996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

European vs. U.S. tuners- Do they tune differently?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 09:27 PM
David Shapiro is on a distinguished road
European vs. U.S. tuners- Do they tune differently?

In starting my due diligence regarding aftermarket mods, engine, exhaust, chips, etc. it seems that the European tuners, RUF and Gemballa, seem to tune the cars differently. They seem to emphasize torque rather than HP. I suppose that if you lived next to the Autobahn, you'd have different goals than if you live next to speedtrapville, as I do. I also suppose that tuning for the street is far different than tuning for the track, so that may play a part. I'm very curious as to what people think about this.

David Shapiro

Old 09-07-2003, 09:46 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
David,

The torque doesn't have as much to do with the tuning as it does with freeing up the intake routes and your choice of turbo's.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Torque has alot to do with the ECU tuning.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-08-2003, 01:03 AM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
I Second Wilber ^___^

520 or 540HP from Ruf is just not sufficient...(well maybe it is, but I love high HP cars even though I don't use it often)...
640-700+ is more like my taste...^_____^

Kevin

Old 09-08-2003, 04:03 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Yeah but as always those bhp figures are conservative, also the torque is astronomical on the RUF's, trust me on this

all the best
adam

Old 09-08-2003, 06:26 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Todd,

Tuning does develop torque. However, the tuning is not a secret. For that matter, not much of anything is anymore.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Parker is on a distinguished road
Wilber, what's your custom creation? Please share...

Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 AM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally posted by wilber
Look at the pics! techart GT spun out at the track is that does that mean the areo don't even work?
The current owner of your car drove it at WS while it was still yours. What happened to him? Does that say anything about your aero?

The 911 GT1-98 (Le Mans Winning car) flipped at Road Atlanta. Extending your argument, would you also say that Porsche's aerodynamic work was suspect and that they don't know what they're doing?

I have tremendous respect for the work you've done, but I don't think you're being fair to the other tuners. At one time in the not too distant past, Gemballa had the record at the ring. Not bad for being a poser's car.

Greg A

Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I guess I'm a poser.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Yep I spun the car at Streets of Willow... but that was my first time out in the car driving a car with huge turbos and significant lag. Since the Turbo system was revised, this is not as likely to happen. At the speeds that one can reach at SOW (except for the front straight), aero does not really play any part. Oh and I forgot to mention, at that time, there was no aerokit on the car (all factory aero)!!!

I think Wilber is just poking some fun at TechArt.

As far as Gemballa is concerned, the engine tuning of their cars is outsourced to Turbo Technik Pietz. Gemballa has nothing to do with the actual design of this system, they are just responsible for their ugly bodykits. Like I said before, any company that is famous for the Avalanche and Vanilla Ice is not a real tuning company, it's some pimp ****.

I ran into a guy last weekend with a Gemballa GTR600 and when he saw the setup under the hood, he was pretty amazed and called my car a "monster."

For the money, there are much better options than TechArt or Gemballa. Among the Germans, Ruf is my favorite but if you want something more race worthy, I would suggest Manthey Racing.

Adam, I am actually supposed to get with my buddy Ruf Racer soon, and I will tell post (or he will post) what he thinks of my car.

Ruf cars are wonderful and I would love to own a narrowbodied R Turbo with the Nardo engine... but none to my knowledge have broken 11 seconds on the quarter mile. But they are still one of my and wilber's favorite tuners.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by oak
I guess I'm a poser.
You're too funny Oak.

Since when did you put a TechArt or Gemballa aerokit?

Old 09-08-2003, 10:04 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I guess you haven't seen it lately. I did the full Gemballa kit.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Porsche Fiend
No ****... are you serious?

Damn, for such a mellow guy, you have an extreme side!

We need to get together sometime... I gotta see this.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:26 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Oak - pics please!!

Old 09-08-2003, 11:02 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by msindi
Oak - pics please!!
I second that Wayne......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: European vs. U.S. tuners- Do they tune differently?