my 996TT several times over the past few years. I think they're pretty good...., but for me, I've found that the Performance Friction 01 compound brake pads seemed to have a harder initial bite, and was more resistant to fade.

That being said, I'm still using the pagid yellows on my Cayman S.
Same for me. The 01 pads do have a crazy bite...

Poor thing with good pads like Yellow, Black and 01 is that they are not rotor friendly at all. I'm not scared of little cracks on the rotors but still the rotors do not last very long, even with additional cooling provided....

Both with original and upgraded brakes the OEM rotors last only the life time of one set of Pagid racing pads...

Perhaps the reason is the holes itself, they are made by machine and the corners of the holes are very sharp, so the cracking starts very easily from those points. Someone should make the corners of the holes more rounded before installing the OEM rotors or something

I have now 01 pads and Performance Friction disks on GT2/GT3 6-pot brakes and I'm very happy. The first 01 pads I installed lasted something like 30 laps of Nordschleife...and the rotors thankfully have some life time left...

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Comment on rotor and pad life... As Mike Kelly points out, the track you go to makes a huge difference. I've run Mid-Ohio a few times, and that track is not that hard on either brakes or tires. Touch on shoulders through the twisties, though!

Going to Road America in early September, and that track is notoriously hard on brakes because it is so fast. We'll see - I haven't been there before.

As for stress cracks from the cross-drilled holes... It's just a feature of that pattern. There will always be stress concentrations at the top and bottom of the holes.

Jon

Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
01 are a bit like the Pagid Blacks, the Pagid Yellows are perfect for me, a guy who has quite a few track days under the belt.

And I like the fact that they last up to *10* HARD track days.
Got em at the best price and service from a guy at www.Rennstore.com

Just finished 2 track days with the GT3 setup and what an improvement, NO problems unlike the OEM calipers and discs....

Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Craig at www.Rennstore.com told me to bevel the leading and trailing edges at a 45 to reduce noise...now ZERO noise and I leave them on full time, street & track.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
NO kidding? How did you bevel the edges, with a course file?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned
Absolutely. Makes a HUGE difference. Recommended by Pagid, too.
It does take about 10 minutes per pad - the Pagid Yellows are tough pads to file, but worth every second of effort.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Turbo
Absolutely. Makes a HUGE difference. Recommended by Pagid, too.
It does take about 10 minutes per pad - the Pagid Yellows are tough pads to file, but worth every second of effort.
What kind of HUGE difference are we talking about? Reduction in noise or flat out stopping performance, feel, modulation, etc...?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
This is a noise only "Fix". I did it to a set, and as "the turbo" points out, it does remove the squeal!

Mike

Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned
Noise only. For me, it means I can use the pads 24/7, but then again I'm lazy.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned
Just finished beveling the track pads on the M3....NO NOISE NOW.
Best of all worlds. Thanks to Craig over at www.Rennstore.com

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 AM
paigow is on a distinguished road
If you bevel the pads, how long does it last if you leave it on for street and track? If I do 10 to 12 track days a year and use the yellows for the street, will it last me through the year? I have a 997 so will it wear down my rotor faster than the turbo/GT2 rotors?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I ran a set on the street/15 track days without issues...About 5K worth of mixed street and DE driving.

Mike

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
scott is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Turbo
Just finished beveling the track pads on the M3....NO NOISE NOW.
Best of all worlds. Thanks to Craig over at www.Rennstore.com
What do you use to bevel the edge?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned
No issues for me, either.

I used a mid-roughness file and made it almost 1/2" wide and rounded it a bit because it seemed better than the flat edge Craig at Rennstore recommended for the pads I got there. FWTW.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for the newbie question:

I've had my stock 03 GT2 for almost 3 months now and the one thing I don't like is the brake noise. I can never heat my brakes enough to quiet them down. My brake setup is totally stock (Brembo calipers, Pagid pads -painted yellow, and PCCB's). My car is strictly street. No track. Do I need these pads?, are there quieter, more friendly pads out there for street applications? I can always put the yellows back on if I ever go to the track. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pagid Yellows